Old Wal-Mart Building In West Ashley

toddbarwick

Has anyone heard of any plans for the vacant Wal-Mart building in Ashley Crossing in West Ashley? Wal-Mart stated that they would announce a new tenant at the end of October but nothing was ever announced and the building still has "For Lease" signs on it. It would seem to be the perfect location and size for a Kohl's store.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The size is rather huge for a Kohls store, don't you think? Regardless, that would be a great anchor for that shopping center. It would be impressive to have a larger Kohl's than most other locations, too.

I did hear a few years ago, however, that Wal-Mart was going to get its brother company, Sam's Wholesale, to locate at its old location. It would directly compete with Costco located near Citadel Mall. The building would have to be remodeled for more of a warehouse function, but I believe it could handle a Sam's. The wholesale company has not committed to anything, though.

The size is rather huge for a Kohls store, don't you think? Regardless, that would be a great anchor for that shopping center. It would be impressive to have a larger Kohl's than most other locations, too.

I did hear a few years ago, however, that Wal-Mart was going to get its brother company, Sam's Wholesale, to locate at its old location. It would directly compete with Costco located near Citadel Mall. The building would have to be remodeled for more of a warehouse function, but I believe it could handle a Sam's. The wholesale company has not committed to anything, though.

Actually no. Kohl's bought several former Wal-Mart buildings up north for new locations. That Wal-Mart building isn't very large compared with some of the newer Wal-Mart locations. Also, I would think that it would be fairly easy to subdivide any extra space that Kohl's deemed that it wouldn't need.

As for Sam's Club, that was most definitely the plan for the old Wal-Mart building originally; however that was before the company committed to relocating their North Charleston store from Aviation Square to Centre Pointe. When the decision was made to construct the new store at Centre Pointe, Sam's decided to kill the West Ashley store.

I've also heard that Staples is/was interested in a portion of the building (not the entire building). They might have changed their plans as well after opening the new store in South Windermere Center.

Well, they could just buy the store and tear it down to build their own. Thats what they've been doing in Spartanburg. Khol's, Lowe's, and Food Lion just build new stores over the sites of former retail stores that were no longer deemed worthy of saving.

Interestingly enough, Wal-Mart indicated that they had several interested retailers vying for the property and that they would make an announcement regarding a replacement tenant at the end of October. Nothing has been publicized as yet and the store still has "Space Available" signs up. I guess we'll just have to wait to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they could just buy the store and tear it down to build their own. Thats what they've been doing in Spartanburg. Khol's, Lowe's, and Food Lion just build new stores over the sites of former retail stores that were no longer deemed worthy of saving.

I guess this could be done, since the old WalMart encompasses the entire right half of the shopping complex. West Ashley also needs a Kohls. If Kohls demolished the building, we might see two tenants...Kohls and something like a Circuit City, Ashley Furniture, or a supermarket. Another possibility could be a higher-end restaurant chain (todd, I know you and I would be for that! :D ).

I guess this could be done, since the old WalMart encompasses the entire right half of the shopping complex. West Ashley also needs a Kohls. If Kohls demolished the building, we might see two tenants...Kohls and something like a Circuit City, Ashley Furniture, or a supermarket. Another possibility could be a higher-end restaurant chain (todd, I know you and I would be for that! :D ).

How did you guess that I'd be for a restaurant??!! I certainly do hope that an announcement will be made soon about this shopping center & the Wal-Mart space. Unfortunately the shopping center (Ashley Crossing) has lost another tenant - the Baskin Robbins. Uggh! Virtually all of the smaller shops between the old Wal-Mart space and Food Lion have also folded.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone noticed that the exterior of the old Wal-Mart was recently completely painted a beige color?? It still has a large "Space Available" sign on the front of it though and is listed as being available on the Wal-Mart Realty website. Developers Diversified Realty, the management company for the Ashley Crossing shopping center, states on their website that they have plans to remake the entire shopping center with new store facades, a redesigned parking lot and plans to subdivide the old Wal-Mart building into smaller stores. There really aren't too many stores left in the shopping center since Wal-Mart moved. The parking lot is definitely VERY difficult to navigate - at least the shopping center's owner has plans to address that. Hopefully they can attract some new tenants here.

^ Unfortunately, that's what usually happens when the main anchor leaves. Where did the Baskin Robbins end up relocating? How about the McDonald's and the Chick-fil-A...are they still doing well? I haven't actually checked the area out lately sicne I've been working on my residency. I'll be sure to do that the next time I'm down there.

• 3 months later...

The website for the shopping center's owner (Developers Diversified Realty) states that they plan a complete overhaul of the center with new store facades and have plans to break up the Wal-Mart into smaller stores. It also states that they plan to reconfigure the parking lot to better accomodate traffic flow. So far it doesn't look like much is happening. I thought certainly we'd see some retailers who lack a West Ashley presence vying to take over at least portions of the Wal-Mart space. Hello Kohl's???!!! And heaven forbid if we EVER got a craft store.........

This type of action to deal with abandoned walmarts has worked pretty well in Spartanburg. They razed one walmart entirely, and the other is half filled with another store (though the other half has been empty for some time).

• 3 years later...

Has anyone heard of any plans for the vacant Wal-Mart building in Ashley Crossing in West Ashley? Wal-Mart stated that they would announce a new tenant at the end of October but nothing was ever announced and the building still has "For Lease" signs on it. It would seem to be the perfect location and size for a Kohl's store.

It's nice to see that construction is now underway and it has been formally announced that Kohl's is indeed taking over 1/2 of the former Walmart space with a planned Fall 2011 opening. What everyone now wants to know is who's taking the other half. That portion is actually now under construction and it appears that it's a big box retailer. Something along the lines of a HomeGoods or a Michael's or A.C. Moore would certainly be welcomed.

• 4 months later...

It's nice to see that construction is now underway and it has been formally announced that Kohl's is indeed taking over 1/2 of the former Walmart space with a planned Fall 2011 opening. What everyone now wants to know is who's taking the other half. That portion is actually now under construction and it appears that it's a big box retailer. Something along the lines of a HomeGoods or a Michael's or A.C. Moore would certainly be welcomed.

Funny that Kohl's won't offically confirm that they are opening a store at the old Walmart space, though a Kohl's sign is being installed. As far as the other 1/2 of the old Walmart space, a HomeGoods would be great. I went in a HomeGoods for the first time a couple weeks ago and it's a nice store. I think they have a store in Columbia.

• 2 weeks later...

The Kohl's sign has been up for several weeks. It was there when I went to Bushido for a "farewell" lunch and attempted the #10 Spicy Tuna Hand Roll (I'll NEVER do that again)...that was at the end of May. I came straight home and told my wife about it (after hanging over the toilet for a few hours due to the #10). The whole Ashley Crossing shopping center is getting a bit of a face lift. With the construction on Paul Cantrell ending soon, that shopping center is primed and in a great location!

• 4 weeks later...

The Kohl's sign has been up for several weeks. It was there when I went to Bushido for a "farewell" lunch and attempted the #10 Spicy Tuna Hand Roll (I'll NEVER do that again)...that was at the end of May. I came straight home and told my wife about it (after hanging over the toilet for a few hours due to the #10). The whole Ashley Crossing shopping center is getting a bit of a face lift. With the construction on Paul Cantrell ending soon, that shopping center is primed and in a great location!

Kohls is close. Haven't heard a specific opening date, but all of their signage is up. I'd guess late August or early September.

As for it's neighbor, I've heard that a Marshall's Homestore will be locating there. If true, I suppose this means the store on Sam Ritt will be closing.

(Also, it looks like Bushido will be expanding into the space next-door.)

• 2 weeks later...

Kohls is close. Haven't heard a specific opening date, but all of their signage is up. I'd guess late August or early September.

As for it's neighbor, I've heard that a Marshall's Homestore will be locating there. If true, I suppose this means the store on Sam Ritt will be closing.

(Also, it looks like Bushido will be expanding into the space next-door.)

As reported in the P&C today, Kohls is hiring 130 employees for its new West Ashley location that will be opening in September. And Kohls is officially, and finally, announcing that its opening a location in that space.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/aug/01/new-kohls-hire-130-employees/

• 1 month later...

I guess I must have been able to see into the future or either Kohl's reads these pages since Kohl's in fact opening a store in this space. It's scheduled to open September 26, 2011. Glad that they recognized the potential in this area. Also surprisingly Marshalls is relocating their store from Sam Rittenberg Boulevard here as well. It's nice to see this center finally coming back to life. I hear that another great tenant is also checking out this shopping center so we can probably expect some more exciting announcements soon.

Archived