3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Will there be two buildings on this site? Or just one? Nice shot BTW!

27 Story Condo

39 Story Twelve/Condo

14 Story Office Building

10 Story Parking Deck.

So I do believe that 4 buildings, all with streetlevel retail.

Edited by Guest

Yes Then there is a 29 story building on the other side of the park So yea, Novare is building 4 towers and a parking deck, so 5 buildings total.

Edited by Guest

geez i can remember when it was somewhat exciting to see the Residence Inn going up. This is going to be an amazing transformation! The small buildings across from Overture are cute in person...hate to see them go. More 1920's architecture headed to the landfill.

We really need Novare's tower to move one block south and be any height :). Everytime I look at this thread I shake my head that it all couldn't have gone where the fortress is.

I wonder whether Novare would try to bump this tower up to 30 stories. I'm sure they are being cautious a bit with all the others going in nearby, they just wanted to be a player with a modest building. But with all this talk of demand, they just might be able to. However, a 20 story tower would not really be a waste. I think we do need that size tower peppered in the mix to get some sunlight in there. We're having a lot of 30+ towers going in within a few blocks. I'm starting to worry a bit about sun on the park.

Works here just fine...

On another note, I'm not sure why height = good to everyone on this forum. Density isn't just vertical, and I'd rather see a lot of smaller buildings than a few taller ones.

70_CentralPark_NewYork_freedesktopwallpaper_l.jpg

We really need Novare's tower to move one block south and be any height :). Everytime I look at this thread I shake my head that it all couldn't have gone where the fortress is.

I wonder whether Novare would try to bump this tower up to 30 stories. I'm sure they are being cautious a bit with all the others going in nearby, they just wanted to be a player with a modest building. But with all this talk of demand, they just might be able to. However, a 20 story tower would not really be a waste. I think we do need that size tower peppered in the mix to get some sunlight in there. We're having a lot of 30+ towers going in within a few blocks. I'm starting to worry a bit about sun on the park.

I'm not sure why height = good to everyone on this forum. Density isn't just vertical, and I'd rather see a lot of smaller buildings than a few taller ones.

Agreed, and hopefully Charlotte can work on this with projects extending into Southend and surrounding areas. I guess the biggest concern is that we have limited space inside of the loop and most of us want to see it developed to its fullest capacity rather than look back 20 years from now and wish that we could have a grander skyline. Washington DC is a great city for example, but it hasn't a skyline, once inside you really are no doubt in a city though. I think we all want both the density and the skyline and that won't happen overnight.

Agreed, and hopefully Charlotte can work on this with projects extending into Southend and surrounding areas. I guess the biggest concern is that we have limited space inside of the loop and most of us want to see it developed to its fullest capacity rather than look back 20 years from now and wish that we could have a grander skyline. Washington DC is a great city for example, but it hasn't a skyline, once inside you really are no doubt in a city though. I think we all want both the density and the skyline and that won't happen overnight.

That's not the typical reaction around here. Wrong thread for this, but it seems that everyone here is looking for a skyline to show off, rather than a true urban environment. That type of mentality is what makes our city lack grit and identity. Limited space inside the loop? I don't know, to me there's PLENTY of parking lots and other empty space all over 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wards..

That's not the typical reaction around here. Wrong thread for this, but it seems that everyone here is looking for a skyline to show off, rather than a true urban environment. That type of mentality is what makes our city lack grit and identity. Limited space inside the loop? I don't know, to me there's PLENTY of parking lots and other empty space all over 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wards..

Plenty of parking lots yes, but they seem to be developed very quickly as of late. Had all of Charlotte's existing downtown been built with low-rise structures we may have ran out of parking lots to develop and could possibly be looking back in history wishing that we would have developed our core with taller structures. I have no doubt that in my lifetime our core will be built out and extended past the 277 barrier, but I personally would like to see our core remain our high rise district and areas outside of 277 become the low rise district.

Having a high density core with more than just low-rise development gives an image back to the city IMO and it is something that I'm proud that we have.

From what I hear, the office building is first out of the ground, not the condo. Duke is rumored to REALLY need space and will be the anchor tenant.

I dunno, they might be doing both at once. I've seen blueprints for the condo tower facing Church, they have various parts out to bid with local companies and I've put myself on the waiting list for when they start taking reservations. I can't recall exactly what the email said, but do remember thinking that reservations weren't very far off. At the rate they seem to work, I don't think it is out of the question that they built 2 or more buildings at once -- the site work is full site.