Denham Springs & Livingston Parish

Rardy

My biggest question with Juban Crossing, is does DS have the population to support such a development like that with such names as Dillard's in it?

I'd say definitely. Livingston's now up to what? 130,000? And it's growing very quickly. Plus, there'll be a regional draw from Tangipahoa (110,000 and growing) and some EBR.

Places like Alexandria, Monroe, and Hattiesburg have less population in that tight a radius, yet both support 1,000,000+ sq. ft. malls...

I had not seen anything going on over there when I passed by a couple weeks ago.

One Friday evening I was suprised that Cortana looked so vibrant on the one side where Dillards is with Picadilly, Ruby Tuesdays, Sears, etc.

I drove past there two weeks ago and didn't see anything going on.

I'd say definitely. Livingston's now up to what? 130,000? And it's growing very quickly. Plus, there'll be a regional draw from Tangipahoa (110,000 and growing) and some EBR.

Places like Alexandria, Monroe, and Hattiesburg have less population in that tight a radius, yet both support 1,000,000+ sq. ft. malls...

Very good point. I had no idea that those places supported that kind of sq ft of malls. I always knew that Juban Crossing would draw from more of a regional aspect, but will enough people from the region go to support it. I think it's more of a good thing for BR with the prospect that those people won't have to drive "way" over here to have good shopping.

Yeah Rardy I would not be suprised at all if Livingston's pop.was 130,000; it was closing in on 120,000 last I heard. The number of subdivisions going up is astounding! It will be interesting to see where exactly? the eastern stretch of the loop will go??

Nice new avatar Bryde! Really cool. Gotta give props to the G-Men! :thumbsup:

Some more on Juban Crossing & Market Place. Nothing there now, wonder when it will start??

http://southcentral.construction.com/featu...08_feature2.asp

Developers agree that location is everything when it comes to a successful mixed-use development.

I agree Richy, mixed-use developments are destinations in themselves, they are like mini-downtowns. I really love the whole mixed use developments. I simply can't wait until Perkins Rowe opens. I assume the Juban Crossing will be quite similar to the River Ranch development in Lafayette. I would have liked to see Towne Center be more like River Ranch, with the aspect of having more residential. Maybe later they would consider expanding further down Corporate Dr. into that empty land across from Citi Place or incorporate Citi Place and Towne Center together with residential. Just a thought.

Edited by twstdndmntd

• 3 weeks later...

^It's crazy the amount of vacant land across Corporate Blvd. from CitiPlace. A master-planned neighborhood with a mix of residential and ample greenspace or a park too.

Ooops..this is a Livingston thread...even tiny Satsuma(east of Walker) is getting in on the action.

Urban, suburban, and now....'exurban'

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/9808447.html

Nevertheless, exurban growth is expected to continue along the Interstate 10/Interstate 12 corridor.

Newer developments like Suma Crossing take aim at some of the concerns about exurban growth. Known as

I think it's neat that Baton Rouge is lagre enough to have exurbs, but I also don't like the idea because they just make it harder for places like downtown and Florida Boulevard to become affluent again.

I agree Dan. I like that we have areas of "suburban" and "exurban" but it makes us harder to grow here in the city. I have long said that alot of the reason BR is not looked at as a "city" and more of an over grown burb is the fact that we have no downtown area or any area that looks like a city, ie highrise buildings. My biggest problem with places like Satsuma, Walker, etc growing is we already have a sprawl problem and I think it will only get worse as all those smaller towns want to get in on that piece of pie. Then we end up like Houston which, lets face it, just goes everywhere. LOL

I agree Dan. I like that we have areas of "suburban" and "exurban" but it makes us harder to grow here in the city. I have long said that alot of the reason BR is not looked at as a "city" and more of an over grown burb is the fact that we have no downtown area or any area that looks like a city, ie highrise buildings. My biggest problem with places like Satsuma, Walker, etc growing is we already have a sprawl problem and I think it will only get worse as all those smaller towns want to get in on that piece of pie. Then we end up like Houston which, lets face it, just goes everywhere. LOL

It takes investment into the mid city to get people back.

In order for downtown to become both a daytime destination and a work destination West Baton Rouge will have to grow instead of Livingston and Ascension. West Baton Rouge sprawl might actually be good for downtown and mid city.

If there were another 20K people living there, I could easily see a need for a mall in or around downtown. And who would want to commute to Sherwood or College drive when Downtown is only 10 minutes away?

• 1 month later...

:w00t:

Livingston Parish officials say they continue to be approached by theme park companies and others who are interested in building a large family attraction off of Interstate 12. The parish has commissioned a feasibility study to look into the likelihood of building a 1,500-acre to 2,000-acre attraction, says Paco Swain, president of the Livingston Board of Realtors and a member of the parish's economic development council. The plan is to have the study completed by around the end of the year; at the same time the parish will approach several large landowners to gauge their interest in selling property for a theme park. "There's a tremendous void between Houston and Orlando for family entertainment," Swain says. "The timing is right for us to go after this." There have been rumors about world-renowned theme park and entertainment operators looking at Livingston for everything from a water park to a baseball complex. Recent published reports about the feasibility study led to Swain getting calls at his home on a Sunday from potential tenants, he says. Eric Edwards, the parish's director of tourism, says Livingston is poised for a big development because of available land and growth along the Interstate 10-Interstate 12 corridor. But parish leaders want to be cautious, Edwards says, because of the recent situation involving the Louisiana International Speedway in Tangipahoa Parish. That project was proudly announced by economic development officials, but fell apart after it was revealed the developer had a spotty background, including a fraud conviction

• 2 months later...

Denham Springs has finally become somebody! :D I rode by there and they put of a new Denham Springs sign going east on I-10, one of those interstate signs that hang over the road. I remember reading and article a while ago saying they were going to do that in light of there new growth. Also the huge Bass Pro is coming along nicely as ya'll might have seen in Nate's pictures on the Development thread. Now we just need to get that Juban Crossing started.

Speaking of Juban Crossing, they had Parish President Mike Grimmer on 9 News this morning. He said there were a few hurdles to clear, but they have not gotten them worked out. (Mainly wetlands issues). They should start work on the project in mid to late January or the first of Feb. He said total constuction time will be 3 years, but the first phase has already be leased out and that of course will be the first to open.

Also they spoke about a 2000 acre of land that is being sold, but did not say what it will be used for.

It's probably this! :D:w00t::D

Also they spoke about a 2000 acre of land that is being sold, but did not say what it will be used for.

Livingston Parish officials say they continue to be approached by theme park companies and others who are interested in building a large family attraction off of Interstate 12. The parish has commissioned a feasibility study to look into the likelihood of building a 1,500-acre to 2,000-acre attraction, says Paco Swain, president of the Livingston Board of Realtors and a member of the parish's economic development council. The plan is to have the study completed by around the end of the year; at the same time the parish will approach several large landowners to gauge their interest in selling property for a theme park. "There's a tremendous void between Houston and Orlando for family entertainment," Swain says. "The timing is right for us to go after this." There have been rumors about world-renowned theme park and entertainment operators looking at Livingston for everything from a water park to a baseball complex. Recent published reports about the feasibility study led to Swain getting calls at his home on a Sunday from potential tenants, he says. Eric Edwards, the parish's director of tourism, says Livingston is poised for a big development because of available land and growth along the Interstate 10-Interstate 12 corridor.
Edited by dan326

• 4 weeks later...

It's probably this! :D:w00t::D

I just some info from a friend that is connected in real estate, and she told me that Disney has bought the 2000 acres. They are planning to have a Park and Resort. This will also help BR b/c they will be adding on to the Airport. I was told that a Press Conf. will be soon! Construction to start early 2009. This is what I was told, but I do not know how much is factual. :scared:

I just some info from a friend that is connected in real estate, and she told me that Disney has bought the 2000 acres. They are planning to have a Park and Resort. This will also help BR b/c they will be adding on to the Airport. I was told that a Press Conf. will be soon! Construction to start early 2009. This is what I was told, but I do not know how much is factual. :scared:

I sure hope so. If this is true than it might be the extra shot in the arm to really get us going. :D When people here about this it sure will set this city on fire!

Edited by dan326

Disney? In Louisiana? never in a million years would I have thought Disney would want to establish a park here. I guess I won't believe this until it happens.

It's possible. About a half year/year ago they announced that they would start making scaled down Disneys.

It takes investment into the mid city to get people back.

In order for downtown to become both a daytime destination and a work destination West Baton Rouge will have to grow instead of Livingston and Ascension. West Baton Rouge sprawl might actually be good for downtown and mid city.

wow thats a good point! Gladly it seems west baton rouge is finally getting a great deal i would say of growth. Starting with the walmart shopping center, then River place TND (think thats the name) and if the movie studio gets built there as propsed, things will be crackin there.