3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Thanks for posting.....this gives us our first realistic idea of what Twelve will look like. Not bad.

However, I just became really annoyed by one aspect of this project. That parking deck is atrocious. I really wish that they would have spent the money to go subterranian, and built a plaza over the top, until they felt comfortable adding a 4th tower. As it is, with deeded parking spaces in this deck, they can never demolish it for another building. Perhaps they are building it strong enough to support another tower ontop a la The Park. I hope so, or screen this thing with an attractive facade please!

I'm proud to welcome the project but am also annoyed by the parking garage. With a project that has 3 buildings and a centralized location, I would have prefered to see this as a meeting place or something on the lines of the Green. I know that this site will be bordering the new park, but I still wish that there was a common area that had a pedestrian intention, possibly with a large local landmark like a fountain. It would make the project come together, and almost be a city within a city, someplace where you can go and hangout in one block.

I would have liked to see twelve set back from the street where the parking deck is with underground parking beneath. Then they could have built a underground deck beneath the space twelve is to occupy now, and place a continuation park from 3rd ward park.

From that rendering the garage only appears to be about six stories or so, is this the case? Seems like a lot of building space for that few spots. Anyways, parking garages are a crap shoot with Novare, sometimes they're nice, but more often than not they seem to focus very little attention on concealing them.

I have to wonder if the parking deck is a result of the granite under the site. I have no idea how much extra expense that adds when going underground, but they are removing some now (there is a huge pile of large chunks near the MLK/Graham intersection now). I've always heard that center city sits on solid bedrock and it looks like this might be the case for this site. Maybe it doens't make a difference and they would have done an above ground deck anyway, but this might be the reason they didn't go down further.

I have to wonder if the parking deck is a result of the granite under the site. I have no idea how much extra expense that adds when going underground, but they are removing some now (there is a huge pile of large chunks near the MLK/Graham intersection now). I've always heard that center city sits on solid bedrock and it looks like this might be the case for this site. Maybe it doens't make a difference and they would have done an above ground deck anyway, but this might be the reason they didn't go down further.

Well remember granite was an issue and a cost problem with the parking garage on the LRT. That could very well be one of the problems and are avoiding it. There are some nice parking garages out there if done right and conceiled, so we can only hope if a parking garage is so that it is done with positiveness.

That above-ground parking garage is a blatant waste of extremely valuable property.

But Novare did a very nice job visually integrating Avenue's garage with its surroundings. Hopefully they will do as well with their 3rd Ward garage.

I do agree, the Avenue was done nicely for as big as it is. Novare knows what they are doing, so although I had the idea of the garage as a centralized structure, I'm sure the outcome will come out better than preliminary thoughts.

As far as the property value, I completely agree. Uptown land is so valuable now that it almost seems like a waste to build any parking garage that's not creatively integrated and not using "raw green space."

Good news regarding this site... this is speculation, but it appears things are about to be going verticle. Rebar is on site (as it has been) but now there are footers in place with steel bolts for the rebar. I'm not an expert in this so maybe someone can back this up. Here is a photo with what I mean (from today)...

Uptown006.jpg

These photos are the complete site from Saturday from the Mint St. Garage:

Uptown017.jpg

Uptown016.jpg

First I'd like to thank everyone who has been posting update pictures on the site. They look great and since I don't get Uptown everyday it is awesome seeing the progress beign made. :thumbsup:

I have a few questions though.

Question 1: For those that don't know they recently updated the website and it has a little more than just the registration page (a little more info and one new link), but on that page it says that they expect completion by Spring '09. This is different than all the other published dates of Winter '09. I personally think it seems unreasonable for them to complete the garage and a 27 story building in a little over a year. Anyone have any idea which date is accurate or more reasonable?

Question 2: From one of the other posts it looks like they have determined the sales center location, but does anyone know when they might open that sales center? My guess is that it won't open til the Avenue units are closed, but thats just a guess.

Again thanks for everyone's posts and I look forward to any help from anyone on my questions.

Edited by PwC Keith

First I'd like to thank everyone who has been posting update pictures on the site. They look great and since I don't get Uptown everyday it is awesome seeing the progress beign made. :thumbsup:

I have a few questions though.

Question 1: For those that don't know they recently updated the website and it has a little more than just the registration page (a little more info and one new link), but on that page it says that they expect completion by Spring '09. This is different than all the other published dates of Winter '09. I personally think it seems unreasonable for them to complete the garage and a 27 story building in a little over a year. Anyone have any idea which date is accurate or more reasonable?

Question 2: From one of the other posts it looks like they have determined the sales center location, but does anyone know when they might open that sales center? My guess is that it won't open til the Avenue units are closed, but thats just a guess.

Again thanks for everyone's posts and I look forward to any help from anyone on my questions.

Ques 1: No idea... to me if it were any other builder/project, then absolutely no on the deadline. But Novare has been flying on this project, the site is always packed with action day-after-day, and I even saw some late night (after 6:30 and weekend work being done on site). I would think that they may be able to pull off the Spring 09 date, but that would be only the tower and garage, not the other buildings of course.

Ques 2: I was under the impression that it was said the sales center would reuse the same space as Avenue's. With that being said, it still doesn't answer the question for you. Theoretically, if they still needed the Avenue Space, they could just share the sales center space for both projects, but then again, it looks like Avenue should wrap up soon, anyway.

It's just a shame that the most unique part of the office tower (the "S" shaped center section) will only be seen from above. From ground level, it's just lost in the large slab-like sides. If they made that center S about 4 stories taller, the interest factor would increase tremendously.

I agree, its most striking features are very limited. By all means, it's a beautiful building, but at the same time it looks like the Hearst Tower/ IJL Area with the creme cement structure, and tinted glass. TWELVE seems to be the most striking of the buildings, and I do wish that creative S-Curve was brough out and embrased better, possibly throughout the whole building. I do enjoy the density of the corner, will compliment that green space of the park and stadium around it well.

Ques 2: I was under the impression that it was said the sales center would reuse the same space as Avenue's. With that being said, it still doesn't answer the question for you. Theoretically, if they still needed the Avenue Space, they could just share the sales center space for both projects, but then again, it looks like Avenue should wrap up soon, anyway.

There is a For Lease sign in the window of the Ave sales center. I wonder if they will occupy a space IN Avenue. Would make sense -- they could easily show off their amenies and unit finishes by being on site of one of their projects.

There is a For Lease sign in the window of the Ave sales center. I wonder if they will occupy a space IN Avenue. Would make sense -- they could easily show off their amenies and unit finishes by being on site of one of their projects.

If they don't think of that, you should suggest it. That's a brilliant idea. Plus, in the short term, it will bring some life to a retail space in Ave (do we know of anything planned for that building's retail yet?).

I posted this somewhere earlier in the thread, but the sales center will be at 222 S. Church St.

Looks like another tower crane is going in. This one right next to Church St. Great view from the sidewalk right now.

Yup, the base is cemented in, should be this next week (unless they do it this weekend), as far as going completely up. Here's the photo update, complete update here and some highlights as following:

09-28-07005.jpg

09-28-07013.jpg09-28-07031.jpg

Also to note, you can see all of the steel footers being prepared, as well as the insane amount of rebar on site. Things should begin going vertical very soon!

Edited by Andyc545