The Times wants city money for Pete Harris cafe

dingo

What crap. The editorial goes on and on about praising (the now closed) Pete Harris cafe by saying it was where both whites and blacks could eat together without racial strife. WHAT????? I ate at Outback last night and GOSH....there was a black family next to me. Im pretty sure that they werent harassed or denyed service because of their skin. :rolleyes:

Towards the end, the paper suggests that the new mayor should offer a emergency city loan. Isnt this the same paper that was all on Hightowers back because he was using city money for a hotel and convention center? I guess thats bad...but giving money to a DINER, that went BANKRUPT of all things, no...thats a much wiser investment.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What crap. The editorial goes on and on about praising (the now closed) Pete Harris cafe by saying it was where both whites and blacks could eat together without racial strife. WHAT????? I ate at Outback last night and GOSH....there was a black family next to me. Im pretty sure that they werent harassed or denyed service because of their skin. :rolleyes:

Towards the end, the paper suggests that the new mayor should offer a emergency city loan. Isnt this the same paper that was all on Hightowers back because he was using city money for a hotel and convention center? I guess thats bad...but giving money to a DINER, that went BANKRUPT of all things, no...thats a much wiser investment.

The racial remark the editorial mentions is ridiculous, agreed. This isn't Shreveport circa 1950.

I see you're point on the other issue, but the Pete Harris Cafe is a institution in Shreveport - like Canters, Langers or Nate & Al's here in LA. I couldn't imagine this city without them. I think it is important to support and preserve something that has been loved by the city for so many years - and really, is a historic landmark. Maybe it's a cafe, but it could just as easily be a buiding or statue that is well-known. After all, how much could it possibly cost to get them back up and running? A mere $100,000 - $200,000 could do it. It would be worth it.

its not a "institution" its where you go to eat. Its a diner. If we start lending money to a FAILED diner then what next? I'm sure theres a fireworks stand somewhere thats been in business for 20 years...what if it goes out of business tomorrow? Are we supposed to give it money too? Why not its a institution to "someone" out there in the world. What about a barber shop? Its a slippery slope and for a newspaper to suggest that while saying that a city money shouldnt be given to a hotel but we should instead give money to a diner. It just shows the backwardness of it all.

Pete Harris Cafe is an institution in Shrevpeort to many people - even if you don't think so. Why do you think the Times is trying to lure funds from the city to save it in the first place? Because it's important to the city!! You can't compare that restaurant to a fireworks stand or random barbershop... Pete Harris Cafe has an identitiy, like Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans. If Cafe Du Monde were to go out of business one day, you can't just write it off as another "failed diner"... the city and it's citizens would want to save it. Same case here.

Pete Harris was a Shreveport landmark. This is why there was even an article about the closure in a Canadian newspaper recently.

The city has a $430+ million budget for next year. One or two hundred thousand dollars is a mere drop in the bucket. One percent of $430 million is $4.3 million. One hundred thousand dollars is 0.23% of that budget, and two hundred thousand dollars is a negligible 0.47%!

Spend the money if it'll save the institution.

One or two hundred thousand dollars is a far cry from the eighty-five million the Convention Center hotel was valued at. By making that comparison, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I must add, however, that this should not set a precedent. If this same situation were to come up again in the future, the city would need to think long and hard about even considering the possibility. This definitely isn't something the city should get in the habit of doing, but in cases of major Shreveport landmarks like Pete Harris, I'd be okay with that.

Yes Pete Harris is an institution in S'Port. I used to spend a few weeks during the summer in S'Port back in the 80's. We would always make it a point to go and dine at the old Freeman and Harris Cafe.

Losing Pete Harris Cafe is like losing Tony's Seafood here in BR.

dingo you seem really down on Shreveport, enough you almost sound miserable. What more progressive city might you prefer to move to and live in?? Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side; it's "greener" where you water it. Don't be fooled, no city is perfect..they all have thier issue's. I've had friends move out of my backwards city for the "Big Time", whether it be Dallas, Atlanta, or metro Connecticut..and they moved back here. They found out it wasn't as bad as they thought.

Thanks for your opinions..it's always good to be progressive..but not to the point to get bitter. I'm sometimes frustrated with my backward's city; but there has been enough positive progress to let me know I'm in the right place. :thumbsup:

dingo you seem really down on Shreveport, enough you almost sound miserable. What more progressive city might you prefer to move to and live in?? Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side; it's "greener" where you water it. Don't be fooled, no city is perfect..they all have thier issue's. I've had friends move out of my backwards city for the "Big Time", whether it be Dallas, Atlanta, or metro Connecticut..and they moved back here. They found out it wasn't as bad as they thought.

Thanks for your opinions..it's always good to be progressive..but not to the point to get bitter. I'm sometimes frustrated with my backward's city; but there has been enough positive progress to let me know I'm in the right place. :thumbsup:

I'm all for preserving historical institutions as I'm very sentimental especially when it comes to Shreveport. (See my entry about the walkway across Line Avenue to the old P&S Hospital.) I do, however, wonder how anyone could draw the line if the city government steps in to help bail out a cafe. I remember way back when the Strand Theater was going to be torn down. Businesses banded together (with the help of - I believe - then Senator Richard Neeson who was big on downtown preservation) to save the Strand. I think that area business leaders should see what they can do to step in and help in matters such as these.

That being said, I can honestly say that when I came into town the past 2 times and saw the exit marker, I wondered who on Earth Pete Harris was. The only recollection I have of Freeman and Harris was hearing someone talk about how the doctors they worked for took the office staff there for their Christmas party and how, while the food was good, it was a hole in the wall. (NOT my own words....just repeating what someone else said! I've eaten at some delicious dumps!!!) So in my 23 years of living in Shreveport, it is not somewhere that comes to mind when you say "historical institution" but I do respect that it is that to some people.

I just think that the city stepping in on something like this and using tax dollars is not feasible as it would be quickly abused.

Just my 2 cents!

At the risk of sounding like Mr. Rogers, I think there are two issues being discussed in this thread.

One is whether this diner qualifies as a historic institution without which Shreveport will not be Shreveport.

The other is whether truly progressive cities have "relics" to which they hold onto and preserve.

I cannot comment on the first issue of discussion as I have no knowledge of this diner. But on the second issue, like Brian, I challenge anyone to name a progressive city that does not have a strong sense of history molded into its identity. The great cities of the U.S. ALL value their history, as do the great cities of the world. Consider the great cities of Europe - London, Paris, Rome, Vienna, etc. They're all incredibly historic and have an ingrained identity that is recognized by people who've never even visitied to these cities.

History is one of the primary things that makes cities unique and distinctive. New development rarely gives any city an identity - in fact it tends to homogenize and sterilize cities. But progressive cities truly value who they ARE when they recognize and celebrate who they have BEEN all while developing and morphing into who they want to BECOME. And that calls for protecting, publicizing, and celebrating the institutions, places, and people that shaped the city and gave it its identity.

Just like every city thinks they have the worst drivers in the country (why do people always think that? I've heard negative comments about Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Cajun, even Alexandria drivers), every city tends to focus on its problems. It is a sign of true intelligence when one recognizes that other cities are not perfect either, and learns to stop comparing their city to others.

Bash Shreveport all you want, but you're ignorant to think the way you do.

Name for me one city - as old as, or order than, Shreveport - which doesn't have a historic institution that it would hate to lose. I'm waiting to hear your response, though I know you can't name one.

Well, Richy, he claims to have lived in New Orleans and has said that city has nothing going for it either. He seems to believe that cities should completely forget about their past, not rescue old buildings or institutions, and become modern-day-every-other-new-growth-city.

But hey, I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinions. It's just a shame such ignorance could make someone think that a city's history isn't relevant to the present or future.

yeah...i "claim" to have lived in New Orleans...as if im trying to impress people by saying that? :rolleyes:

And yeah...New Orleans, other than the Saints, pretty much dont have anything going for it.

The other cities that were affected by katrina are moving forward while New Orleans justs sits there and dwells. I was there 2 weeks ago and have seen the city and its lack of progress since Katrina. So go ahead with the "New Orleans is the jewel of the south" comeback, I could use a good laugh.

With this statement, alone, you prove your lack of credibility. New Orleans is a world-class city with more history and more attractions than most other cities in this country. To say that New Orleans has nothing going for it aside from an NFL team, is ignorant at best.

Im just posint my opinions on a subject on a failed restaurant and a crime ridden nasty city that I used to live in. We could use more crime, run down schools with a city too poor to install air conditioners in the schools, corupt cops, a idiot mayor, businesses fleeing from the city for the past 30 years, a city that never had a hurricane evacuation plan, etc...

This goes beyond one restaurant. You've mentioned in other posts that Shreveport shouldn't restore "ghetto buildings," such as the West Edge area. Those aren't "ghetto buildings," they're what's left of historic buildings after years of neglect. They deserve to be redeveloped and reused.

Archived