Devine Street corridor

krazeeboi

Speaking of Devine, I think that corridor has shaped up quite nicely largely on its own, but I think it would be nice if the city invested some in it. Not really in the form of a full-fledged streetscaping (because I don't think it needs it), but maybe with some aesthetic improvements, including banner lightposts, the mast-arm traffic lights, etc. Or will the Five Points masterplan also include the Devine corridor?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Spartan. ;)

Devine has come into an identity all its own, so I think that should be recognized, hailed, and promoted; after all, it has been called Columbia's own "Rodeo Drive." It would be great to see it narrowed with wider sidewalks and planted medians as well, but as Spartan said, the traffic volume is a little too high for that. But investing in infrastructure and aesthetics on the part of the city should invite more private investment, which would be a great thing.

Thanks, Spartan. ;)

Devine has come into an identity all its own, so I think that should be recognized, hailed, and promoted; after all, it has been called Columbia's own "Rodeo Drive." It would be great to see it narrowed with wider sidewalks and planted medians as well, but as Spartan said, the traffic volume is a little too high for that. But investing in infrastructure and aesthetics on the part of the city should invite more private investment, which would be a great thing.

when i said widen i meant just the current lanes because they are fairly tight, and it might allow for better traffic flow. i would prefer it to become one lane, but i dont think one lane can handle the traffic that flows on that street. ;) i also think the sidewalks should be wider to increase the pedestrian friendliness of the are. and definately a midian with trees would be a great addition. :thumbsup: i think some trees that create a complete canopy would be nice. like the old oaks and willows that you see on those low country plantations. :shades:

I'm also disappointed that Storehouse filed bankruptcy. They're closing the entire chain because their parent company filed bankruptcy and then they couldn't find a buyer for the furniture stores. It's very disappointing. Maybe the Bohemian will expand their furniture line now...they have awesome furniture and accessories.

• 1 month later...

I went ahead the split the posts about Devine Street in the Lady Street thread to make it into its own thread.

I inquired about the Project Devine Street Landscape Improvements, and I was told that it is a tree planting project in connection with other streetscaping improvements that were made on Devine Street over the past year or so. These improvements involve enhanced crossing indicators and benches along the street. The trees should be planted during the months of January and February 2007.

I also inquired about new trash receptacles and the mast arm and pole stoplights and possibly new streetlamps and was told that new trash receptacles were already placed on Devine Street as part of this project. The project probably doesn't include any new streetlighting or traffic control equipment. The city's hope is that one day it will be able to conduct a full scale streetscaping project on Devine Street, but funds will not allow for that at this time.

I don't think a full-scale streetscaping is necessary at present either, but I do think there should be aesthetic improvements, including new lightposts with banner holders, that would indicate the Devine Street is a "destination street," or at least an extension of Five Points.

I dont know either. I know that I have said the same thing in the past. But it occured to me that I have seen this done sucecssfully else where... all you really need are turning lanes to keep the traffic moving.

Ultimately I don't think Devine will get very far unless they can find a way to widen the sidewalks. Perhaps leave it 4 lanes and change to parallel parking.

Archived