Denham Springs & Livingston Parish

Rardy

On 1/29/2015 at 11:05 PM, mr. bernham said:

Why do people here like Walk-Ons so much? Personally I think the food there is horrible.

I know this is an older post, but does anyone know if Walk On's current expansion still includes the "half court" concept downtown?

Edited by cajun

• 2 months later...

https://www.businessreport.com/article/news-roundup-best-western-plus-open-walker-national-association-state-fire-marshals-urges-amazon-com-stop-selling-smoke-alarms-lacking-independent-third-party-testing-labels

Opening soon: A new Best Western Plus is opening in Walker, just off Interstate 12 behind LaQuinta Inn & Suites. A ribbon cutting is planned for noon on Friday. The 100% new smoke free hotel includes amenities such as an outdoor pool, exercise room, wireless Internet, a cocktail lounge and a complimentary breakfast.

• 1 year later...

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_23a48bd4-55ee-11e7-8e4f-6304fb461b7a.html

Hi Nabor plans Denham Springs grocery store

Hi Nabor hopes to start construction in 2018 on a new grocery store at the intersection of La. 16 and Magnolia Beach Road in Denham Springs.

Jim Crifasi, president of Hi Nabor, said he’s working to mitigate wetlands on the 19-acre site his family owns. The 35,000-square-foot store would anchor a retail development at the busy intersection.

Luxury apartment complex going up near Juban Crossing

Construction is underway on an upscale multifamily development at 10077 Juban Crossing, near the Juban Crossing shopping center in Denham Springs.

Alabama-based Doster Construction Co. broke ground on The Springs at Juban Crossing in March. The project—located just northwest of Rouses—comprises 12 buildings with a total of 272 one-, two-, and three-bedroom townhome-style apartments with ground-level private entrances

https://www.businessreport.com/article/luxury-apartment-complex-going-near-juban-crossing

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2017 at 2:57 PM, dan326 said:

Luxury apartment complex going up near Juban Crossing

Construction is underway on an upscale multifamily development at 10077 Juban Crossing, near the Juban Crossing shopping center in Denham Springs.

Alabama-based Doster Construction Co. broke ground on The Springs at Juban Crossing in March. The project—located just northwest of Rouses—comprises 12 buildings with a total of 272 one-, two-, and three-bedroom townhome-style apartments with ground-level private entrances

https://www.businessreport.com/article/luxury-apartment-complex-going-near-juban-crossing

Livingston really needs to start investing in its road network.   Another 350 people living off Juban Road, and it is still a narrow two lane road just north of this development, with no connection beyond Florida.

Edited by cajun

1 hour ago, cajun said:

Livingston really needs to start investing in its road network.   Another 350 people living off Juban Road, and it is still a narrow two lane road just north of this development, with no connection beyond Florida.

Yep...TYPICAL....been saying that til' blue in the face!  They can't continue all the new residential projects & leave that Rural 2-lane Juban Road the same.  The right turn lane at Florida/Hwy 190 is not long enough either....& that apartment complex on (north of) Florida will make a Juban Road extension(to Lockhart Rd./near North Park )have to hook to the left.....they would like have to reconfigure intersection & shift it slightly west.

Juban Crossing shopping center set-up has been a disappointment ..wish they had stuck w original plan

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 12:05 AM, Antrell Williams said:

Why would they invest in infrastructure? That'll cost monies!

I'm fully on board with Ascension and Livingston taxing themselves to improve their local road network, but they also face the same problem as the rest of the capital region in the sense that so many of their state and federal highways have not been updated EVER despite an explosion of growth in the past 50 years.      200,000 people have moved into both of those parishes since 1960.     210,000 new people moved into East Baton Rouge during the same time period - so it isn't entirely flight from the city.    The area has legitimately grown from an MSA population of about 250,000 to about 850,000 in 50 years while other metro areas in the state remained stagnant or even declined - and that occurred while so many households went from owning one car to two cars.   Traditional families went from having one spouse commuting to work to two.          

300% more people but 0% more lanes on US 61 or US 190.   
300% more people but 0% more lanes on I-10 between downtown and College.   
300% more people but 0% more gates at the airport.
300% more people but 0% more lanes or bridges over the Mississippi River
300% more people but 0% more lanes on LA30
300% more people but 0% more retention lakes, diversion canals, or flood control

The citizens of East Baton Rouge taxed themselves to improve their road network and sewers as they grow.    Why shouldn't they expect the state and federal roads to be brought into the 21st century?

I don't think it is reasonable to expect Livingston taxpayers alone to widen US 190 to 6 lanes or to build a bridge at Hooper Road.  Unlike Juban Road or Lockhart....US 190 and the bridge over Comite @Hooper are major state/federal routes that are part of a regional transportation network.   At some point the state and federal government funding needs to flow into this area.   That goes for everything from Widening I-10 or Airline in Baton Rouge to the Comite Diversion Canal  -  that cannot and should not fall entirely on local taxpayers.  

Baton Rouge has shoveled a lot of local tax dollars into their roads, parks, and Children's Museum.    The state still hasn't corrected the I-10/I-110 merge point, Widened I-10, repaired the governor's mansion curve pavement or drainage, widened Airline Highway, built another bridge over the intercoastal canal (that they constructed a hundred years ago) in WBR, or widened LA30.    None of those improvement and expansion projects should fall entirely on local taxpayers since they are all regional or super-regional in scope.    Not only are those routes functionally obsolete, but they are also neglected eye sores with inadequate lighting, shoulders, and rough pavement.

Meanwhile, New Orleans gets $30 million from state taxpayers in Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and Lafayette to build a bigger and better Children's Museum for them while the state can barely pay the bills.    

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, cajun said:

I'm fully on board with Ascension and Livingston taxing themselves to improve their local road network, but they also face the same problem as the rest of the capital region in the sense that so many of their state and federal highways have not been updated EVER despite an explosion of growth in the past 50 years.      200,000 people have moved into both of those parishes since 1960.     210,000 new people moved into East Baton Rouge during the same time period - so it isn't entirely flight from the city.    The area has legitimately grown from an MSA population of about 250,000 to about 850,000 in 50 years while other metro areas in the state remained stagnant or even declined - and that occurred while so many households went from owning one car to two cars.   Traditional families went from having one spouse commuting to work to two.          

300% more people but 0% more lanes on US 61 or US 190.   
300% more people but 0% more lanes on I-10 between downtown and College.   
300% more people but 0% more gates at the airport.
300% more people but 0% more lanes or bridges over the Mississippi River
300% more people but 0% more lanes on LA30
300% more people but 0% more retention lakes, diversion canals, or flood control

The citizens of East Baton Rouge taxed themselves to improve their road network and sewers as they grow.    Why shouldn't they expect the state and federal roads to be brought into the 21st century?

I don't think it is reasonable to expect Livingston taxpayers alone to widen US 190 to 6 lanes or to build a bridge at Hooper Road.  Unlike Juban Road or Lockhart....US 190 and the bridge over Comite @Hooper are major state/federal routes that are part of a regional transportation network.   At some point the state and federal government funding needs to flow into this area.   That goes for everything from Widening I-10 or Airline in Baton Rouge to the Comite Diversion Canal  -  that cannot and should not fall entirely on local taxpayers.  

Baton Rouge has shoveled a lot of local tax dollars into their roads, parks, and Children's Museum.    The state still hasn't corrected the I-10/I-110 merge point, Widened I-10, repaired the governor's mansion curve pavement or drainage, widened Airline Highway, built another bridge over the intercoastal canal (that they constructed a hundred years ago) in WBR, or widened LA30.    None of those improvement and expansion projects should fall entirely on local taxpayers since they are all regional or super-regional in scope.    Not only are those routes functionally obsolete, but they are also neglected eye sores with inadequate lighting, shoulders, and rough pavement.

Meanwhile, New Orleans gets $30 million from state taxpayers in Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and Lafayette to build a bigger and better Children's Museum for them while the state can barely pay the bills.    

Can we send this to Governor or congressman or editor or someone?? :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Construction of new shopping center, restaurants to start across from Bass Pro

HOLLY DUCHMANN
August 10, 2018

Construction on a 9,500-square-foot shopping center will begin next week across from Bass Pro in Denham Springs, between Hooters and Serita’s Grill & Cantina.

The new Sac Au Lait Center will be anchored by Bonta Del Forno Ristorante, which will be Denham Spring’s first authentic Italian restaurant.

The restaurant will also feature a full wine bar and a wine selection cellar.

Nutritional cafe FitzBlend will also be located in the center, the furthest east the Lafayette-based franchise has ventured. They currently have locations in Youngsville, Maurice, Rayne and Baton Rouge, with another being built in Eunice.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/construction-new-shopping-center-restaurants-start-across-bass-pro-2

• 4 months later...

Bass Pro broker trying to land IKEA

Area broker Joe Moore, of Re/Max First, is fishing to bring an IKEA outlet store into the Bass Pro Shop development in Denham Springs.

Though far from certain, if successful the shop would be the first IKEA to open in Louisiana. The Swedish-company has a store in Houston and is known for its ready-to-assemble furniture and modern home decor.

While IKEA passed on opening any new stores in the U.S. last year, Moore plans to pitch Denham Springs as a possible destination at a Las Vegas real estate convention in the spring.

https://www.businessreport.com/business/bass-pro-broker-trying-to-land-ikea

Edited by dan326
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, dan326 said:

The other option is Nebraska Furniture Mart which seems pretty cool too. 

I’m  out sure what a typical IKEA does revenue wise but I know the DFW Nebraska Furniture Mart, they were disappointed with just missing out on $1 billion of annual revenue. That place is pretty awesome. I bought couch there last week.

On 2/10/2019 at 12:36 AM, all2neat said:

I’m  out sure what a typical IKEA does revenue wise but I know the DFW Nebraska Furniture Mart, they were disappointed with just missing out on $1 billion of annual revenue. That place is pretty awesome. I bought couch there last week.

Wow, they must sell a lot!

• 2 months later...

Shoulders might become HOV lanes with a modest price tag

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/legislature/article_f18017bc-6767-11e9-94a5-ff5ba926d875.html

The affected areas are the inside shoulders along I-12 that now include three lanes in each direction.

The idea is to convert those shoulders into travel lanes during rush hours for cars and trucks with at least two occupants.

"You give them some incentive to carpool, which reduces congestion," Wilson said in an interview later Thursday.

The proposal, Senate Bill 84, next faces a vote in the full Senate.

Asked after the committee meeting about prospects for final approval Erdey said, "I think it has a 100 percent chance. It is another tool in the toolbox."

• 8 months later...

The next problem will be vehicles cutting across and blocking three lanes of traffic, left to right, to exit at Denham & Juban. They are having to build an additional overpass to prevent this same problem I-10 west @ College, smh. They should make it a controlled thruway lane during rush hour just for people passing through town and not stopping. This “express lane” exit should be just after the Juban exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

While  at Half Time oil change just north of Florida Blvd ...looked South and saw an impressive structure thru the trees  several & shopping center parking lots ; a few hundred yards away!

It wasn't a silly 4 story Self Storage like in Denham Springs Range Ave/I-12....

This was "Legit" 3 story CITY HALL;  Pic taken  from Walker South Road (not the best angle); This is impressive for the small growing town of Walker (abt 20 miles East of BR)

IMG_1133.thumb.jpg.490c7c3ce25647a8d89ecea26962cc4d.jpg

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2