3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

I was wondering the same thing. I am not sure of the actual demand for office space, with so much space now planned, but with the condo buildings being in the 20s and 30s as far as height goes, an office tower in the mid-teens seems short, and sort of sticks out in an inverted way. If that is right-sized for the market, then that is fine, but I have a feeling they could get away with ten-fifteen more stories and have the office tower's scale to the level of the housing.

As middle class housing is mostly a deadzone when people are at work, a decent sized office tower can help to activate the area during business hours. Hopefully the office space near the 3rd Ward Park can be increased to be more of a balance to all the housing and sporting uses planned for the area. A balanced set of uses will do the most for activating it around the clock.

(I agree about the name Catalyst, what is next, Enzyme? Please send the goofy chemistry names to Kannapolis. I liked Overture, because it referenced the fact that they Symphony is going to play in 3rd Ward Park when all is said and done.)

Does anyone think Novare will add floors to the office building since office space is so limited in the Uptown area?

They're probably waiting to see what Trump produces before they release a final decision on the floor number. I like the overall design of Catalyst as it ties in with the BoA design but is different enough not to just blend in.

(I agree about the name Catalyst, what is next, Enzyme? Please send the goofy chemistry names to Kannapolis. I liked Overture, because it referenced the fact that they Symphony is going to play in 3rd Ward Park when all is said and done.)

Ditto for me. Overture is a much more classic name, as in "1812 Overture." If I did live in the 3rd Ward project, I'd rather say, "I live at the Overture" than saying "I live at the Catalyst"

Ditto for me. Overture is a much more classic name, as in "1812 Overture." If I did live in the 3rd Ward project, I'd rather say, "I live at the Overture" than saying "I live at the Catalyst"

I agree......."I live at Catalyst"......."Catalyst for what?"

I agree with a prior post that the street address for the building would be a more tasteful name for the building.

Catalyst just received its building permit for footing/foundation and structural frame (with the work valued at a little over $40M) this past Friday. Actual construction is now cleared to begin immediately, though the permit for Bovis' construction trailer has yet to be approved....that shouldn't take more than another couple of days.....I certainly expect to see progress begin in July

hmmm I thought this was going to try to be more of a classy kind of developement then avenue was as a trendy chik place to live... I guess I was wrong

This is just a personal opinion, but I would think that it would be better to have trendy developments next to BoA stadium and the future ballpark. Then again, this is next to the future park, so it could go either way. I'm hoping they put more into the office tower as this spot does not scream "18 story office tower" to me. Something on this prime real estate should be at least in the upper twenties to justify itself.

About a year ago I saw the CEO of Novarre speak about the new 3rd Ward projects. He said that they would be more upscale than the Avenue and would include larger units than what is available in the Avenue. I noticed on the information request section of their website they only list one and two bedroom units. Maybe the other buildings will be a bit more luxury than Catalyst.

No surprise here, but to make it official the structural building permit for Catalyst and its associated parking deck were issued on Friday. 494,161 sq ft for Catalyst and 462 units. The parking deck will be 7 levels and 337,000 sq ft.

Any idea how many vehicles the deck will accomodate?

If I'm not mistaken this is the adjacent parking deck that will serve twelve, the catalyst and the office tower. Am I correct in thinking this? I am not sure the number of parking spaces, however.

Edited by Guest

I'm fairly positive that none of them sit upon a parking deck, which is making me wonder if that is enough parking for three towers. Its about 48k sq feet per floor of parking. I'm hoping its around 1,500 spots to accomodate 862 condos and 150 suites, as well as a 18 story office building. It would be nicer if it accomodated 2000+ which would help support baseball fans and parkgoers, but I think that is asking for a lot of spaces out of a 340 k sq ft building, with street level retail.

Edited by Guest

There is actually more than enough parking already there to accommdate baseball and park events, as well as ambiant visitorship to the park and various other neary locations. Church Street is filled with parking decks, and crossing Tryon, just two blocks from the park, gives you access to many many more parking decks.

As long as the decks on the Novare land accommodate the new parking associated with office tower, you will also have those as spaces for evening and weekend visitorship.

Note that a major reason for putting baseball in 3rd Ward was the ability to use existing under-utilized parking structures. That infrastructure already exists right now, all we need are places to go, to bring people here to fill them.

I might have missed it, but if not I'm suprised nobody's brought up the rendering of the office tower shown in the O last Thurs. Had a glimpse of what twelve will look like in the background as well. Might just be lacking an online version for the moment or something. I'm also interested to see what the overall heights of these buildings come out to be so I can update my database. Seems like developments uptown have gotten more and more stingy about releasing structural heights.