3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Wasn't sure where to put this article, but this thread seems as good as any.....

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/07/charlottes-apartment-vacancy-rate-increases-to-4-7.html

It is interesting to note the vacancy rate is unchanged from a year earlier (but rent has increased)....granted not quite as many units have come online than those that will over the course of the next year and a half....but personally I think this leads to the fact we are filling what we are building (for now). I expect this vacancy rate to skyrocket next year though. Also seems to show that we (and Austin, shocker) are building a LOT to meet demand.

Also interesting: "Charlotte’s 0.4% vacancy increase tied with Austin, Texas, for the largest among the 79 primary markets that Reis tracks."

Edited by Jayvee

I talked with a property owner who has a parcel on the block between 3rd, 4th, Poplar, and Mint.  He has told me that he has knowledge that the rest of that block is under contract.  Can anyone dig into this to see if it is true.

I talked with a property owner who has a parcel on the block between 3rd, 4th, Poplar, and Mint.  He has told me that he has knowledge that the rest of that block is under contract.  Can anyone dig into this to see if it is true.

Its true. I don't think anything is happening to greens lunch and the other historic buildings however. 

Now I know you're fibbing. They don't save historic buildings here! 

All I know is Greens Lunch applied for a expansion (they can afford that???) around the same time the company who plans on building on the property applied for building 27 floor building.

Hey All.  I wanted to share a quick timelapse update I made today of progress at The Mint site.  Many of you may know the crane has been removed and they are preparing to start the 2x4 framing.  I cant wait for this thing to be done, as it will block my view of 2 of those ugly parking lots behind it!

http://youtu.be/YKOmUh1avrI

• Like 2

This is just speculation, but I think the Greystar 26-story tower may be real. I was on the NC Brownfields website and there's a project under the category "Projects Pending Eligibility" that is titled 3rd & Poplar. They wouldn't submit for the brownfields program if they weren't planning to move forward with the deal, so unless this is something else, I think they are still moving forward. 

Looks like the Greystar tower officially submitted for its Land Use permits today (first stage before building permits). Pretty pumped about this project to be honest.  All that said, I'm still confused on the actual site (3rd between Poplar and Mint, or 3rd L-shaping around 222 S Church).

Edit:  It seems like it is the 2nd corner there (between Church and Poplar), per the description on NC Brownfields site and per a poster on here, which is different than where Meck Land Use earlier indicated.

Interesting that leaves that "easier" to develop block between Poplar and Mint (behind Green's).  CoStar indicates that land recently had some title issues cleared, and easements with Green's resolved I think, so perhaps there are 2 projects moving forward???

• Like 1

Looks like the Greystar tower officially submitted for its Land Use permits today (first stage before building permits). Pretty pumped about this project to be honest.  All that said, I'm still confused on the actual site (3rd between Poplar and Mint, or 3rd L-shaping around 222 S Church).

Edit:  It seems like it is the 2nd corner there (between Church and Poplar), per the description on NC Brownfields site and per a poster on here, which is different than where Meck Land Use earlier indicated.

Interesting that leaves that "easier" to develop block between Poplar and Mint (behind Green's).  CoStar indicates that land recently had some title issues cleared, and easements with Green's resolved I think, so perhaps there are 2 projects moving forward???

here is a similarly sized project greystar is developing in tysons corner. Might give us some insight into the kind of thing they would put in this location.

1660213_1507970459429290_75478412_n.jpg

People might wish for their supertalls and their skyscrapers, but I say KEEP GOING with the 15-30 floor buildings. Adds depth and variety to our skyline! We are slowly breaking out of our two block by 5 block skyline.

Edited by Guest

Element at only 20 stories or so has had a huge impact on the skyline I think and from a ground level has made uptown feel a lot bigger.

Another 26 story between Catalyst/Element & Vue/Trademark/Carillon would make uptown feel even much bigger in my opinion

• Like 2

Element at only 20 stories or so has had a huge impact on the skyline I think and from a ground level has made uptown feel a lot bigger.

Another 26 story between Catalyst/Element & Vue/Trademark/Carillon would make uptown feel even much bigger in my opinion

Couldn't agree more.

Honestly, which spot would people prefer?

A.The L shape Lot hugging the packard building.

B. The lot that greens lunch is on?

I feel like I'd rather the park be completely surrounded with development sooner than later. So I pick A.

I would personally prefer a Latta Arcade type development on the Greens Lunch Block with only 6-10 floors of residential on top.

L shaped lot seems like it could have a pretty sweet street level presence with the Park. It seems Like a natural fit for restaurants, retail or soft goods

Will be very interesting to see how they do it. Access to the packard place parking and the parking deck behind it, comes from that parking lot, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if they will provide some parking for Packard Place...

Couldn't agree more.

Honestly, which spot would people prefer?

A.The L shape Lot hugging the packard building.

B. The lot that greens lunch is on?

I feel like I'd rather the park be completely surrounded with development sooner than later. So I pick A.

I would personally prefer a Latta Arcade type development on the Greens Lunch Block with only 6-10 floors of residential on top.

I'd rather see the L shape lot get it too.

I'm still confused a bit about which parcel we are talking about, so I highlighted a few of them between Poplar and Church on 3rd.

A. 224 W 3rd St owned by RBC Corp

B. 228 S Church St owned by Preferred Parking

C. 222 S Church St owned by Red City Properties (Packard Place)

3rd_Poplar_Church_zpsee4e9eb9.jpg

Edited by JoshuaDrown

For clarification on the shape, C is actually two parcels that both are owned by RBC.  From the conversation I believe the "L shaped" parcel being referred to is C & B, leaving out Packard Place. Right? 

Edited by MilZ