No new billboards!

Veloise

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm in the minority, here, but I actually like billboards when placed in urban areas as they add another texture to the area. The ones on top of buildings are really interesting, in particular. But, yeah, the roadside ones in rural areas along freeways can get really bad. The worst example I've ever seen was going to Pahrump, NV from Las Vegas. Right before you enter Pahrump there are billboards evenly placed for a long stretch of the highway. I wish I had a picture.

The worst billboard ive ever seen is on corunna road in Flint. This old building, which houses a go cart/motercycle/atv shop, has a huge steel frame surrounding the whole building, with the billboard on the roof. Its pretty bad looking.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Oh I love that building, it reminds me of Brooklyn.

Really though, they aren't too bad. In fact, I've used them to help keep me awake when I'm driving late at night. I'll read them, because it prevents me from getting tunnel vision.

I think billboards across the state are pretty well maintained, and it's not like these things directly affect residents unless these people live right up along the freeway.

In the meantime, I'm seeing a sweeping number of billboards switching over to electronic LED boards (like jumbotrons). Saginaw now has 4.

Looks like the existing Zilwaukee bridge will be around for many years to come.

I hate cable stay bridges now. They seem so ubiquious. They aren't like suspension bridges or steel arches that carry VARIETY and beauty in form. Cable stays always look the same city to city, and the deck forms and designs are ugly as hell. Just look at the one in Toledo, there's nothing glamorous about it unless you are 1000 feet away. I thought I was a minority on this issue, but apparently they are hated throughout the architecture world as well.

Good riddance.

Billboards are unsightly. I don't disagree with the concept of a billboard in terms of the free market and what not but I just wish there was a way for them to be done in a classy manner. Unfortunately, that would cost a lot of extra money to make them artistic so I suppose a full out ban on them is the second best option.

To tell you the truth, the one thing I'd love to see a ban on is super tall signs for gas stations and restaurants. I know many communities have taken a stand on this now. The ground signs looks so much better because the businesses put more effort into decorative brickwork and landscaping around them.

Yeah. I guess the authority on that comes down to the municipal level, although most businesses are pretty cooperative. I actually find the lower signs easier to find. And in some instances they might even be safer in that you don't have to look up (away from the road) while you are driving. The only exception should be strip malls where you need some height to fit all the names on it.

Archived