Senator Tim Johnson of South Dakota suffers brain hemorrhage

Snowguy716

This is bad news. I've seen what brain hemorrhages can do to people. My mother had a stroke as the result of a brain hemorrhage 12 years ago and has never recovered fully (physically) from it. While her mental capacity was not affected, you can never be too sure what can happen. Luckily he did not suffer from a stroke, though he did have symptoms of one.

Of course there are political implications as well. If he can not stand for his term in the senate, the governor of South Dakota, a Republican, would likely appoint another Republican to stand in for Johnson until 2008. This would tip the senate back into the hands of the Republicans.

I hope Johnson recovers for the sake of himself and his family, but also for the sake of this country. I know that sounds shallow, but it's very true. We can't afford 2 more years of Republican control in the senate.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has amazed me how the man gets sick and the Republicans are already swirling around like vultures. I won't be surprised if they steal a majority in the senate... it would be a perfect example of the GOP of 2006.

As far as Johnson's health goes, the operation was successful and he is recovering from it. Let's hope the hemorrhage didn't cause any tissue damage in the brain.

It has amazed me how the man gets sick and the Republicans are already swirling around like vultures. I won't be surprised if they steal a majority in the senate... it would be a perfect example of the GOP of 2006.

As far as Johnson's health goes, the operation was successful and he is recovering from it. Let's hope the hemorrhage didn't cause any tissue damage in the brain.

I don't think I have seen one single Republican say they hope to take control because of this. In fact they have been silent about it except that his Republican colleague from SD wished him a full recovery. It is all the news organizations trying to make something out of nothing for the ratings.

It's one thing to beat up the Republicans or Democrates for that matter on their record, but another just to take punches at them that are not deserved. This is one of them.

Kind of a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation - in this case, I don't see how you can fault them for anything, the licking their chops and circling like vultures bits just make it apparent that you are biased. If there are any vulturelike actions so far by the GOP, please post, would be news to me. At any rate, the best way to beat a republican is to not appear to be biased yourself... :whistling:

Of course they don't come out on the day of his brain surgery and say "Goooooood... Goooooooooood!" while curling their fingers up.

I wrote that post because I have several Republican friends and they had already seen the connection and started talking about Republicans getting control of the senate.

I also come from a state where a liberal-democrat senator was killed in a plane crash 2 weeks before hte election and then the governor appointed an independent to replace him. I can guarantee you that the likes of Karl Rove were not disappointed to hear that a Democratic senator from a Republican dominated state might have to give up his senate seat and have a replacement appointed by a Republican governor.

No, they may not be privately disappointed, but you can't condemn someone for their private thoughts which you can't confirm (I'm talking about the party, not your friends), or we'd all be McCarthy's.

But truthfully, the GOP may not want to regain control like this, one, they will look bad for doing so, and two, it may cause them to lose a 2008 presidential election because of the normal seesaw you get over control of congress vs. the presidency. i think they will want it to remain in the Dems control so they can accuse them of impotence later as well.

Archived