3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

BTW, I swear that is what the original "Twelve" over in 1st ward was supposed to look like. Would they take that plan and just use it for Catalyst?

weird.

Would not surprise me. They were already at the final construction documents phase with the Twelve First Ward project before it was cancelled. That represents a significant investment reaching if not surpassing the $1M mark. Instead of junking the plans and all that invested money it makes sense to me to reuse those same plans with minor modifications for the Third Ward site.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look closely at the second picture or visit the actual site, you'll see that the action and cranes are closer to the corner of MLK and Church than MLK and Mint. It's a huge block between Church and Mint and can be somewhat deceptive from various angles.

That's an awesome second picture capturing the skyline view from the site. With the open block north of the site due to the new park, owners on the skyline facing side of the building are going to have forever-open and amazing views of the skyline, park, and new baseball stadium. Those in the upper floors might even be able to watch a game from their balcony. How cool would that be?

Hot off the presses Jul 23 2007.

The whole site:

2007-07-23%20buildings%20010.jpg

Two tank-tread cranes on-site. Round "pipes" of re-bar on the right. Pipe laying at the top of the activity zone. Auger bits in the foreground. Last week they were using the auger bits (some of which look 6 feet in diameter) to dig large holes, into which they then lowered the big fat pipes. I think the orange thingy was turning the drill shaft, but don't quote me on that.

2007-07-23%20buildings%20011.jpg

Close-up of the auger bits. Also, the hole is under the wood pallette.

2007-07-23%20buildings%20013.jpg

That's all the new photos. My album of previous photos is here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rodney.gardner/NovareProject

Edited by grodney

The Park is going where the buildings are accross the road on the right hand side of the above picture. This is between mint, 3rd, church, and MLK/2nd. The Baseball Stadium is accross mint from the proposed park. It is situated between graham, mint, 4th and mlk/2nd.

Edited by Guest

The Building is going where the buildings are accross the road on the right hand side of the above picture.

I think this is supposed to say "The *Park* is going ....".

In other words, in the above photos, the park is to the right, and the baseball is to the upper-right.

There are probably a thousand maps, but here's one more (if this actually works):

Google Map of Novare, Park, and Baseball

Excellent find. Twelve looks like a slightly taller, less elongated version of the Twelve at Atlanta Station....not that its a bad thing. I wouldn't mid that green glass being used here. The accompaning article says Twelve will be 32 stories instead of 39 reported before.

I'm digging the office tower design, but it probably looks for interesting from above than it would from the street.

I hope that Poplar St. is extended through the site, but this isn't conclusive. I would have also like a street running between Church and Poplar (splitting Catalyst and the office tower) but that doesn't appear to the case in this rendering.

Woah, thank you, that rendering is awesome, nice find. And thanx grodney for the correction I did indeed mean park, not building.

I get the feeling from the rendering and from logic that Twelve, though only 3 stories taller, will be much taller than avenue. For some time i have felt that the avenue is is not a 36 story tower, just a 26 story tower with a parking deck. If I'm not correct I believe Twelve is supposed to be 39 stories with a detached parking deck. So I'm guessing that twelve will be about the height of the Interstate tower or the old IJL building. Can anybody confirm this?

Edited by Guest

I think that rendering looks great and I'm glad to actually know for sure where the park is. I knew it was around there. O yah by the way I have to walk by the Novare site everyday to work and they are moving a long at a very fast pace, Novare doesn't mess around.

Anyone know if Furman still has plans to develop the lot along the western edge of the planned ballpark...between Mint and the train tracks? This lot is fenced in currently and I think there's an old abandoned paint store of some type on the property. There was a statement in a thread awhile back that Furman had an option on the land and planned condos there...but that was back when West Park was going to basically occupy the land where the ballpark is currently planned. Any ideas on this "outparcel"?

Currently that lot is being used by Batson Cook to support construction of Wachovia (I think). I'm not sure if Furman has any plans for the site. I heard several months ago that he did, but it wasn't from the most credible source.

I spoke with a credible source the other day about that site because there is a sample wall with windows that was recently built there. The paint store is being retrofitted for something as well. The source said Wachovia bought or controls the site and it appears that the paint store might be used for sales or something with the new Wachovia building and the wall erected is a sample of what the exterior will look like (like the one they built at Metropolitan to show buyers what the building exterior will be built of).