3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

The park and baseball stadium sure did do wonders for this area.  I can't wait to see all these project completed.  

26 stories at 3rd and Mint is great and will seem more like a slender tower because of the smaller block.   It will fit nicely between Element, Catalyst, and Trademark.  With the midrise projects along Graham and highrise along Mint, it does provide a nice step up for the skyline.  

3rd Ward is doing amazingly even without this new project, but that one just serves to fill in the last full block that is blighted.   The rest are just partial blocks, like next to Packard Place, Trademark, and Graham & MLK.   

I hope the buildings that end up circling the ballbark will have some grit.  Please no solid glass structures or EIFS!

I would like to see a high-rise with more brick in it.  We have far too much beige (EIFS), grey (stone) and blue (glass).  Maybe something like this.

lg-8.jpg

• Like 1

I would like to see a high-rise with more brick in it.  We have far too much beige (EIFS), grey (stone) and blue (glass).  Maybe something like this.

lg-8.jpg

Woah, what/where is this? Could you imagine this being on Graham by the ballpark instead of Woodfield....amazing.

Edited by Jayvee

I like bulky. Bulky = density! :-D

Bulky=Bad

Bulky=Single Use

Bulky = Super Block

If I had 12 million dollars, I'd buy a large block downtown, build a parking deck in the middle 4th of it and split up the land around it and sell it as individual parcels for development. Different owners, different styles, different uses. I'd require at least one space of retail. The rest could be anything else. People wouldn't have to worry about parking, cuz I built the deck.

I don't mind bulky if the street level is done right.   There were the renderings for the tower planned for Durham that had several individualized sectional fronts that looked liked a bunch of different buildings - all with a tower rising from it.

That said - My main concern for this area of the city is brick and retail: slick and slender or fat and bulky be damned.

• Like 1

I thought of a great idea for the tiny space in the front of "The Mint." I thought of it as I visited the hole in the wall, take out only, chinese place in my neighborhood. Thats exactly what it should be! A take out only, hole in the wall. Maybe I'll open one up. I'm pretty damn good at making asian style tacos, I guess I got a year to put the concept together.

Edited by Guest

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/02/greystar-exploring-26-story-high-rise-next-to-bb-t.html

if it is true mixed use than this is pretty exciting, but the link to their similar project in VA isn't all that appealing from the outside IMO... But either way bring on the Ballpark neighborhood!

Edited by km1789
  • Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/02/greystar-exploring-26-story-high-rise-next-to-bb-t.html

if it is true mixed use than this is pretty exciting, but the link to their similar project in VA isn't all that appealing from the outside IMO... But either way bring on the Ballpark neighborhood!

I hope this happens sooner rather than later. 26 stories...thats about the size of the catalyst right?