111 Seaboard Condos

ncsugrad204

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Color me misguided, but I think you guys are talking about 2 different projects. 1 is the one taking the place of the site where the dept of insurance is/was. The other is next to the new Ace hardware back there. Any other info available?

• 1 month later...

It is another JDavis building, so yes it probably looks like a lot of others out there. I was talking with someone who manages projects for another architecture firm about projects like this, and she said there aren't that many ways you can design a multi-family structure given certain constraints... site, cost, etc, so they will end up looking alike.

Of course we should always strive for better designs, but I don't think this is the type of project to hang your hat on. It's kind of a smaller, complimentary project that is going to be a key piece in connecting the dots from Blount St towards Glenwood South.

It is another JDavis building, so yes it probably looks like a lot of others out there. I was talking with someone who manages projects for another architecture firm about projects like this, and she said there aren't that many ways you can design a multi-family structure given certain constraints... site, cost, etc, so they will end up looking alike.

Of course we should always strive for better designs, but I don't think this is the type of project to hang your hat on. It's kind of a smaller, complimentary project that is going to be a key piece in connecting the dots from Blount St towards Glenwood South.

Looking at preliminary designs, you wouldn't be able to tell the Dawson at Morgan, Carlton Place, West at North, and 111 (or One Eleven, but not 1 Eleven.. ugh) apart except for their height. I think the same people are walking out front! lol

The finished products of Dawson @ Morgan and Carlton Place have similar facades, but have different street presences. Carlton Place has several entry points with stairwells whereas the Dawson's entry point is through the lobby/elevator. I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing that it is hard to distinguish a building with $500k+ units and a bar (Dawson) from two with reasonably priced units and a lot of street level retail (West at North, 111) from one with over half its units at less than fair market rents (Carlton Place).

I was talking with someone who manages projects for another architecture firm about projects like this, and she said there aren't that many ways you can design a multi-family structure given certain constraints... site, cost, etc, so they will end up looking alike.

^OK, forget that I mentioned that. I think she meant that there are rarely more than subtle differences in building form given budget, and site constraints. So if you want a 5-story bldg on a small lot, and have a limited budget, there are probably only certain *MAJOR* building elements that can be altered such that the project meets the target market.

Anyway, the most important thing to me about this particular project is that it will add to the Modecai/Blount St/Seabord area. Maybe one day there will be condos and retail all the way down Peace St to Glenwood South.

The Finch's to Comedy Worx block could be easily redevloped.

Finch's, the retail (Watson's Shoe repair, the dry cleaners, camera shop, pawn shop, etc.) and Comedy Worx could all be street level on Peace, Harrington and Johnson streets.

The car wash and oil change could be pushed back to Harrington, or replace one of those used car dealerships on Capitol -- how many of those do we need???

With 5-10 stories of apartments above the retail and a parking deck against the hard Capitol edge, the area could expand Glenwood South, provide a stronger link to the Seaboard/Blount area, and add a lot of housing a few blocks (though up a hill) to the proposed TTA state government station.

Would the Salisbury to Lane street walk for 111 residents put the TTA stop within reach for them?

The Finch's to Comedy Worx block could be easily redevloped.

Finch's, the retail (Watson's Shoe repair, the dry cleaners, camera shop, pawn shop, etc.) and Comedy Worx could all be street level on Peace, Harrington and Johnson streets.

The car wash and oil change could be pushed back to Harrington, or replace one of those used car dealerships on Capitol -- how many of those do we need???

With 5-10 stories of apartments above the retail and a parking deck against the hard Capitol edge, the area could expand Glenwood South, provide a stronger link to the Seaboard/Blount area, and add a lot of housing a few blocks (though up a hill) to the proposed TTA state government station.

Would the Salisbury to Lane street walk for 111 residents put the TTA stop within reach for them?

• 1 month later...

Walked around the Seaboard area today.

First of all, given the terrain, I'd say the rendering that's been released so far shows the Seaboard Street facade.

Did not realize this before, but the property on which 111 Seaboard will sit doesn't actually have any frontage on Peace Street. This little parcel, a 28-foot wide strip at the corner of Peace and Salisbury, is owned by the gas station (it's where they have their sign.)

With this little strip in the way, I suspect that 111 Seaboard won't open up to the sidewalk along Peace. Which would be a shame. A strip of land 28 feet deep off of Peace Street is too awkward for anything to ever get built there, so since it's probably not incorporated into 111 Seaboard, we'll probably end up with nothing but a gas station sign there for the forseeable future.

The only other possibility would be if the 111 Seaboard developers have the little strip with the gas station sign under contract, but that's not particularly likely.

With all the things going on around Seaboard and Blount Street soon to follow plus the stuff down by Glenwood, I think Peace St near Seaboard Condos is due for a facelift and functional improvements. Stoplight at the Capital offramp, grassy medians with crepe myrtles at certain places. Boom signals at Halifax St. Decent bus shelters. Decorative benches and trash cans. The private dollars have arrived....now lets compliment this with some long overdue public funds for this strip.

I often thought the retaining walls of the train and Capitol Blvd. bridges would be an *awsome* place for a mural. There always seems to be someone waiting for the bus on Peace near Halifax, so it could be due a bench. Maybe Peace College students would use it to shop at TTC if they could sit while waiting for the bus?

I don't know if trees could survive the CO2 overdose from state government employees going through that corridor twice a day... Anything to break up the asphalt jungle created by the gas station would be appreciated! If the gas station sign hasn't gone by now, it never will. If the parcel orulz pointed out does change hands, prices could be displayed on the canopy over the pumps, or move the sign closer to the cashier's building. The BP at the end of Peace gets by with its three-four foot high sign.

The web site says it is in "walking distance" of Cameron Village. It is true, but that is a hilly walk, and the Capitol on/off ramps are *not* pedestrian friendly. But that building is a good alternative to the higher priced units on/near Glenwood and F Street.

• 2 months later...

More N&O blurbs:

The City Council approved plans by York Properties to build 111 Seaboard, a four-story mix of 53 condos and 11,000 square feet of retail near Peace College. Construction, to begin this fall, will take about a year.

Another nice complimentary project--this time to the north end at Seabord. I'm thinking back to the Tucker St project moving to apartments, and thinking that there will be a number of good choices for those folks to choose from in terms of location and price range in the next 2 years.

• 1 month later...

We reserved one & are really happy with it. We were there early, so I don't know what happened after we left, but there were at least 5 folks there same time as we were to reserve one or two units each.

Personally, I was very happy to hear that they decided to go steel/concrete on all the floors as opposed to the 2nd floor only steel / conc and stick built the rest of the way. They're also paying attention to soundproofing and more modern choices for finishes and cabinetry.

We reserved one & are really happy with it. We were there early, so I don't know what happened after we left, but there were at least 5 folks there same time as we were to reserve one or two units each.

Personally, I was very happy to hear that they decided to go steel/concrete on all the floors as opposed to the 2nd floor only steel / conc and stick built the rest of the way. They're also paying attention to soundproofing and more modern choices for finishes and cabinetry.

• 2 months later...

Archived