3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

• 2 weeks later...

The Packard building is owned by Novare at Church and 3rd, but that is a future project. The TWELVE Charlotte is going on the large block where Duke Power building was, between 1st, 2nd (MLK), Mint and Church. So it makes sense that this is going at the SE corner of Mint and 2nd/MLK and the other building going to the SW corner of Church and 2nd/MLK. Those locations would be consistent with the announcements to build the first few towers on the large block between 1st and 2nd, then build the office tower and another tower on that block, and then lastly building over the Packard site.

I think the two new buildings (Ovature and 12) would be separated by a newly revived Poplar Street connection MLK (2nd) to 1st.

I'm really looking forward to the design of these....I almost wish that Twelve is shorter than Ovature, to see a graceful step up in the skyline...but I know skyline aesthetics have little interest to developers. I also hope the buildings have some setbacks from MLK at the 10th floor of so, to make sure plenty of light gets to the park.

I looked all over for this information on Novare's website and couldn't find it either... if it was posted and removed, what does that say about the project?

Probably just that they are changing something. Of all the developers in town Novare so far has always done everything when they say they will once announced. This isn't officially announced with dates yet, but they have a couple of these buildings out for bid already and are doing site work.

Tomorrow's a big day, the old Duke Power building is scheduled to be imploded @ 7:30 am. I'll still be sleeping, but hope someone captures some good photos.

I looked all over for this information on Novare's website and couldn't find it either... if it was posted and removed, what does that say about the project?

Not sure if this is what your looking for but there is info on the Novare site under news.

Novare Group Intensifies Focus on Third Ward

Tomorrow's a big day, the old Duke Power building is scheduled to be imploded @ 7:30 am. I'll still be sleeping, but hope someone captures some good photos.

Not sure if this is what your looking for but there is info on the Novare site under news.

Novare Group Intensifies Focus on Third Ward

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/storie...ng.ad7c744.html

Click on the link for a video of the implosion.

But if the cycle draws down or stops after a few years....

Interesting .... I heard the VERY same thing about Novare! This from a senior realtor/broker in Atlanta, who has been working there 30+ years .... said he and his other colleagues felt that Novare cared not one bit about glutting the market, and that (since they have their own management co. arm of their corporation) could simply run the places any way that they chose ... don't know what that means, but one can interpret it many diff't ways!

It's crazy how fast things happen here in Charlotte. With everything going on, this side of uptown is changing weekly. And now there's talk of Trump building towers here too!

Anyway, I'll bet most children born today would have no idea this was Charlotte in 20 years. Is this one of the gems that should have been kept? IMO, I'm fine with it if parts of the facade are used. This building didn't have much going for it except for a couple detailed elements around the front entrance. Plus the building was way too close to the curb. I think there should be a 25ft min. on all sidewalks in uptown around future developements. Even if they put retail on that first floor, there was no sidewalk to support pedestrian traffic - something this side of uptown will soon see alot more of.

What do you guys think? Here's a before/after from a similar vantage point...

11-05-06

large.jpg

2-24-07

large.jpg

It was definitely removed before the implode, who knows what they are going to do with it though.

Are you sure about that? Late last week I walked by and thought it was all wrecked up. I assumed they had some machinery fit through the door, and cracked up the edges. I might be recollecting it slightly wrong, but at the time, I came to terms that nothing architectural was going to be salvaged for reuse, except possibly the light fixtures, which were gone.

Interesting .... I heard the VERY same thing about Novare! This from a senior realtor/broker in Atlanta, who has been working there 30+ years .... said he and his other colleagues felt that Novare cared not one bit about glutting the market, and that (since they have their own management co. arm of their corporation) could simply run the places any way that they chose ... don't know what that means, but one can interpret it many diff't ways!

One of their reps told me the same but with more detail: one of the reasons they can begin a building before any sales, and one of the reasons their unit mix has mostly smaller units, is they can switch with no real changes to the buildings they build if the market slows or drops. They can hold and rent the places as apartments. Very high end buildings and buildings with a larger percentage of big units would have a more difficult time doing this should the same happen.

Edited by Charlotte_native