New Hotel

doormanpoet

There will be a new 6 story all brick stick frame hotel on 13th and McGavock breaking ground in 2007. It will bud up to the Caldwell building and will be built in a historic motiff with a view of the Gulch. There will be several setbacks as the building tops out. It will be a low end amenity hotel much like a Hampton Inn resembling the Hampton Inn in Green Hills. The same architect has done a couple of buildings in the Gulch including an apartment building already there.

She told me they are saving costs by using stick frame so they do not need a crane for concrete pouring and rebar hoisting. It will take about a year to 18 months to complete. I saw the drawings and met a projetc manager she was working with. She is starting a development company specializing in low end hotels with historic facades and motiffs.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There will be a new 6 story all brick stick frame hotel on 13th and McGavock breaking ground in 2007. It will bud up to the Caldwell building and will be built in a historic motiff with a view of the Gulch. There will be several setbacks as the building tops out. It will be a low end amenity hotel much like a Hampton Inn resembling the Hampton Inn in Green Hills. The same architect has done a couple of buildings in the Gulch including an apartment building already there.

She told me they are saving costs by using stick frame so they do not need a crane for concrete pouring and rebar hoisting. It will take about a year to 18 months to complete. I saw the drawings and met a projetc manager she was working with. She is starting a development company specializing in low end hotels with historic facades and motiffs.

The brick facade will be like other brick structures on Lower Broadway, and in the CBD downtown. By low end for those not in the hotel industry does not mean cheap! Low End means not having the same services like a doorman, bellman, conceirge etc... Those services would be adminstered by those working the front desk. It is for the one bag business traveler who is not going to spend time at the hotel. It will have a two story garage underground with retail and resturants on the first floor. It will still be a $200+ a night hotel.

Someone needs to rethink this development. Not only that but this is where we should have stronger zoning to keep a building like this one from being built in downtown. When I say "like this one" I mean stick-frame and all. They are not a preferred construction, especially in downtown. I am sure it will be nice - for the first 5 or 6 years but after that it will most likely be crap. Any idea as to what brands this will be?

Brings up a good question, Memphian. Is stick frame (weird term to me) a potential fire hazard for a hotel of more than so many rooms? I ask b/c I'm aware of fire codes for apartments (fire walls, sprinklers, flame retardant materials, etc.). So if a hotel is built in a predominantly wooden frame structure, not to mention a six story hotel, does that violate any fire codes?

Many fo the Microtel and Suburban Inns are stick frome construction and I am not a fan of it. After being in the hotel industry for a number of years, I would have thought this type of construction would be gone by now. It is a cheaper way to build, but I agree it is not as safe of a structure as other all concrete buildings.

I think another 200 hundred a night hotel DT is going to be a bit much.

We have on the drawing boards now a W, Weston, Intercontinental, Homewood Suites, 2 hotel Indigos, Hampton Inn, Palamar, Plus two hotels at the Sounds site, not to mention any new convention hotels that would be built with the CC. Seems like more than the market can handle, IMO.

"Stick Frame" or "Wood Frame"? Because when I first read stick frame I though maybe that is construction lingo for steel-beams just bolted/welded together...I didn't take that to mean the hotel would actually be made of wood - but if that's what it means, then I'm shocked and awed!

I don't care if the hotel is made out of link-n-logs, it still seems to me like you would need some kind of crane to lift building materials to the top of a six story building. Surely the construction workers are not going to build the whole thing by hand!? Maybe he meant they won't need one of those big tower cranes, simply a mobile crane that can lift steel beams (hopefully) to the top floors?

We need more info!

• 3 weeks later...

What building are you guys talking about? Is there something already on the site? Where exactly is this? Also, I was wondering if this building might have the hotel surrounding a courtyard where cars will park. Otherwise, I don't see how this kind of structure would have underground parking.

Has William written anything about this?

Archived