3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

I could be wrong, but it looks like Woodfield at Graham is approved and they are filing building permits to start construction soon. Crazy. However, it still looks like Graham Street will remain a pretty desolate place. No Retail. Just a small "flex space," 3 units with graham street entrances (accessed by a flight worth of stairs) and the leasing office. I guess anything is an improvement over a parking lot...

post-17104-0-64577900-1397529889_thumb.j

Edited by Guest

Element began leasing today. Starts at $1400 a month for a studio, $1700 for a 1 BR and $2600 for 2 BR....that is outrageous, I get it....but wow

Expect those prices to come down...WAY DOWN.  Throwing out a PSF rental basis for what things rent in Charlotte, these prices are VERY high for the incomes of people in the Charlotte area.  There simply are not enough people that can afford to rent a home and pay for a car at these prices in the Uptown area.

I'm going to put my wager that in two months you will sent rent sign spinners holding up "One month free" or "Free TV" with any new contact.

Expect those prices to come down...WAY DOWN.  Throwing out a PSF rental basis for what things rent in Charlotte, these prices are VERY high for the incomes of people in the Charlotte area.  There simply are not enough people that can afford to rent a home and pay for a car at these prices in the Uptown area.

I'm going to put my wager that in two months you will sent rent sign spinners holding up "One month free" or "Free TV" with any new contact.

I wouldn't say way down. It wasn't very long ago that Ashton was charging that much, and is probably only charging less now because of the new buildings becoming available. 

The big parking deck behind Element. That I swear was supposed to have a lot of retail & rumored grocery store (rumors from 2010)

:D I think at this point a grocery store has been rumored everywhere in uptown the last 3 being Levine Land, Skyhouse & Tryon Place

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

The big parking deck behind Element. That I swear was supposed to have a lot of retail & rumored grocery store (rumors from 2010)

:D I think at this point a grocery store has been rumored everywhere in uptown the last 3 being Levine Land, Skyhouse & Tryon Place

Part of the Gateway Station Plan included a 65k sq foot grocery store.

I guess the first question is how many vacant 2brs are there at Catalyst?

I do think having attached parking is worth something, but probably not $700. What is the rent/sf difference?

I just got my answer.  We're relocating a guy down from NY, and he is looking at Catalyst.  There is only ONE 1-br available in Catalyst for the next 2 months, and they are asking $1,700/month, so right in line with what Element is asking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you have a car in uptown, other than as a luxury? A lot of the point in living uptown is that you aren't shackled to a car.

Why would you have a car in uptown, other than as a luxury? A lot of the point in living uptown is that you aren't shackled to a car.

The majority of jobs in Charlotte are not in Uptown.  Major employment areas in Ballantyne, South Park, Airport, University Area, and North Lake mean if you're only looking to rent to those who live in Uptown, you have a very small employment base.  Many folks who live in Uptown do so for the reverse commute, which can be appealing to pay more money on rent, actually.

• Like 1

I lived uptown with a car, and it was great to not use it too much, but I did need it. I needed to visit friends at the lake, in Boone, in Atlanta. I needed to drive home to see my parents occasionally. I needed to go grocery or supply shopping somewhere other than HT. I went camping or mountain biking or went rafting at WWC. While some people can definitely pull it off, it's hard to enjoy a large portion of what the Charlotte area has to offer without a car or someone willing to drive you places.

• Like 1

I currently live uptown with a car. While I don't necessarily use it too often, it is absolutely not a luxury. Along with nonillogical, I do drive to the beach, Target, IMAX, the mall, grocery stores, etc... I could go without having a car, but it would be a MAJOR pain in the ____

Edited by Jayvee

....if you're only looking to rent to those who live in Uptown, you have a very small employment base. ....

I dunno, employment uptown plus employment opps within walking distance of the Blue line total nearly 120,000 jobs. When the BLE opens up that number will increase (I am guessing) to around 140,000.

While this is certainly not a majority of all jobs in Mecklenburg, it might be the majority of professional jobs in the county. Regardless your yardstick,  I don't think I would call it a 'very small' number.

Edited by kermit

I have been without a car for over 10 years.  There is an incredible freedom with not owning a car.  I rent when i need, though that is quite infrequent.  Yes, it can be difficult sometime to not have access to a car, but those times are few and far between.  When I decided to do this, I calculated all my auto costs for a year and divided it to a daily number.  It was remarkably close to $39 per day, every day.  When I let it go, I found that renting a car whenever I needed one, and renting what I wanted, convertible, road boat, van, my actual expenses averaged slightly under $10 per day.  These were my numbers, and yours may vary, but do the math.  Is it worth nearly $30 a day for the right to have almost instant access to a car, or can your vehicular needs be better grouped?

Just saying!

Weaning away from a car is not as hard as quitting smoking, but there are a lot of similarities.  

I went 7y without a car living uptown, but most of that time was simply downgrading to a single car in a relationship.   The years outside of relationship were also relying on standard requests for rides from friends.  Not usually a big deal, but does get old. 

As more of the nightlife and dining opportunities have shifted to the neighborhoods like Midwood and South End, it became a bit more inconvenient, but it was helpful for spurring good life choices and biking and walking and transiting a lot of the time. 

Last year I inherited a car, and at first took every opportunity to drive because of the sudden convenience after years of disciplining myself into the inconvenience.  It took a good 6 months to learn to go back and still do my best to bike and walk as much as possible.

It is definitely doable to forgo a car, especially now with Uber and Lyft making it much more enjoyable to get rides to reasonable distances.   B-cycle also makes it convenient between uptown and SouthEnd, as you can take a quick ride but then not deal with having your own bike somewhere.   But it is definitely a core impact to lifestyle, so no random trips to the lake or white water center, and you have to be willing to rent a car whenever necessary for longer trips. 

Wow, I'm impressed. I'm carless in DC, but I honestly can't imagine going carless in Charlotte. I lived in 4th Ward and my office was in 3rd Ward, but I had enough small trips that would have made it impossible to rely on light rail and buses. Apart from the challenge of traveling around the city, regional travel would be somewhat limiting without the kind of mass transit you find in the Northeast. That said, the key missing item as we've discussed ad nauseam is shopping. Perhaps an influx of retail in the new developments in 2nd and 3rd Wards along with a better sense of connectivity between Tryon and Metropolitan would make a car less of a necessity. 

I wish Express buses had like a 10pm outbound and weekend service. Especially intra Meck... I'll be moving to Huntersville and I'm annoyed at limited service.

Im glad the Huntersville Village Rider has weekend service. But I don't want to end my nights at 7pm

Edit : sorry for OT

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 2 weeks later...