Denham Springs & Livingston Parish

Rardy

Look guys, I want to run an open forum where expression can be given freely but let's all be civil and act like grown-ups.

Having said that...we have a pretty neat feature here which allows you to place another user in an ignore list so their posts don't show up for you: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=ignoredusers

• Like 1

What are we supposed to do when the thread revolves around one of that persons posts and we can't see said posts?

You could act mature and not respond.

Let's not forget that this all started because Buckett wrongly accused someone of being a racist.

Neo has said several times that people should use the ignore feature yet some people would rather not take his advice.

Unfortunately no...heard it over the weekend from family down there who are involved with Baton Rouge politics, so it could be incorrect.

They said much of the subsurface work was underway but the developer was waiting on the TIF approval before proceeding.

Edited by cajun

Unfortunately no...heard it over the weekend from family down there who are involved with Baton Rouge politics, so it could be incorrect.

They said much of the subsurface work was underway but the developer was waiting on the TIF approval before proceeding.

An article states the retail tenants were still interested after Jindal vetoed the TIF. Maybe it will be drastically downsized and late. The usual.

What are we supposed to do when the thread revolves around one of that persons posts and we can't see said posts?

I assume all threads by the blocked user will be invisible as well?

I have a simpler solution.

Topics started by a user that has been ignored in your preferences is NOT hidden...just the posts from that user in that topic (including the first post since they started the topic). You can always choose to show individual posts if you have a user set as ignored in your list.

This is the simpler solution...take it or leave it. I don't have time to babysit. FWIW, it probably isn't best to bring up words like "mature" when an admin is trying to get users to drop the spam from the forum (itsjustme2). Act like adults. We have the option to ignore users and I really think you would find it helpful, but it's ultimately your choice.

• Like 1

I can honestly see a super center and some big box stores similar to what you see in Covington around their theater, Academy, and Target stores.

Best case scenario is another Town Center with B level stores. Think Sigen Marketplace but smaller.

Just don't see a mall like the one proposed happening anymore anywhere for a while. The economy is terrible and the modern retail consumer uses internet for a larger amount of their purchases. Small high margin retailers are not doing well in this economy, and will typically gravitate towards established retail centers like Tanger and Mall of La.

Just the trend I am seeing with my retail projects. Fewer, but larger boxes geared towards local demands....not regional shopping.

Edited by cajun

• 1 month later...

Is this little airport really needed?? BR Metro Airport & Hammond Airport are only a 30 minute drive away...are the same people against the loop for this airport?? It would be south of I-12 btwn Walker/Satsuma/Livingston if ever built.

Officials hope to build Livingston Parish airport

WALKER — With a positive feasibility study in hand, the parish has contacted state and federal aviation authorities about building an airport in Livingston Parish.

“A general aviation airport is deemed highly feasible from the parish perspective,” according to the study by LJC Poole LLC.

Parish President Layton Ricks has written to the state requesting inclusion of the proposed airport in the Louisiana Airport System Plan, and the parish’s consultant has contacted the Federal Aviation Administration about potential runway sites south of Interstate 12, records show.

The study says the airport would require at least 200 acres, but states that 500 acres would be ideal.

Interviews indicate the biggest hurdles are getting state and federal approval, finding a financially feasible way of obtaining land, securing grants to cover construction costs and dealing with noise concerns.

The airport would accommodate small private planes and corporate jets but not large jets, Parish President Layton Ricks said.

More than 50 planes, including five jets, are registered to owners in the parish, he said.

To comply with the guidelines and a request from the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory, which is a facility in Livingston researching cosmic gravitational waves, the airport probably would be built somewhere south of Interstate 12 and north of La. 42, between La. 63 and La. 447, he said.

To minimize cross-wind landings, planners want to build the runway in a north-to-south orientation since most area winds come from the south. The site location would be designed to avoid urban areas and towers, Cutrera said. The parish is considering a 5,400-foot runway in what is roughly estimated as a $12 million project.

*rest of long article

http://theadvocate.com/home/3623790-125/officials-hope-to-build-livingston

Is this little airport really needed?? BR Metro Airport & Hammond Airport are only a 30 minute drive away...are the same people against the loop for this airport?? It would be south of I-12 btwn Walker/Satsuma/Livingston if ever built.

It's would be a small airport and wouldn't compete with BTR. What's the big deal? And how is loop opposition relevant?

Edited by itsjustme2

Not to mention the article states there are over 50 small plane owners living in Livingston.

Now, if a small airport is economically important to the parish, that's another story. I think Livingston has a "little brother" syndrome due to the success of EBR and Ascension parishes and tries to make up for it with projects like this and the proposed racetrack and minor league team. What they should be doing is fixing their roads and sanitation and other basic projects before investing time and money into these bigger projects. Just my opinion though. I don't live, nor have a desire to live in Livingston.

Edited by itsjustme2
  • Like 1

Yes....public money should definately be spent maintaining an airport for 50 people when two direct competitors are within a 30 minute drive.

I suppose it's not the worst scheme to come out of a government official, but it's up there.

I guess they'll put this right next to the racetrack and minor league ball stadium? Perhaps next to the Bass Pro that will attract shoppers from all over the world?

I'd much rather see a private airfield built. Let someone else take the risk....not the taxpayers. Airfield can still be built without expropriation in parts of LP. No need for government involvement. It's not like road or rail.

Let's take a look at the trends driving the eventual collapse of the muni. bond market:

Stoctkton, Ca

Jefferson Co, Al

Harrisburg, Pa

San Bernadino, Ca

Mammoth Lakes, Ca

Detroit, Mi

All are public entities that are either belly up or on the verge of bankruptcy. While public sector unions are not powerful in La, Birmingham proved that enough stupidity can push a county over the edge. These local governments need to exercise more fiscal restraint in this difficult economy. That is especially true of Baton Rouge.

Edited by cajun

It's would be a small airport and wouldn't compete with BTR. What's the big deal? And how is loop opposition relevant?

I'm just asking the questions...doesn't matter to me if the airport gets built or not. A lot of the opposition to the loop was the noise factor...unless it's built in a remote location noise will be a factor; esp with the low flying aircraft.

Yeah cajun...we all know Detroit is in bad shape...but what suprised me is just how bad it is in Stockton CA...almost third-world like with the story they were showing on TV.

According to this Juban Crossing is still a "Go" ...behind the scenes

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM

I'm just asking the questions...doesn't matter to me if the airport gets built or not. A lot of the opposition to the loop was the noise factor...unless it's built in a remote location noise will be a factor; esp with the low flying aircraft.

That's a pretty big stretch comparing a interstate loop with that of a small regional backwoods airport.

That's a pretty big stretch comparing a interstate loop with that of a small regional backwoods airport.

The loop opposition is why I don't care if Livingston remains stuck in traffic forever.

The voucher opposition is why I don't care that Juban Crossing didn't get their TIF.

With that in mind, maybe they should waste money on an airport.

Livingston is being taken over by suburbanites, but it is very clear that the parochialism is still alive and well there. It's time to start thinking regionally....and Livingston is just encouraging division. It's a conservative version of north Baton Rouge.

Edited by cajun

Cajun, if you feel that way about Livingston do you feel the same about Ascension? Feel free to post in the Acsension thread.

I would oppose the loop as well, it isn't current form. There's better alternatives to alleviate traffic.

Ascension isn't quite as bad....but it's there.

I challenge you to figure out how to alleviate traffic on days like today.....when 10 is completely shut down like it is at least twice a year due to an accident.

Companies are having to close because their workers can't get to work. BRCC is canceling some classes. Lights are being turned off on Airline to make it flow.

This shouldn't happen in a metro area of over 800,000.