Photo thread idea

gs3

Was sitting with a group of friends tonight drinking and we had a brain storm (or maybe brain fart). We were talking about the Peacock. They know about UP. Here is our idea.

We pick one spot (vantage point) overlooking the Peacock construction site and EVERY Saturday morning, one person, standing in the SAME SPOT, at the SAME time, takes a photo. We create a thread with no words, just the one photo added each week. At the end of construction, we scroll through the thread and magically, the Peacock rises in front of our eyes. What do you guys think? Who's game to get into this? Obviously, no single one of us could take the photo each and every Saturday, so it would a shared project. Who's in?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was sitting with a group of friends tonight drinking and we had a brain storm (or maybe brain fart). We were talking about the Peacock. They know about UP. Here is our idea.

We pick one spot (vantage point) overlooking the Peacock construction site and EVERY Saturday morning, one person, standing in the SAME SPOT, at the SAME time, takes a photo. We create a thread with no words, just the one photo added each week. At the end of construction, we scroll through the thread and magically, the Peacock rises in front of our eyes. What do you guys think? Who's game to get into this? Obviously, no single one of us could take the photo each and every Saturday, so it would a shared project. Who's in?

It's a great idea. I'm not down that way enough to help out, but would love to see it done.

I did the same thing when we added onto our house, and have also done it with school construction projects with which I've been involved. If you can get the exact same point of reference, frame, etc. (which is quite tricky, BTW) then you could combine the images in a morphing movie, which is also pretty cool.

I'm in and out of town pretty frequently; however, I can contribute from time to time, as needed. Just keep me in the loop on PM regarding who's going to take the shot from week to week.

I would recommend a couple of things though:

1. That the size of the photo displayed to said thread be pretty uniform (1024 x 768, or something of the like)

2. That the vantage point be from the top of Spring Street Garage (if it's not obstructed by the bookends)

3. That it be a fairly wide-angle shot each time, capturing the space where the building will be, even if it's not there at the time the shot is taken

The Spring Street Garage wouldn't provide a great view until the building is nearly topped out. The Bookends obscures the view below. I personally would prefer a shot from the opposite (diagonally) corner of the McBee Avenue and Spring Street intersection - looking slightly up, to ensure we'd catch the top of the building once complete. Just an idea... ;)

I'm out of town alot during the week, but usually try to get back in on Friday evening. I can do Saturdays fairly often.

I thought we could scope out the spot before the construction begins. I was thinking of the Bookends deck as well.....is that view totally blocked? :dontknow:

As for the point of reference....how would one go about this? Have markings on the sidewalk? Use a tripod always at the same height and angle?

Dogs On Wheels you would be the man as you are always there, and just a block up.

It could make for a really cool photo thread. More thoughts on this? Many of you are the expert photographers. :thumbsup:

I'm out of town alot during the week, but usually try to get back in on Friday evening. I can do Saturdays fairly often.

I thought we could scope out the spot before the construction begins. I was thinking of the Bookends deck as well.....is that view totally blocked? :dontknow:

As for the point of reference....how would one go about this? Have markings on the sidewalk? Use a tripod always at the same height and angle?

Dogs On Wheels you would be the man as you are always there, and just a block up.

It could make for a really cool photo thread. More thoughts on this? Many of you are the expert photographers. :thumbsup:

OK, this is good.....A.M. from the corner. This will put the sun behind the camera. Will season changes have any effect?

I like your number 3 suggestion RT...."wide angle, capturing the space where the building will be even if it's not there". At the end, when we scroll through the photos, this will give the greatest impact.

I scoped this out Sunday morning and the corner of McBee and Spring is defintely the best spot. The lighting seemed right...it was around 8:30 AM.

From the rendering, I'm going under the assumption that the side of the building with the spire will front McBee? Is that correct?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived