vintage buildings at Church Street and 9th Avenue

barakat

I heard recently that this strip of old-school buildings, very rare in Nashville, was purchased by the neighboring Southern Baptist Convention. Most recently some of the tenants were a law office and the Excess/Orbit afterhours club [which has vacated the space]. Anyone know what that fate of these buildings may be? If the SBC owns them, I fear they might not be around very long. :( I had hoped a forward-thinking developer type would purchase and renovate these buildings, adding to the revitalization of Church Street.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard recently that this strip of old-school buildings, very rare in Nashville, was purchased by the neighboring Southern Baptist Convention. Most recently some of the tenants were a law office and the Excess/Orbit afterhours club [which has vacated the space]. Anyone know what that fate of these buildings may be? If the SBC owns them, I fear they might not be around very long. :( I had hoped a forward-thinking developer type would purchase and renovate these buildings, adding to the revitalization of Church Street.

Well if it's the strip fronting Church with the parking on top (I thought they already owned that), then I hope they don't plan to raze them for a parking lot. I believe they date back to the 1930s.

Regarding the SBC, they have a fairly good record of keeping older buildings (as witnessed by their hodgepodge of a campus). However, they've been in high growth mode of late, and a parking lot wouldn't surprise me.

I don't necessarily make the same connection between traditional values and needing additional parking. However I would be disappointed to see these go down.

Since we're sort of on the topic, I must say that I've really been sadly disappointed by the Southern Baptist church structures around Atlanta. While other denominations are also known to mar the landscape with mall type "sanctuaries"... I can usually guess 9 times out of 10 when it's an SB church. I really, really think it's ridiculous that they don't put their parking in the back of their churches especially since most of the newer ones are behemoth structures in the first place. This really applies to all churches.

Anyone ever thought that Nashville is very similar to Salt Lake City? Seems like we're always having some church stuff something down our collective throats.

I'm not against the SBC but I certainly think there is bound to be an office park somewhere in Williamson County that I'd rather see them in!

If we clean up and homoginize downtown to the perfect right-wing, perfectly "moral" stereotype it would be SO boring.

Anyone ever thought that Nashville is very similar to Salt Lake City? Seems like we're always having some church stuff something down our collective throats.

I'm not against the SBC but I certainly think there is bound to be an office park somewhere in Williamson County that I'd rather see them in!

If we clean up and homoginize downtown to the perfect right-wing, perfectly "moral" stereotype it would be SO boring.

Is DT Salt Lake City boring? I've never been.

I take exception to Memphian's point about having church stuff down throats... at least in this case. I mean, how is what SBC is doing in this case any different from any other secular business doing the same thing? If they need more parking then they've found one way to get it. I don't agree with the purported plan to increase parking. I think large swaths of pavement anywhere (especially in downtowns) are eyesores (among other bad things).

Lest anyone think I'm Baptist, I'm not.

Can anyone get a picture of these buildings?

Archived