Denham Springs & Livingston Parish

Rardy

Okay...I had to start a new topic for Livingston Parish.

This is Juban Crossing, at 1.3 million square feet it will be larger than the Mall of Louisiana. Nineteen restaurants have already signed letters of intent to open there (does anybody know of any other place where 19 restaurants opened at the same time??). It will have 500 acres, with 1,150 homes and almost 400,000 square feet of medical and office space. "All the major retailers in the Towne Center are planning stores in Juban Crossing" - Livingston Parish News

jubancrossingart121406.jpg

At the same time, BassPro is moving forward to develop 75 acres 2 miles west on I-12.

Says Mike Grimmer, Livingston Parish President, "We have two important tourist destinations under development now and we're working on a third. There's much more to come. We're gathering momentum as the fastest growing parish in Louisiana. Buckle up and hang on."

That's amazing. Just a few years ago, who'd have expected all this in Livingston Parish? It's just a sudden boom, but it's huge. This project, alone, is going to be amazing. Plus the project with Bass Pro.

Wellll...Livingston has been the fastest growing parish for the past 7 or 8 years. It's definitely been the underdog in Louisiana (I used to say I lived Livingston Parish and people would literally say, "Where?"), but it's still been there all along. It became the 10th most populous parish in the state in 2001-2002.

I remember telling friends as recently as 3 years ago that there'd be a mall on Juban at I-12 (I envisioned an enclosed one), and even my LP friends would look at me skeptically. I mean, given a solidly middle class population of 100,000 with the shopping venues of Wal-Mart and Home Depot (which was new 3 years ago), it was a shoe-in. Honestly, I'm surprised it took them this long to get one.

Wellll...Livingston has been the fastest growing parish for the past 7 or 8 years. It's definitely been the underdog in Louisiana (I used to say I lived Livingston Parish and people would literally say, "Where?"), but it's still been there all along. It became the 10th most populous parish in the state in 2001-2002.

I remember telling friends as recently as 3 years ago that there'd be a mall on Juban at I-12 (I envisioned an enclosed one), and even my LP friends would look at me skeptically. I mean, given a solidly middle class population of 100,000 with the shopping venues of Wal-Mart and Home Depot (which was new 3 years ago), it was a shoe-in. Honestly, I'm surprised it took them this long to get one.

I didn't realize the growth over there has been going on for that long. I figured within the last 5 years.

I've always wondered why Livingston Parish lacked much in the way of retail, restuarants and hotels. I wonder how much of the LP stigma actually played a part in the lack of devopement.

This develoment is impressive.

There is a very strong stigma. When I lived there I always got the sense that EBR'ers were embarassed by their "redneck" neighbor to the east. At least, the EBR'ers who weren't moving there en masse. But as Livingston's grown and become more prosperous, it's lost a lot of the redneck image.

The real reason for the lack of retail IMO is more related to the lack of land. Well, there's plenty of land, there's just not road access to the land. Range is solid from I-12 almost to the St. Helena line, and there's not a single parcel available in the Denham Springs city limits north of the interstate.

Besides Range, no other corridor is attractive or feasible for national retailers. If Denham would build a few frontage roads along the interstate, they'd recoup their investment in sales and property taxes in no time at all.

Rardy, what do you know about this 3rd devopement Mike Grimmer makes reference to?

Yeah! That stumped me too! I really have no idea - I was wondering if Mike Grimmer was hinting about something else?

The only thing I know of would possibly be an expansion at Tickfaw State Park...

Yeah! That stumped me too! I really have no idea - I was wondering if Mike Grimmer was hinting about something else?

The only thing I know of would possibly be an expansion at Tickfaw State Park...

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It would be nice if the parish would 4 lane Florida Blvd out past Walker. They also need to really get to working on a few nice north south 4 lane projects.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It would be nice if the parish would 4 lane Florida Blvd out past Walker. They also need to really get to working on a few nice north south 4 lane projects.

Widening Florida has been in the works for years, but it's expensive to take all that property through eminent domain. It would probably be easier to build all new in a different location. And a four-lane bypass beginning in Watson, going south between Range and Juban, and ending in Pt. Vincent would be great too - a pipedream though.

The parish really has no comprehensive plans to ever get ahead of the growth curve. In most areas of the country, a developer is required to widen the portion of the road their development abuts. As a corridor gets developed, the road gets widened at no cost to the city/county. Something like that would really take the pressure off Baton Rouge metro, but it will never happen as long as developers have their hand in city and parish councils...

Livingston is strangled in traffic, and as much as I love these new retail projects, they're not going to help at all.

At one time I remember hearing about a by-pass; Juban Road would be extended north across Florida Blvd.(Hwy.190) and connect with Lockhart Road near North Park. What's up with that?? That would help some with the rapid growth north of Denham Springs/Walker and Watson. Watson is not incorporated, but if it had imaginary boundries I would be curious as to what the population might be?? I can not believe the growth up there in white flight estates. Live Oak HS in Watson is a 5A school like Walker and Denham Springs.

I figured Juban would take off when they talked of finally doing the interchange; but nothing like Juban Crossing. Juban south of I-10 a couple of miles has a new large golfing community called Greystone CC and more subdivisions too.

Thanks for posting the site plan Rardy :thumbsup: ; I saw it in the paper today. Very impressive looking. More medical is badly needed with that retail. But I could not find the amphitheatre on the site plan.

I-12 will get extended exit lanes for Range Ave. to near 4-H Club Rd. for Bass Pro. That development is supposed to include Circuit City, Hampton Inn, and IHOP. BackYard Burgers just built there too.

And don't forget just west; back in the edge of EBR between O'Neal/Amite River will be a huge 800 acre development you will be seeing more of in the near future :shok: Movie Studio's and TND's, etc are planned. They showed some very brief renderings on the news last night and it looked VERY IMPRESSIVE TOO!!

Thanks for starting this thread. Incredible that 4 consectutive I-12 Exits are seeing the phenominal growth and development. All this suburban growth is nice; but Baton Rouge still has plenty going on too; Including many infil-projects. And suburbia south on the Bluebonnet extension/Nicholson is a 500+ acre master planned community!

Edited by richyb83

At one time I remember hearing about a by-pass; Juban Road would be extended north across Florida Blvd.(Hwy.190) and connect with Lockhart Road near North Park. What's up with that?? That would help some with the rapid growth north of Denham Springs/Walker and Watson. Watson is not incorporated, but if it had imaginary boundries I would be curious as to what the population might be?? I can not believe the growth up there in white flight estates. Live Oak HS in Watson is a 5A school like Walker and Denham Springs.

I figured Juban would take off when they talked of finally doing the interchange; but nothing like Juban Crossing. Juban south of I-10 a couple of miles has a new large golfing community called Greystone CC and more subdivisions too.

Thanks for posting the site plan Rardy :thumbsup: ; I saw it in the paper today. Very impressive looking. More medical is badly needed with that retail. But I could not find the amphitheatre on the site plan.

I-12 will get extended exit lanes for Range Ave. to near 4-H Club Rd. for Bass Pro. That development is supposed to include Circuit City, Hampton Inn, and IHOP. BackYard Burgers just built there too.

And don't forget just west; back in the edge of EBR between O'Neal/Amite River will be a huge 800 acre development you will be seeing more of in the near future :shok: Movie Studio's and TND's, etc are planned. They showed some very brief renderings on the news last night and it looked VERY IMPRESSIVE TOO!!

Thanks for starting this thread. Incredible that 4 consectutive I-12 Exits are seeing the phenominal growth and development. All this suburban growth is nice; but Baton Rouge still has plenty going on too; Including many infil-projects. And suburbia south on the Bluebonnet extension/Nicholson is a 500+ acre master planned community!

I saw the link to that siteplan of the O'Neal development, but there was no article, just a video that isn't compatible with FireFox. Wow...tell me more!

Isn't the amount of construction in Baton Rouge right now unbelievable???

Watson according to most Denhamites begins at Magnolia Bridge and goes west and north to the parish lines. The eastern boundary is a lot fuzzier. If it were incorporated and included all the residents in the immediate area, I'd guess it would be 20-25,000. If Denham were to expand their city limits and include all the residents in its immediate area, it would be 40-50,000. But Louisiana's annexation laws are archaic, so Denham is somewhat stuck.

But STILL...good ole Baton Rouge has to be setting some kind of development record...

And don't forget that Hammond is just as close to Juban Crossing as downtown Baton Rouge, and Hammond's in its own development boom right now too.

Hey Brian, we might have our own Fresco down here. :D

While this is an exciting project I hope the Mall of Cortana can keep up. It has already lost business to the Mall of Louisiana, so what will this do? A dead mall is a terrible thing. :(

I'm with you on the Cortana Thing. The Mall of LA has cut into the popularity, but the Towne Center at Cedar Lodge is what's killing Cortana. The mall ownership really needs to look into doing something creative to bring the crowds back to Cortana. Doing something like what's going to happen in Hammond may be worth considering.

My parents moved to Livingston Parish after their home flooded with Katrina. It's very interesting that there are now several thousand that live in Livingston Parish, are counted as "Metro Baton Rouge," but, commute and live their lives out of New Orleans. My parents have little to nothing to do with Baton Rouge. Their lives revolve around New Orleans, yet, they are counted as Metro Baton Rouge. The Metro areas are, obviously converging along I-12, not I-10.

:lol: Yeah I do. Livingston Parish isn't growing quite as fast as Frisco, but it does seem to have sped up a lot over the years. If these latest developments are any indication, it looks like it could speed up even further.

That's really impressive growth for Louisiana.

...and just think...60,000 people all having a single exit off the interstate, and only 2 bridges connecting them with Baton Rouge. :blink: I don't miss the traffic.

But yeah...I'm really curious to see the latest, post-Katrina estimates for Livingston, Ascension, Tangipahoa, and St. Tammany. The I-12 corridor is the hot-spot for Louisiana right now.