3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2014-01-30 at 10.40.10 AM.png

Here are the callouts for the front materials.

That sounds pretty decent especially because of the stone. The stucco up top is pretty minimal in proportion to the glass and seems to have plenty of different levels to it. It always looks bad when attempting a large uniform flat space, but I don't think that will be a big issue here.

Question, since I haven't seen a siteplan for this but judging from the 2 elevations, this does wrap around Celebs to actually reach the corner of 4th and Graham, right? Originally I thought this building would just be a rectangle and there would still be a small lot left at the corner behind/beside Celebs. 

That sounds pretty decent especially because of the stone. The stucco up top is pretty minimal in proportion to the glass and seems to have plenty of different levels to it. It always looks bad when attempting a large uniform flat space, but I don't think that will be a big issue here.

Question, since I haven't seen a siteplan for this but judging from the 2 elevations, this does wrap around Celebs to actually reach the corner of 4th and Graham, right? Originally I thought this building would just be a rectangle and there would still be a small lot left at the corner behind/beside Celebs. 

FYI there are TWO retail spaces. A tiny One in the front as well. Here is the approved siteplan.

post-17104-0-69946400-1391097049_thumb.p

FYI there are TWO retail spaces. A tiny One in the front as well. Here is the approved siteplan.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2014-01-30 at 10.53.39 AM.png

What is it with Charlotte developers?  They do the absolute least just to appease zoning and planning, and because of it, end up with tiny spaces that are never leased because they're unworkable spaces for any viable retail business.  

• Like 2

What is it with Charlotte developers?  They do the absolute least just to appease zoning and planning, and because of it, end up with tiny spaces that are never leased because they're unworkable spaces for any viable retail business.  

The 4th st. Retail is actually pretty big. It has some hope. The small one along trade on the other hand... yea... I can think of dozens of concepts that would work there, if it were closer to the square, but nothing that will bring foot traffic over there can fit in that space.

Edited by Guest

Is it any smaller than Little Village Grill over in Gateway? 

I don't mind the tiny storefront.  That means it will be cheap space that will feel cluttered and hectic....and that's ok sometimes.

The thing to remember is there isn't a ton of demand yet for retail.  As Uptown becomes more packed with people, things like portions of leasing offices and even some parking spots will be converted into retail.  In NYC, the busiest retail areas have retail rents 25x higher than office rents in the same building.  In Charlotte, there is at most 1.25x higher for retail than office.  Now Charlotte will never be NYC as far as retail demand, but certainly can see retail rents being 2-3x office rents at some point, which would justify converting a lot of uses at ground floors into retail spaces.

How does a leasing office count as retail. What suburban developer snuck that exception in? I can see it now once all the lots around Romare Bearden are built-out, we can have a lovely stroll district of leasing offices fronting the park. The leasing agents will love their views. This city cannot do urban well, SMH.

How does a leasing office count as retail. What suburban developer snuck that exception in? I can see it now once all the lots around Romare Bearden are built-out, we can have a lovely stroll district of leasing offices fronting the park. The leasing agents will love their views. This city cannot do urban well, SMH.

The idea is that the leasing offices can easily be converted once leasing is completed and the buildings are sold to larger entities that can take the risk of developing the retail spaces.

I hope y'all are right.  The last time I was over at Gateway on 5th St, there were still tiny retail spaces available (and they've been available for 7 years now).  There are also spaces in the Green parking garage that have never been leased. Large spaces can be broken up into smaller ones.  Tiny spaces just stay tiny.

I hope y'all are right.  The last time I was over at Gateway on 5th St, there were still tiny retail spaces available (and they've been available for 7 years now).  There are also spaces in the Green parking garage that have never been leased. Large spaces can be broken up into smaller ones.  Tiny spaces just stay tiny.

In gateway there are soooo many retail spaces available. In the office buildings and in the apartments. There's a lot of people that work and live in gateway, I am rather surprised nothing survives (other than Starbucks and Chick Fil A). 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Another possible high rise is in the works at the preferred parking surface lot that is bordered by Poplar, 3rd & Mint St. Description for the project is 3 levels of underground parking, 26 levels above grade comprised of retail, commercial and residential. 

woah woah!!  :shok:  :yahoo: where is this info from? There are two buildings on that lot now. One has Green's and the other has.....what in it? 

Edited by Jayvee

woah woah!!  :shok:  :yahoo: where is this info from? There are two buildings on that lot now. One has Green's and the other has.....what in it? 

I don't think the project will go all the way to 4th, in which case Greens would be safe. The other buildings that front Mint would be gone though. Project is scheduled for their pre-submittal meeting, so it's still in the early planning stages. 

Another possible high rise is in the works at the preferred parking surface lot that is bordered by Poplar, 3rd & Mint St. Description for the project is 3 levels of underground parking, 26 levels above grade comprised of retail, commercial and residential. 

My friends that have a tailgate for every Panthers home games had to move when Romare Bearden park was built, now they may have to move again if this lot is gone. They will be pissed! lol. I like that it would have underground parking. Sounds like a good opportunity for some retail too. Look forward to hearing more about it. 

Because of the location of that parcel, I'm kind of worried that views of the Interstate Tower, Hearst, and even BofA Corpo will be obstructed by this new tower from the new ballpark. It will probably be every bit as tall as Avenue, Trademark, and Catalyst and will be sitting right over the fence in right-center field. I understand it from the developer's standpoint, but I'm not so big a fan of the big picture.

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/1470631/charlotte-knights-ballpark*600.jpg

FWIW I'd love that location to have a development like the St. Louis Cardinals are building (Ballpark Village) over the fence and across the street from Busch Stadium, but alas, we are a minor league team. 

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/images/ballpark/y2013/ballpark_village_phase1_600x400.jpg

Because of the location of that parcel, I'm kind of worried that views of the Interstate Tower, Hearst, and even BofA Corpo will be obstructed by this new tower from the new ballpark. It will probably be every bit as tall as Avenue, Trademark, and Catalyst and will be sitting right over the fence in right-center field. I understand it from the developer's standpoint, but I'm not so big a fan of the big picture.

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/1470631/charlotte-knights-ballpark*600.jpg

FWIW I'd love that location to have a development like the St. Louis Cardinals are building (Ballpark Village) over the fence and across the street from Busch Stadium, but alas, we are a minor league team. 

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/images/ballpark/y2013/ballpark_village_phase1_600x400.jpg

Honestly it probably won't block much. And thats progress! We want density, and people! I say bring it on. We can't hope to see BofA all the time. You can be 2 blocks from the Empire State Building and not even know it. I had a tourist ask me directions the other day and "I was like its 2 blocks that way."