Billy Graham Memorial....A Talking Cow?

tombarnes

Even Billy Graham's Family Is Divided

Franklin Graham intends to bury his parents at a library/memorial complex which has been planned with the consultation of Disney. Observers have described the proposed campus (actually nearly finished) as "tacky." I had not been aware of the controversy over burial sites, but would hope that the talking cow does not see the light of day. I hope this can be resolved with a more appropriate outcome.

The Washington Post

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know....a talking cow has it's plusses :lol: In Charleston, there is a Coburg Dairy revolving Cow along Savannah Highway in West Ashley leading into downtown. It's so beloved that the city gave it historic protection status so it cannot be torn down. We need more fun objects in this town. Still, how this could be part of a respectful memorial to a beloved religious figure does not make sense to me.

Does the talking cow recite Bible verses, or does she remind the visitor that a combo of dairy and meat are not kosher?

Seriously, I still have to shield my eyes from the ugly-ass barn they are building out back of the crusade HQ. The tackiness factor of the huge transparent cross on the barn (supposedly a replica of the one that was on the family dairy farm) will be the high point of any drive to or from Charlotte/Douglass International.

I am not a supporter of Billy Graham either. Being Jewish and Gay, I don't exactly fit into his "flock". However, when the tapes surfaced he did sincerely apologize. Graham has had excellent relations with Jewish leaders for years and clearly evolved from his earlier mindset. On Gay issues he dissaproves of homosexuality but unlike most other Christian leaders he has not engaged in hateful attacks or supported anti-gay legislation. Instead, choosing to "agree to disagree" and be respectful of differing opinions. So I have always respected him and think burying him at this tourist trap would be disrespectful. His wife and most family members are opposed to it and favor a family burial plot at The Cove near Asheville.

I think Billy Graham tried hard, especially in his later years, to be more unifying, while still staying true to his faith. But he avoided the corrupting traps of most evangelists, paying himself a salary, staying true to his wife, and trying to focus on more positive positions in politics.

It is a huge shame that they made the memorial so tacky. It could have been a chance for regular people to go and find out about the man that was quite an icon of modern religious history. Instead, it sounds like not only is it an embarassment to the city, but an embarassment to the Graham family.

I assume the talking cow is supposed to appeal the kids, but the barn with the cross window is pretty bad.

Maybe they could bury him at Elmwood. Does anyone know if Graham Street is named after one of his ancestors? I think his family were fair early settlers in the area, like the Polks.

• 3 months later...
Does the talking cow recite Bible verses, or does she remind the visitor that a combo of dairy and meat are not kosher?

Seriously, I still have to shield my eyes from the ugly-ass barn they are building out back of the crusade HQ. The tackiness factor of the huge transparent cross on the barn (supposedly a replica of the one that was on the family dairy farm) will be the high point of any drive to or from Charlotte/Douglass International.

Perhaps a flip sided cow could be used for the Graham memorial.....one side could spout out ugly racist recordings, and the other side could spout out intimidating religious warnings of hellfire and damnation.

During his life, Billy Graham was widely considered "different" from other prominent evangalists. During the great fall of the TV evangelists in the 1980s, Graham survived unscathed. He was never caught with his pants down in financial improprieties or moral transgressions.

But I still see no difference in Billy Graham and Jimmy Swaggart, and Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. They all use(d) intimidation and fears of hell to achieve their modern mind control. A memorial to a man who most likely brought misery to a lot of lives?

Archived