3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Thanks for posting the pic and link, bc8.

When I first read that the office building component of the project was to be a low rise, I was a little disappointed. Seemed almost like a waste of prime land. But now after seeing the newest pic of the three buildings together, it all makes sense. The juxtaposition of the three structures looks excellent.

The office building is quite attractive too. I'm so glad it's not just a box. Will be exciting to see the colors of glass Novare uses in this project!

Edited by Charlotteman

Thanks for posting the pic and link, bc8.

When I first read that the office building component of the project was to be a low rise, I was a little disappointed. Seemed almost like a waste of prime land. But now after seeing the newest pic of the three buildings together, it all makes sense. The juxtaposition of the three structures looks excellent.

The office building is quite attractive too. I'm so glad it's not just a box. Will be exciting to see the colors of glass Novare uses in this project!

I agree, that rendering is superb and the 3 buildings together seem to really have some synergy between them. There's a lot of potential in this project... a lot.

While if the office tower were taller, it would block the view from Catalyst's units facing that direction, I am left wishing that they would build that curved portion taller. The boxy part I could do without, but I really like the waved upper portion and wish they had made it go further up to make this building stand out just a little more. Because, as was said before, this building will only be interesting from above.

I did drive through Atlanta yesterday and I really like how their Twelve at AS looks. I'm hoping we're that lucky when it comes to the finished product.

Atlanta's version is nice but whenever I drive through Atlantic Station it always seems so cold with that exposed concrete.

These three buildings look incredible together! More detail could be added to the office building (I'm not a fan of its boxiness) but I love the wave on top. The glass looks to be an emerald or forest green that should look spectacular in Uptown when finished.

I think the office building as rendered here will still look interesting from the ground. The curved portion sticks up far enough that from the ground you will see it curve and disappear behind the flat portion of the building. I think that would look quite interesting, and even leave a bit to the imagination. From that perspective, it could look perhaps even cooler than from the ground where the "S"-like curve almost looks borderline-tacky stuck on top of a rectangular-based building.

I just talked to a friend last night who is moving into the Avenue and they mentioned to me that they aren't closing until late November or early December. I am under the impression that presales for Catalyst wouldn't occur until after the Avenue residents have closed, since Novare would be using the same sales center. Anyone have any insight as to when to when Catalyst presales might be occur and whether my assumption is correct.

On a side note I can't wait until Novare releases some more information about the building (i.e. floor plans and amenities). Also thanks to everyone who has posted pictures, they look great.

Edited by PwC Keith

I think the office building as rendered here will still look interesting from the ground. The curved portion sticks up far enough that from the ground you will see it curve and disappear behind the flat portion of the building. I think that would look quite interesting, and even leave a bit to the imagination. From that perspective, it could look perhaps even cooler than from the ground where the "S"-like curve almost looks borderline-tacky stuck on top of a rectangular-based building.

In Doug Smith's article in the link below, it says, "Novare plans to begin selling Catalyst units in early 2008 and move owners into the tower starting in early 2009." That's about what I had expected given the way Novare waited to start selling the Avenue until it was well under way. By then, they may have made progress on the park and/or baseball stadium, which may increase the attraction to buyers if they can actually see the surrounding blocks evolving.

http://www.charlotte.com/business/columnis...ory/176912.html

So the fourth building that was proposed is now going to be office? That's what is seems to say at the end of the article, but maybe someone else can explain about the fourth tower. Also, is there going to be any official release of renderings for the office tower and Twelve?

page 18 post 343, this is about as good as it gets, they werent kidding when the said it would resemble twelve atlantic station.

Novare still plans one more Third Ward project -- a 29- to 33-story condo tower -- on the Packard Building site at Church and Third streets.

Skillbeck said that building is still in use as offices, and there is no immediate plan to proceed with construction there.

This is referring to the packard building site. They are saying the packard building is till being used for offices, so the 4th tower is a little more in the future.

Edited by Guest

From the 19th floor of 400 South Tryon:

20070803%20009.jpg

20070803%20011.jpg

From the 13th floor of the Energy Center. Note the washout behind the office trailer. Looks like a couple more gullywashers could cause some trouble.

20070803%20003.jpg

As mentioned earlier, they're working on pilings. I think each of the square capped holes is a piling, (soon to be?) filled with cement and re-bar. They were pouring cement in one of them yesterday, but I don't know how many are done. The two orange vehicles (top-left and top-right) are augers, and then they have an orange drive that turns the auger shaft hanging from the nearest crane. So, up to three holes being augered at once.

20070803%20004.jpg

ETA: Cement/concrete, whatever.

Edited by grodney

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like 300 S. Tryon is pushing back there pre-sales. Anyone heard whether Catalyst pre-sales will be pushed back further than the expected Jan/Feb timeframe?

I was under the impression that the sales center would open almost immediatly afer The Avenue is complete. Some had even said that the same sales center would be used for Catalyst. If that is the case, then we should see a transition of the current Avenue sales office becoming the Catalyst sales office before years end. (or perhaps I am totally off base and the Sales Center will be somewhere else entirely. Just passing along what I heard so take it for its worth. :) )

A2

Edited by A2

I was under the impression that the sales center would open almost immediatly afer The Avenue is complete. Some had even said that the same sales center would be used for Catalyst. If that is the case, then we should see a transition of the current Avenue sales office becoming the Catalyst sales office before years end. (or perhaps I am totally off base and the Sales Center will be somewhere else entirely. Just passing along what I heard so take it for its worth. :) )

A2

There is a "for lease" sign in the window of the current Avenue sales office. I wonder if they will have an office in Avenue.

Per Doug Smith, Novare won't begin selling Catalyst units until early 2008. Given market conditions though, I wouldn't be surprised if that's pushed back similar to 300 S. Tryon.

http://www.charlotte.com/business/columnis...ory/176912.html

300's sales office is supposed to open within the next week or two. They are almost done with the build-out of their space on Tryon street.

If Avenue is the model Novare will use, they began pre-sales after the building had actually started (just barely) going up. They like the opposite of what other unmentionable buildings have done -- you don't need confidence as to whether they will build before you hand over thousands in deposits, you can drive by and see that your money won't be held indefinitely.

sry if this has already been spoken of, but are they to begin the office building anytime soon?

I've not heard at all, but would have to assume, at least to some degree, that they would start other elements of this project while they are building Catalyst since they have so much equipment on site -- they could save quite a bit with economies of scale.

As I reported a couple days ago, they have begun doing drilling on the office building site. This is the first work I've seen on anything other than Catalyst. Also, they've added what appears (to me) to be a wash-off grate next to 1st St, right between the office building and the parking deck. It looks like they will be adding truck access from that side, though that's probably for access to Catalyst as much as the office building.

Yes! You're right, I think that's new today. There is a blue crane going up near the (what I call) west side of Catalyst. That is, on the Residence Inn side of Catalyst.

I saw them digging/pouring that pad (slightly below grade) last week, but didn't know what it was for. I can't tell if the crane is quite as big as the tower cranes at Wachovia, but it looks pretty large. There is one piece vertical (and anchored), with another sitting at the ready.

Edited by grodney