Denham Springs & Livingston Parish

Rardy

The loop opposition is why I don't care if Livingston remains stuck in traffic forever.

The voucher opposition is why I don't care that Juban Crossing didn't get their TIF.

With that in mind, maybe they should waste money on an airport.

Livingston is being taken over by suburbanites, but it is very clear that the parochialism is still alive and well there. It's time to start thinking regionally....and Livingston is just encouraging division. It's a conservative version of north Baton Rouge.

Ah yes, those evil suburbanites and their silly homes and neighborhoods that would be effected by a loop.

Meanwhile, what has EBR done to build a loop within it's parish border? Nothing. It's easier to blame others I guess.

This shouldn't happen in a metro area of over 800,000.

It's not a common occurrence for 3 18 wheelers to wreck and spill fuel on the interstate.

Ascension isn't quite as bad....but it's there.

I challenge you to figure out how to alleviate traffic on days like today.....when 10 is completely shut down like it is at least twice a year due to an accident.

Companies are having to close because their workers can't get to work. BRCC is canceling some classes. Lights are being turned off on Airline to make it flow.

This shouldn't happen in a metro area of over 800,000.

I agree with me2 here, this happens in cities of all sizes, and shouldn't be accounted for in a city that can't afford most of the projects it does now. The only emergencies that officials should plan for are hurricane evacuations, not traffic accidents.

I have threads with my interstate proposals in this forum, feel free to post in them as it's a favorite topic of mine.

Ah yes, those evil suburbanites and their silly homes and neighborhoods that would be effected by a loop.

Meanwhile, what has EBR done to build a loop within it's parish border? Nothing. It's easier to blame others I guess.

It's not a common occurrence for 3 18 wheelers to wreck and spill fuel on the interstate.

I never agreed with the "homes being effected by the loop" argument, it's very weak to me. My only concern is effectiveness and financial responsibility.

A loop completely within parish borders wouldn't work, you'd have to cross the river in two locations at least, and EBR is more densely populated.

I never agreed with the "homes being effected by the loop" argument, it's very weak to me. My only concern is effectiveness and financial responsibility.

A loop completely within parish borders wouldn't work, you'd have to cross the river in two locations at least, and EBR is more densely populated.

So it's ok to mow down neighborhoods in Ascension and Livingston, but unacceptable for EBR?

It's also feasable to build bridges over rivers in Livingston and Ascension, but not in EBR? A loop needs to cross the Mississippi regardless. Again. That argument is flawed.

Fact is Baton Rouge is built along a river and the city/parish leaders missed the opportunity a long time ago. Accept it and adapt.

I'd be totally okay with another bridge in BR. Iberville Parish killed the Brusly/BR proposal because they wanted a bridge in their parish and not WBR....and the east bank routing would flow through ibberville.

The idea behind routing in suburban parishes was to benefit commuters in those regions and limit the need to expropriate homes by going through more sparsely populated areas.

In any case, LP's parochialism goes way beyond the loop to the point where I personally consider them culturally and politically detached from the rest of the state.

If Livingston doesn't want a loop or can't contribute to any regional goal (be it traffic, drainage, or education), then we shouldn't expect East Baton Rouge to spend it's tax dollars or political capital creating additional crossings into LP.

Edited by cajun

So it's ok to mow down neighborhoods in Ascension and Livingston, but unacceptable for EBR?

It's also feasable to build bridges over rivers in Livingston and Ascension, but not in EBR? A loop needs to cross the Mississippi regardless. Again. That argument is flawed.

Fact is Baton Rouge is built along a river and the city/parish leaders missed the opportunity a long time ago. Accept it and adapt.

East Baton Rouge is more densely populated, you know that. You have to do what you have to do and Livingston and Ascension are far far less dense. Plus, this is where the bulk of the traffic comes from, why wouldn't it reach these areas?

You said completely in the parish, thats not possible because you have to cross the river. Nothing to do with Ascension or Livingston. I meant one bridge crossing south of BR and one crossing north, without crossing the Amite. Since, you mentioned Kips inability to propose a loop within EBR.

You are never too late.

• 2 months later...

Blount breathing new life into stalled Walker subdivision

An 18-lot subdivision on Peak Lane, just off Florida Boulevard in Walker, has been purchased by Blount General Contractors and is once again under development after having stalled out and been foreclosed on by American Gateway Bank in recent years. Blount purchased the undeveloped lots from Gateway in July, says the firm's managing member, John Blount, and has since begun constructing homes on five of them. "We've already sold four of them and we've just gotten started, so we're pretty pleased with the response so far," Blount says. All of the homes in the subdivision, which will be called Park Gardens, will measure from 1,300 feet to 1,500 square feet and will be priced somewhere around $140,000 to $160,000. Blount says he hopes to have the entire subdivision built out within 12 to 18 months. The project began in 2010, he says, but was foreclosed on about a year later by American Gateway, which then completed some unfinished drainage and other site work before selling to Blount. The subdivision will be built along one road with a cul-de-sac, Blount says. "It's a great setting. There's a little lake on the property, and it's just three minutes from the interstate," he says. The Walker-based firm has previously developed many subdivisions in Livingston Parish, including Spring Lake, Cross Creek and Cross Creek Gardens. The purchase price of the subdivision was not disclosed. —Steve Sanoski

Businessreport.com

• 4 weeks later...

'We are so close' to signing more retailers, says Juban Crossing developer

The long-delayed Juban Crossing development—which originally hoped to be nearing completion on the first phase of the project by now, having broken ground in February 2011—is still progressing, a spokeswoman for developer Creekstone Companies says. Rebecca Rainier also says the project, which is now aiming for completion of the first phase next year, did not suffer a major setback in June when Gov. Bobby Jindal vetoed Senate Bill 673 in June for creation of the Juban Crossing Economic Development District. State Sen. Dale Erdey, R-Livingston, agrees. However, Erdey notes the development district would have been allowed to keep 1% of state sales tax revenues generated there for "horizontal infrastructure"—roads, underground utilities, drainage, sewerage—for a maximum $45 million. He says development plans could change somewhat for the 470-acre site, which is slated to include stores, hotels, 500 homes, two apartment sites, restaurants and a theater. "It just may not be as grand as we had anticipated," Erdey says. When Creekstone Companies broke ground on Juban Crossing nearly two years ago, it announced Kohl's department store would join the development as the first committed retailer. No other retailer has been confirmed since, but Rainier says Creekstone is negotiating with "more than a dozen" retailers, including Kohl's, to join the development. She says hang-ups have occurred, however, primarily regarding who will open in the first or second phase. "We are so close," Rainier says. —Adam Pearson Read full story here.

Businessreport.com

Ascension isn't quite as bad....but it's there.

I challenge you to figure out how to alleviate traffic on days like today.....when 10 is completely shut down like it is at least twice a year due to an accident.

sad but true.

Ascension into Baton Rouge

hwy 30., Old Perkins, Airline, Interstate 10,& old Jefferson.

if one of those is shut down....we're screwed.

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't see a minor league ball team ever going there. What major team is would it expand and support?

Zephyrs are a Marlin's affiliate, right?

No question that there is plenty of baseball talent in the region, but I've always felt that LSU's amazing success in baseball would keep minor league teams out of the Capitol region while the Zephyrs have cornered the NOLA market.

Edited by cajun

• 2 weeks later...

All Star Automotive buys 3 acres to expand Denham Springs dealership

An approximately three-acre tract of land off Interstate 12 in Denham Springs has been purchased by All Star Automotive Group, which plans to use the land to expand its neighboring Dodge and Ford dealerships. "We just finished an over $1 million remodeling of the Dodge dealership; we're also going to remodel the Ford dealership, and we need additional parking for vehicle sales," says Dennis Carlin, All Star Automotive chief operating officer. Carlin says the auto group hopes to have the additional 270 spaces completed by the end of the year. The land sold for approximately $500,000, or $3.83 per square foot, according to Mark Hebert of Kurz & Hebert Commercial Real Estate, who represented the dealership in the sale. Doug Ferris of Re/Max First Commercial represented the seller, Jack Barilleau. Hebert says Barilleau had owned the land since 1978 and at one time had been asking as much as $900,000 for it. "It's been on the market for a number of years, but at a price that was too prohibitive," Hebert says. "Unless you're the end user, it's really hard to justify the high prices for some of these properties that front the interstate. For All Star, this was a natural fit. This was truly the best use for this property." —Steve Sanoski

Businessreport.com

• 3 weeks later...
Commission OK's $30M in revenue bonds for Juban Crossing

The State Bond Commission today approved $30 million in sales tax revenue bonds for the Juban Crossing mixed-use development in Livingston Parish. The bonds were approved for the operation and maintenance of roads and bridges at the development; construction of drainage and flood prevention works; general infrastructure improvements; funding a deposit for a debt service reserve fund; and paying capitalized interest. You can get the complete details on the action approved today regarding Juban Crossing from the State Bond Commission here. In late December, the Livingston Parish News reported Juban Crossing was restarting, and that a representative for the development informed the Livingston Parish Council the project will break ground this month and its first phase will open in mid-April 2014. the first groundbreaking on the project was held in February 2011. The Bond Commission's report on today's action says: "Staff has been informed the [$200 million in bonds the commission OK'd in June 2007] will not be issued, and the entity is starting over with a new transaction and new professionals." Also today, the Bond Commission OK'd $45 million in revenue bonds for the East Baton Rouge Sewerage Commission to construct sewers and sewerage disposal works.

Businessreport.com

• 4 weeks later...

Talks of a Lamar-Dixon type expo center were recently dicussed for Livingston Parish. Might good location for this be next to Juban Crossing?? A new minor league ball park nearby could also work...but as mentioned many times before; LSU baseball seems to dominate the local scenery.

My first choice for the expo center & minor league ball park would have been next to Bass Pro...it would have had enough room; though compact...instead the view from I-12 is of the ugly back-side of Sam's Club....

According to the news they're going to announce stores in the next few weeks, of course we already know what it's gonna be if that site plan was right.

Edit: I found another list that says the development'll include:

Bed, Bath, and Beyond (Maybe that's why they shut down the one on Seigen)

Belk

Dick's

Kohl's

Lane Bryant

Michael's

Old Navy

Olive Garden

Outback

Petsmart

Ross

Shoe Carnival

TJ Maxx

ULTA

14 screen theater

http://sct.epubxp.com/i/62026/208

Edited by dan326

Livingston Parish eyes zoning, commercial corridor

Officials say they are considering creating a commercial corridor that would run across Livingston Parish along Interstate 12 and U.S. 190. The corridor would be zoned to attract manufacturers, retailers and other businesses.

“If there is no zoning, businesses are worried about what is going to pop up beside them,” Parish President Layton Ricks said. “Businesses want to know what happens if they spend millions of dollars to locate here.” The idea of zoning hasn’t been popular in the parish, but not having zoning makes it harder to recruit some retailers and manufacturers, he said.

http://theadvocate.com/home/5117167-125/livingston-parish-eyes-zoning-commercial

• Like 1