3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Yeah, I think its a good example of a pretty tame apartment design elevated to something really nice by a thoughtful and contrasting street level treatment (on 2 sides at least). 

I haven't seen it in person, and frankly I hate every building Urbana Architorture has designed in Charlotte, and I really dislike 85% of this building, however the streetlevel presence and the angle of the building more than make up for it to me.

Woodfield at Graham changed their project description. It looks like they are now going to bury the parking. 2 floors subterranean with 5 floors of apartments on top, they also added an extra 40 apartments bringing the total to 270. Hopefully the choice to bury the parking will open up street level for stoops and/or retail.

Woodfield at Graham changed their project description. It looks like they are now going to bury the parking. 2 floors subterranean with 5 floors of apartments on top, they also added an extra 40 apartments bringing the total to 270. Hopefully the choice to bury the parking will open up street level for stoops and/or retail.

Is there a time frame for this project? I only ask because my wife currently parks in that diagonal surface lot (behind the industrial building) where I believe this project is slated to go.

Is there a time frame for this project? I only ask because my wife currently parks in that diagonal surface lot (behind the industrial building) where I believe this project is slated to go.

I don't think it'll break ground until 2nd qtr 2014.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the scale of the sign is pretty appropriate...it looks good in person, and probably will be pretty cool lit up.  I do hope they put up some awning, but I'm not expecting too much of a full custom facade.  It's a residential building, so I wouldn't think the people living 3 feet above this sign want something blaring (cue Seinfeld episode reference).

This is going to really bring a lot of foot traffic I bet. 

I do hope once the Childress Klein apartment building gets fully leased up that they convert the model units on the ground floor into real retail....1/2 the ground floor is being taken up by the model units, that seems really unnecessary for the long term.

They have started the submittal process for Woodfield Graham. Hopefully soon we will get a look at some architectural drawings/renderings. Looking like 300 units, maybe some livework/retail.

How many floors would that be?

Edit:

Around 6

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/04/woodfield-eyeing-uptown-site-near.html?r=full

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I'm ok with it being 6 stories. Not everything in uptown has to be greater than 20 stories. This will be a nice infill project and provide some density to that area around the new ballpark.

I agree. If the goal is to fill in the empty space between the park and Gateway, this is a good step.

It is a pretty tough location surrounded by a substation, a greyhound station, the 'back' of the ballpark, and constantly running freight tracks.   I think 6 story urban block apartments are really lucky to be the density we are able to get, and is similar to the other Graham apartment buildings in 4th Ward. 

Of course we all prefer taller, but it is not something to be ashamed of.  

Frankly, once the outer-more lots are taken, it makes the inner blocks more valuable and able to draw taller projects.

• Like 2

I like 6 stories... Just not "Charlotte" 6 stories. Meaning I would want a more... Townehome/ratcliffe look above retail look than something that looks like you went to Home Depot and bought a generic building.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Man, looking at aerials of 3rd Ward is so exciting.

Even though a lot of the buildings will be low rise, it adds so much density to what was otherwise fields & parking lots. We have the BB&T hotel, hotel behind Trademark, the apartments beside the old Courthouse and the 7 story apartments behind BBT stadium along Graham.

:) it's exciting that's 3rd ward will no longer be a waiste land.