will Danville, VA ever be included in the Triad metro?

cityboi

^ What's the time frame on the I-83 extension? There is no direct path from DC to Danville, even among the state roads, so there would be seem to be a legitimate need, but would have to be a brand new road as piggy backing off of state roads will not really be possible here. I-66/211 to 15 to 58 (from DC to DV) is the best path I can see but is not direct.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ What's the time frame on the I-83 extension? There is certianly no direct path form DC to Danville, even among the state roads, so there would be seem to be a legitimate need, but would have to be a brand new road as piggy backing off of state roads will not really be possible here. I-66/211 to 15 to 58 (from DC to DV) is the best path I can see but is not direct.

Actually, I take back what I said, 29 is a fairly direct route in terms of a straight line (ish), and based on your link is partially what will be used. Although did not see a time frame and the project is not listed on VA's DOT site other than being mentioned in a list on a tech brief of I-81.

Regardless, it is an interesting idea to provide another link from Boswash to GSO that bypasses Richmond and the Triangle, which would seem to be the point (due to congestion). GSO and the Triad already have reasons for success and growth, but a new interstate following this path could prompt real growth among several smaller Virginia cities and give new life to the "Piedmont", which is also the portion of Virginia it would pass through. This could seriously alter the direction of growth of the eastern US megalopolis in another 100 years.

Actually, I take back what I said, 29 is a fairly direct route in terms of a straight line (ish), and based on your link is partially what will be used. Although did not see a time frame and the project is not listed on VA's DOT site other than being mentioned in a list on a tech brief of I-81.

Regardless, it is an interesting idea to provide another link from Boswash to GSO that bypasses Richmond and the Triangle, which would seem to be the point (due to congestion). GSO and the Triad already have reasons for success and growth, but a new interstate following this path could prompt real growth among several smaller Virginia cities and give new life to the "Piedmont", which is also the portion of Virginia it would pass through. This could seriously alter the direction of growth of the eastern US megalopolis in another 100 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that is an untapped market. In the future I would think that with all of the interstate connections to the Triad that the city itself will grow. If the Triad takes off in terms of Triangle growth rates then yeah it will be a forgone conclusion it will be included. With that said there needs to be more fortune 500s coming to the region for that to happen sooner than later.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived