How would you make the Nascar Tower more interesting?

dubone

How would you make the Nascar Tower more interesting?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. (See first post for images)

• A - Checkered Glass (Actual glass being that color):
    • B - Random Color (Actual glass being that color):
    • C - Striped Color (Actual glass being that color):
    • D - Checkered Top (Actual blocks being that color):
    • E - Boriginal (sic):
    • F - Projecting A, B, C, or D on E with lighting.
    • G - Redesign the whole tower, it is that bad.

You guys that are very well versed in architectural styles have pulled up plenty of pictures of the style that Szeto seems to be going with. Do you have good examples of what you believe they should go with?

While I have somewhat resigned myself to the notion that the LEED towers must be all glass, I don't see why this one should be if it isn't attempting to be green in any way. It is also not so tall that different materials and a more complex design would be that expensive.

I agree with those that think that the plain tower detracts from the museum's more interesting design. My attempts at sprucing it up were a little clownish, but were trying to just say 'do something'. But now, I am intrigued.

What style should they turn to? What Szeto or PCF buildings would be representative of the type of building you'd like to see?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now this is the kind of discussion that makes me love UP so much! A discussion with some real teeth....

I think the reason I dislike NASCAR Tower so much is that it looks like it was designed in 15 minutes by a recent architectural school graduate. There is absolutely nothing distinctive about it. Nothing about it makes it worthy to sit beside what will certainly become one of Charlotte's biggest attractions.

In 1971 First Union built it's sleeper shoe box AKA it's corp headquarters. In 1974 NCNB built it's glass behemouth at the Square. In the middle 80s 1 Independence Center and First Citizens Tower were built to clutter Uptown with even more architectural boredom.

Can we PLEASE put a moratorium on boxy skyscrapers? Uptown has enough of that stuff to last centuries. If we have to go retro, then let's get back to the early 1990s when post modernism was bringing Charlotte some true architectural gems.

I guess what I'm saying is that when there is an opportunity to build something Uptown, then dammit build something memorable!!!!

I just enjoyed surfing some skyscraper websites and found an architectural example encompassing some features I think would be nice on the NASCAR Tower.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=125921

This is the famous Hong Kong Shanghai Bank tower, and I think it's industrial look would be perfect for the NASCAR tower (of course scaled down quite a bit:)

I just enjoyed surfing some skyscraper websites and found an architectural example encompassing some features I think would be nice on the NASCAR Tower.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=125921

This is the famous Hong Kong Shanghai Bank tower, and I think it's industrial look would be perfect for the NASCAR tower (of course scaled down quite a bit:)

^^^Yes it does have a rather odd appearance at first glace, and like you said it looks like it's about to fall over. But that's what gives it such an organic feel. The remarkable irregularities of the structure create an amazing organic ambience which is so refreshing in this current era of backward looking high rise architecture.

Something of this stature and uniqueness is what's needed for the NASCAR Tower design. Something you don't see anywhere else.

• 8 months later...

I'm glad this topic is being revisited. In terms of why the tower is being built the way it is, the answer is cost. It is a cheap high-rise. There basically is no money to give it any "umph". But the main reason is that the HOF is the star of the show, not the tower. The tower is supposed to simply blend in to the background. Still, I like the idea of the checkered top or super vertical graphics with "NASCAR" written up the concrete towers on both ends of the building.

Archived