will Danville, VA ever be included in the Triad metro?

cityboi

I think that one day Danville, VA will become a part of Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point. As the I-785 designation helps attract development and jobs. more and more people will commute between Greensboro and Danville. Danville is already a short drive from Greensboro, only 30 minutes.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where does the census report Danville currently? With Roanoke? I agree, they share much more with Greensboro and the Triad than they do with most cities in VA.

And for anyone who hasn't been to Danville, if you're in the area and like chicken salad, go to Midtown Market on Chambers St. They make the best chicken salad anywhere (next to my mom's of course) and they sell a ton of it per day! It's a neat store too, a turn of the century style grocery with only a few aisles, wood floors, and the meat dept. in the back (that's where they sell the Chicken Salad from)

I think Danville Va will be included in the Triad metro soon. Danville would be a welcome addition to the triad. As the textile industry slows more commuters will make the trip from Danville daily, As cityboi stated earlier the drive is very short. Who knows Danville might become a great city to welcome people into the triad on I-785 or maybe I-83 one day. On a side note: despite being on the border of NC, Danville looks distinctly differnet from from any town you would find in NC. I've always found this very interesting.

I think Danville Va will be included in the Triad metro soon. Danville would be a welcome addition to the triad. As the textile industry slows more commuters will make the trip from Danville daily, As cityboi stated earlier the drive is very short. Who knows Danville might become a great city to welcome people into the triad on I-785 or maybe I-83 one day. On a side note: despite being on the border of NC, Danville looks distinctly differnet from from any town you would find in NC. I've always found this very interesting.

Despite the many cross commuters and other relationships, they split the WS and GSO MSA, and rightfully so IMO, there is significant wilderness and lack of urbanization between them. Danville VA might as well be on the coast given it's connectedness to the Triad. Even if there a handful of commuters, though I don't believe this to be anything more than a handful literally, because they are not close together in several respects. And yes, there is even a sparsely populated county between them. And little cultural affinity. I vote no, not until the Triad has at least doubled in population, at a minimum, then it

York County (Rock Hill's county) shares a border with Mecklenburg County, which facilitates an easy commute into Charlotte for those who work there (like myself). Is Danville's county directly adjacent to either Forsyth or Guilford? Depending on how many counties separate it and the core counties, it could be a while, if ever, until Danville joins the Triad CSA. If anything, it will probably become what I call a "2nd tier" metro county, where residents of Danville and its county commute, not into Forsyth or Guilford, but into a suburban metro county (e.g., Rockingham)--thus making it part of the metro.

Technically, yes, Danville is adjacent to the Triad, but really just because Rockingham County is included in the Triad which I feel is not really accurate, along with a few others. Up until recently, I wouldn't even have considered Summerfield to have much connection to Greensboro, and it is in Guilford County. Rockingham is to me not related at all, I suppose there are probably exceptions, but pretty sure the average citizen has little to do with or would like being lumped in with GSO, or WS/HP. I just don't think the major cities of the Triad have enough regional influence [yet] to include even some of the areas currently considered Triad, much less Danville. There is a critical mass not yet reached, afterwards, then yes, maybe.

Despite the many cross commuters and other relationships, they split the WS and GSO MSA, and rightfully so IMO, there is significant wilderness and lack of urbanization between them. Danville VA might as well be on the coast given it's connectedness to the Triad. Even if there a handful of commuters, though I don't believe this to be anything more than a handful literally, because they are not close together in several respects. And yes, there is even a sparsely populated county between them. And little cultural affinity. I vote no, not until the Triad has at least doubled in population, at a minimum, then it

Technically, yes, Danville is adjacent to the Triad, but really just because Rockingham County is included in the Triad which I feel is not really accurate, along with a few others. Up until recently, I wouldn't even have considered Summerfield to have much connection to Greensboro, and it is in Guilford County. Rockingham is to me not related at all, I suppose there are probably exceptions, but pretty sure the average citizen has little to do with or would like being lumped in with GSO, or WS/HP. I just don't think the major cities of the Triad have enough regional influence [yet] to include even some of the areas currently considered Triad, much less Danville. There is a critical mass not yet reached, afterwards, then yes, maybe.

here is a map that show Triad commuting pattern. Its a map of 1990 and 2000. By now im sure more people are commuting to Greensboro from Rockingham county. The map also confirms that more people commute to Guilford County than any other county in the Triad. Whats interesting is that more people from Henry County, VA commute to Rockingham County than people from Caswell County which is also in the Triad. Currently Danville is not part of any MSA. Should the city of Danville want to seek greater visibilty for economic growth, the city could seek to become part of the Triad once Danville meets the commuting threshold. I-785 will help increase commuting along the corridor as the new interstate designation helps attract more business and companies.

also one thing to note is that the Greensboro News & Record is also distributed in Danville, VA, along with the other Triad Counties. So there appears to be some connections with Danville, VA and Greensboro.

http://www.partnc.org/images/2000%20Commut...terns%20Map.pdf

I imagine that if Greensboro was the size of Atlanta or if US 29 was a major interstate (who knows when the I-785 designation will be official), Danville may have been included in the Triad metro years ago. But they do seem to have some connections as far as news coverage and some advertising of Danville businesses.

I imagine that if Greensboro was the size of Atlanta or if US 29 was a major interstate (who knows when the I-785 designation will be official), Danville may have been included in the Triad metro years ago. But they do seem to have some connections as far as news coverage and some advertising of Danville businesses.

here is a map that show Triad commuting pattern. Its a map of 1990 and 2000. By now im sure more people are commuting to Greensboro from Rockingham county. The map also confirms that more people commute to Guilford County than any other county in the Triad. Whats interesting is that more people from Henry County, VA commute to Rockingham County than people from Caswell County which is also in the Triad. Currently Danville is not part of any MSA. Should the city of Danville want to seek greater visibilty for economic growth, the city could seek to become part of the Triad once Danville meets the commuting threshold. I-785 will help increase commuting along the corridor as the new interstate designation helps attract more business and companies.

also one thing to note is that the Greensboro News & Record is also distributed in Danville, VA, along with the other Triad Counties. So there appears to be some connections with Danville, VA and Greensboro.

http://www.partnc.org/images/2000%20Commut...terns%20Map.pdf

I don't see how Montgomery County can be included but not Pittslyvania County and Danville. Danville a city of I guess around 60,000 is around 45 miles away at the most with some growth spilling over into Rockingham county right at the line. I guess the Triad truly is more related to Biscoe and Troy.

I don't see how Montgomery County can be included but not Pittslyvania County and Danville. Danville a city of I guess around 60,000 is around 45 miles away at the most with some growth spilling over into Rockingham county right at the line. I guess the Triad truly is more related to Biscoe and Troy.

I don't agree that 785 will be any kind of stimulus for areas north, not even Rockingham Co., much less Danville. Because of Lake Brandt on the west and the path it has created from obstruction, the Greensboro loop is not really even leaving GSO city limits, and really only serves to better link areas like Summerfield, Oakridge, or Brown Summit into the metro.

I don't agree that 785 will be any kind of stimulus for areas north, not even Rockingham Co., much less Danville. Because of Lake Brandt, the Greensboro loop is not really even leaving GSO city limits, and really only serves to better link areas like Summerfield, Oakridge, or Brown Summit into the metro.

Archived