3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Think L.

Haha, that's the first thing I thought, then I came to the same conclusion, tight fit, need relationship with existing parking deck. Honestly. I would rather it go where u are suggesting, and have the other parcel divided into several mid rise projects.

So, I ran past Gateway West on Saturday. It it still not done. Work to be done finishing the exterior on the back side (facing S Irvin Ave).  Looks like one of the retail spaces is currently being used by the construction company.

Also, are they keeping that old white house on the corner there?  It is now completely overshadowed by the project. Seems so out of place.

This updated rendering from the Observer reflects what is on site as well for The Mint. 

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2014/03/14/13/27/FpS4N.St.138.jpeg

A little better than the original renderings in my opinion, but really it just looks like they made the color palette slightly more contrasting.  I do like how well this will fill out that whole end of the block.

Every time I see the back of the current Fed Courthouse I keep hoping that when Queens finally buys it, they do a really cool modern glassy addition on the back (where the loading docks are now) and turn it into more space that offers a cool contrast to the historic building and improves the aesthetics from 4th.

This updated rendering from the Observer reflects what is on site as well for The Mint. 

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2014/03/14/13/27/FpS4N.St.138.jpeg

A little better than the original renderings in my opinion, but really it just looks like they made the color palette slightly more contrasting.  I do like how well this will fill out that whole end of the block.

Every time I see the back of the current Fed Courthouse I keep hoping that when Queens finally buys it, they do a really cool modern glassy addition on the back (where the loading docks are now) and turn it into more space that offers a cool contrast to the historic building and improves the aesthetics from 4th.

I didn't even know Queens was considering buying it. That'll be cool though. Would they take down the fence and open the area up?

It's a long convoluted scenario, but the City of Charlotte bought it from the Federal Govt probably 8-9 years ago and leases it back to the government.  The Federal Government is supposed to build a new courthouse across Caldwell St from the Bobcats arena.  Once that new courthouse is built, the City has a long standing contract with Queens to sell it to them for an uptown campus.  Originally they planned to establish a law school, but the language around that loose enough to allow other secondary degrees (MBA, etc).  This is long long past due, mostly because of Federal Government substantially slowing down its courthouse building program (I think they should be updated their FY15 plan any day now, and Charlotte is 1st or 2nd in line).

I believe Queens extended its purchase options with the City on this for several more years.

It will be great to have grad students in that old building rather than ultra-secure federal inmates.   Queen's does seem to be a university that is careful with historic/vintage architecture, so here's hoping that whenever the time comes, they enhance the site.

I didn't realize we were that far up in the queue for the federal courthouse.   That would be really awesome if we got approval for it, as they have had much better architecture lately for them.

Here is the master plan showing us as #2 for next year's money:

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/mediaId/167651/fileName/Courthouse_Project_Plan_FY14_18.action

This document from last spring shows why Charlotte rates high on the list for a new one:

http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/653746.pdf

Ten of the 12 projects on the 5-year plan do not qualify under the AMP 

criterion for a new courthouse. The judiciary’s previous capital-planning 
process for new courthouse projects had no minimum additional 
courtroom requirement, but the AMP process stipulates that a new 
courthouse is justified when an existing courthouse has a deficit of two or 
more courtrooms based on the number of judges located there after 
applying courtroom-sharing policies. The judiciary bases its estimates for 
the number of courtrooms that it needs on the number of existing judges 
and the projected number of new judges it will have in 15 years.

We found that 5 of the projects on the list currently need additional 
courtrooms, and of those, only the Charlotte and Greenville projects
would qualify under the AMP criterion because both need three additional 
courtrooms (see table 2). We did not assess if the shortage of courtrooms 
alone is the most appropriate criterion for requesting new construction 
from GSA, but the establishment of a clear criterion adds an element of 
transparency that was lacking in the judiciary’s previous capital-planning 
process. 

It will be great to have grad students in that old building rather than ultra-secure federal inmates.   Queen's does seem to be a university that is careful with historic/vintage architecture, so here's hoping that whenever the time comes, they enhance the site.

I didn't realize we were that far up in the queue for the federal courthouse.   That would be really awesome if we got approval for it, as they have had much better architecture lately for them.

Here is the master plan showing us as #2 for next year's money:

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/mediaId/167651/fileName/Courthouse_Project_Plan_FY14_18.action

This document from last spring shows why Charlotte rates high on the list for a new one:

http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/653746.pdf

That is pretty great, ours is the most expensive project haha. Now we just need something down with the Polk building and this area will be like a new world.

They're wasting no time, or seems that way, wow.

I would imagine there is a perceived "rush" among the developers that have any sense.  We all can see the writing on the wall regarding apartments, so I'm sure they do too.  The critical mass of available rental units is hitting it's high water mark as we speak.  Those that get in any later may be faced with the same issues that occurred during the last condo bubble.

I want to know also.( how significant is core drilling?

Did some digging, and I am finding this project more and more interesting.

They seem to have a lot of pieces lined up for this project. 

They have a very reputable DC architect. R2L Architects. I would send you to their website but its absolutely useless. 

They have an experience developer, although mainly with only Stick built urban infill (The Drakeford Company) (cough cough Flaherty and Collins). 

I'll be interested to see if this project has any legs. 

Here is a couple of R2L's better designs.

450K_c-shape_rendering.jpg

15thdbuilding1.jpg

d2a_west_800.png

82_i_street.jpg

I'd be happy with any of these styles.

http://elementuptown.com/

here is the website, which doesn't really have anything except a link to their facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ElementUptown) which has some pretty good pictures. Looks like they had a cute girl pimping it out today, and its amazing how much more complete the "backside" is as opposed to the side facing MLK