3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

I'm kind of curious why they call it "at Cedar Yard" at all considering Cedar Yard was much further into uptown.  But whatevs.

Indeed, Cedar Yard used to be where the Mint Street Parking deck / BB&T stadium are located on the other side of the NS tracks... Today's "Station at Cedar Yard" is the terminus of the abandoned P&N railway lines now owned by NCDOT from Cedar Street to State Street around Seversville Park.  NCDOT bought the ROW from CSX in the early 90's after they filed with the STB to abandon freight service.  It's good to see the Wesley Heights Greenway utilizing this abandoned ROW for something useful in Seversville Park...

Amazingly, CRTPO still lists Cedar Yard on its website as a terminus for passenger rail service, but I guess Charlotte 2030 never got the memo.  LOL

http://www.crtpo.org/piedmont-northern-reactivation-and-cedar-yards-improvements

Yes, once upon a time it was used for tailgating.  May still be.  There was a very cheaply made bar a few years back and a storage shed.

Indeed, Cedar Yard used to be where the Mint Street Parking deck / BB&T stadium are located on the other side of the NS tracks... Today's "Station at Cedar Yard" is the terminus of the abandoned P&N railway lines now owned by NCDOT from Cedar Street to State Street around Seversville Park.  NCDOT bought the ROW from CSX in the early 90's after they filed with the STB to abandon freight service.  It's good to see the Wesley Heights Greenway utilizing this abandoned ROW for something useful in Seversville Park...

Amazingly, CRTPO still lists Cedar Yard on its website as a terminus for passenger rail service, but I guess Charlotte 2030 never got the memo.  LOL

http://www.crtpo.org/piedmont-northern-reactivation-and-cedar-yards-improvements

Yeah the last industry that was worked down there around Cedar St. was Jones Chemical which I imagine moved out to Chemway sometime during construction of the stadium.  After that, the only industry worked on that leg of the P&N (as opposed to the leg that turned down towards Thrift just before State St.) was Carolina Paperboard... and I believe that went out around '07 or so from what I've been told.  This place:

http://binged.it/1c1SrB3

It's all very sad, really.  What once was but never again will be.  The amount of work that was once down towards Thrift and Cedar and now... all of it, gone.

There used to be a switching yard there before The Panthers. We even had a spur from it that ran next to our building (Cedar Hill). Makes sense to me they'd call it Cedar Yard since it was on Cedar Street.

The switching yard was much further into Uptown, past the Southern.  It was taken out sometime in the 70s I believe.

Edited by TotalLamer

Here's some good pics if anyone's interested.

Article they come from if anyone's interested:  http://wvncrails.weebly.com/piedmont--northernyesterday-and-today.html

Indeed, the person who created the WVNC Rails website deserves a big shout of thanks from all of us for digging into the history of the P&N and AT&O railroads whose abandoned lines we talk about to this day in this forum...

Here is another map of uptown Charlotte from 1919 that shows the RR lines against the streets of the day:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/charlotte_nc_1919.jpg

One thing I noticed in both maps is the fact that the current Norfolk Southern/NCRR line next to the stadium had a spur to the "A" Line a block or so north of Morehead Street.  I wonder, is this the same spur that goes around BofA Stadium and dead ends next to Charlotte Observer property around Church Street?:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=The+Charlotte+Observer,+South+Tryon+Street,+Charlotte,+NC&hl=en&ll=35.223838,-80.851497&spn=0.000905,0.001321&sll=35.240335,-80.867497&sspn=0.005117,0.010568&oq=charlotte+ob&hq=The+Charlotte+Observer,&hnear=S+Tryon+St,+Charlotte,+North+Carolina&t=h&z=20

It would be great if we could get an answer to the question of where the spur from NCRR to the "A" Line was located... anyone?

On my walk past new Mellow Mushroom this morning they have their hours posted... Mon-Wed 11a-12a Thu-Sat 11a- 4a

4am wow.  Hope that works for them.  Also in Friday night they had their invitation only opening, the place was packed at about 8pm.

Real opening is tomorrow at 11a.  Can't wait to go in this week.

• Like 1

Here is the Church St. sign! It looks great, and what I could see inside looked really nice. There are some cool retro sci-fi style posters covering the windows of the adjacent space on Church St. too. The patio space is nothing too creative, but you can see how the front one is fenced off there and I guess I like that its only a minimal barrier from the rest of the sidewalk. 

1OSh8lK.jpg

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 1

Saw images on CBJ story related to their opening, and maybe the interior is a little contrived, but I'm not sure it matters, this place is absolutely going to crush it.  I'm beyond estactic on their hours.  Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the hours of Starbucks across the street?

I would still like to see a 24-hour breakfast all day type of place open up in Uptown.

I cut Mellow Mushroom a lot of slack in the interior design department because they really strive to make each of their 100+ locations feel different on the inside. This retro-future look is not going to be everyone's cup of tea but frankly a lot of the other appropriate funky themes were taken! 

Pretty sure that new Starbucks has been closed on Sundays when I pass by, which is pretty lame, but I'm sure it will change as foot traffic increases in the area. 

Saw images on CBJ story related to their opening, and maybe the interior is a little contrived, but I'm not sure it matters, this place is absolutely going to crush it.  I'm beyond estactic on their hours.  Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the hours of Starbucks across the street?

I would still like to see a 24-hour breakfast all day type of place open up in Uptown.

someone tried on fifth street, it didn't last. between the midnight diner and matties, I think we're pretty covered.

• Like 1

someone tried on fifth street, it didn't last. between the midnight diner and matties, I think we're pretty covered.

I'm probably not as picky as the late night crowd but I thought their closing was more due to the food being terrible.

With the crowd at Midnight Diner around 2am on the weekend I think we could support one Uptown if the quality is there.

I'm probably not as picky as the late night crowd but I thought their closing was more due to the food being terrible.

With the crowd at Midnight Diner around 2am on the weekend I think we could support one Uptown if the quality is there.

Yes. And their unwillingness to change it when customers complained. It was dead on arrival. I knew the owner and the first time I bought food there it was terrible.  I politely told the owner when seeing him out that the food we had ordered wasn't good. He responded with "that's how we do it".

That attitude = Fail

I wonder if we see other businesses nearby change their hours due to increased foot traffic. I know American Roadside and the Japanese place next door cater mostly to the business, M-F crowd.

The Japanese place is open until 9 and there is usually a fair amount of business when I eat there in the evening. A lot of it seems to be pickup orders though.

this is a total ripoff of their facebook page, but this photo is particularly awesome:

1510440_185591588303278_1911611448_n.jpg

I especially like the incremental Christmas lights on the patios halfway up and at the top, almost looks planned in relation to this storefront.  I've been to a couple Mellow Mushrooms before and had never put two and two together that they are all different.  But I do remember them being particularly quirky.  That's what they go for.

• Like 1