Grand Rapids Wish List 2007

GRDadof3

With the announcements of billions in development projects, multiple tower cranes in the sky, start of construction on the city's new tallest building, and neighborhood level rebuilding projects too numerous to count, cheers to a very exciting year for Grand Rapids in 2006! :yahoo: I've never seen so much excitement and interest in this city!

With that said, what would you like to see accomplished either downtown or in the region for 2007? Are there ways that you're going to get involved in the community, or projects you're looking at, to help bring these things to fruition?

One wish I have is that development plans are finally settled on for Area 4/5 (maybe even a Meijer). I'll think of some others.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides more skyscrapers, I want to see a real increase of retail downtown. We have the restaurants, now we need the shopping. There needs to be at least a strip of retail as dense as a mall. That means a couple blocks of all storefronts. I'd like to see a good mix of national chains and local specialty shops.

Besides more skyscrapers, I want to see a real increase of retail downtown. We have the restaurants, now we need the shopping. There needs to be at least a strip of retail as dense as a mall. That means a couple blocks of all storefronts. I'd like to see a good mix of national chains and local specialty shops.

I would love to have the city look at a downtown shopping district to slowly get started. Everyone I know in West Michigan loves shopping in Chicago's Magnificent Mile shopping district. It would be nice to have people park and walk to shops and restaurants and entertainment downtown.

Maybe more my wish "By 2010....)

Provide World-Class education and learning opportunities for people of all incomes: early childhood development through adult education...

The recent reports on our GRPS high-schools (77% student population economically disadvantaged), the increase of children living in poverty and the increase in Domestic Violence and Child Abuse and Neglect in our community is pretty astounding. I think these are significant barriers for us being the city we want to be 2007 and beyond.

I would like to see:

- Continued interest in housing downtown

- More retail

- Additional smaller-scale projects, like the Civic Theater was in 2006.

- A new 600 footer would be OK, too :D

Didn't we do this last year? We should revive that thread if its still around.

Tall House

Division & Fulton

Area 4/5

More rental options downtown that are both affordable and allow full-time college students.

Retail infill along N and S Division

Something done with the old art deco building along Monroe Center and the Fox's building.

Additional Mass Transit options

Bus System extended until later hours to serve the nightlife crowds.

Mall type retailers locating in downtown

Construction of a building at the corner of Division and Fulton that is consistent with the historic nature of downtown, yet incorporate modern style and technology.

Developers who care (and can renovate buildings) acquire all the buildings on the west side of division from wealthy.

The City of Grand Rapids have the ability to enforce its property maintenance codes.

The City of Grand Rapids successfully implement its Form-based Codes regulatory ordinance.

My wish list in no perticular order:

1) A new PAC

2) More retail in DT

3) Announcment of a BRT or LRT system

4) Alticore annoucing plans the build a building taller than River House. 500' would satisfy me.

5) Somthing to happen to 50 Monroe

6) Get started on the Riverfront project thus ending that soap opra.

7) Large company to move corporate HQ to Grand Rapids. DT would be prefered location.

8) Put some real effort to fix GRPS

9) Michigan Economy to get back on track.

10) A big development to replace the surface lot at Fulton and Market. A signature tower would look nice on that spot esp. if the river front ever gets off the ground. I'd even settle for the new PAC (1) to go there as long as the architecture was mindblowingly cool looking.

11) Redevelopment of City Hall and the County Building to undo the damage done back in the 60's

12) More street life to Bridge Street/ Westside

13) Expand on urban beautification through out the innercity.

14) Farmer's Market

For the surronding area

1) Walker to implement plan to convert Standale into DT format.

2) Influx of a wide veriety of good paying jobs that won't be outsourced

3) IKEA

4) Cities to pass and enforce ordinances to prevent major retail developments from kicking bus stops from their properties like what Rivertown Crossings Mall did.

5) Widening of Wilson Ave from Rememberance to 28th St. to atleast 4 lanes.

6) Redesign of Alpine Ave. to better handle the traffic and make it safer.

7) Urban Beautification for entire stretch of 28th street.

That's it unless I think of some more.

1) Fix the schools. Without them the city's neighborhoods will eventually feel the pain even worse than some of them do now. If you fix the schools, you revitalize a stagnant real estate market in the city's residential neighborhoods and that would help support my #2.

2) Legitimate retail shopping district downtown. The national rage is lifestyle centers. They're nothing more than fake downtowns plopped in corn fields. Let's fix our real downtown. Screw "Keep it a secret". I propose we use the following marketing slogan for downtown: "Downtown Grand Rapids: It's a high density mixed use development combining luxury condos, student apartments, retail, restaurants, offices and live-work space....and has been for 150 years."

3) Become the only major city in Michigan to gain population in the next census. I'd love to see them all gain of course, but GR has a real shot at it and the others don't.

Maybe more my wish "By 2010....)

Provide World-Class education and learning opportunities for people of all incomes: early childhood development through adult education...

The recent reports on our GRPS high-schools (77% student population economically disadvantaged), the increase of children living in poverty and the increase in Domestic Violence and Child Abuse and Neglect in our community is pretty astounding. I think these are significant barriers for us being the city we want to be 2007 and beyond.

Archived