Annexation

nova72asu

In the Statesboro topic spartan, from SC, mentioned the annexation laws in SC and how screwed up they are.

So that brings me to post this topic. Here in Statesboro we have been dealing with annexation lately.

The GA legislation has made it extremly difficult to annex and for the GA Cities to grow in a way that can be managed.

Right now Statesboro is running into expanding without creating unicorporated islands (which can't be done in alot of states) that would be fine if it was easier to force annexation or to do involuntary annexation of already exisiting residential areas in the county.

We have the 100% method which works great if dealing with only a few property owner who want to develop a larger subdivision for example.

Then there is 60% method, then legislative annexation where the city has to take it to the state.

How are cities suppose to grow in a way that makes sense, prevents sprawl, and provides simple ways to provide services to those they do manage to annex.

What about existing commercial property in the county? Just some thoughts and questions.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im pretty sure Statesboro tries to stick with the 100% Method where all the property owners, without creating an unincorporated island have to agree - which is why they are having so much trouble annexing the Bird Pond area. One of the property owners doesnt want to be annexed. As for the areas just outside of Statesboro which are being developed quickly, the Bulloch County government takes it upon itself to regulate these areas. While the county has fewer regulations, if you've ever been to a meeting, it almost seems like a city council meeting. These issues such as annexation, and planning and such make me wonder if consolidation is in the future for Statesboro/Bulloch.

Now before anyone starts to get crazy, think about it. Statesboro and Bulloch governments were getting nowhere prior to the late 80's, and were going against each other, almost competing for resources and the town area was dying. But suddenly the two realized they needed each other and began to merge slowly, first successfully opening then-called Ogeechee Technical Institute, and later Gateway Industrial Park. The "Statesboro-Bulloch County" Chamber of Commerce and the Development Authority of Bulloch County have been working in tandem ever since and even share a website and logo. This relationship has only been strengthened by the city-county relationship in providing recreation through the Statesboro-Bulloch County Parks and Recreation Department (managed by the county). Statesboro annexed the headlining 160-acre Mill Creek Regional Park, when Bulloch County realized that water costs for Splash In The Boro would cost 4-times as much if the county supplied the water. Not even an argument or discussion, Statesboro stands up to resolve the issue by annexing Mill Creek. I know Bulloch County is a mass of land, but we already have all these public agencies serving both the city and county such as SBCPRD, Bulloch County BOE (serves Statesboro and County), etc. Not to mention Statesboro's SPLOST that serves projects all around the county. While it may be a Bulloch County SPLOST (not sure), obviously nothing will pass if Statesboro doesnt want it. So all the people in Brooklet and Portal who dont like Statesboro, the city essentially approved their new schools, parks, greenways, etc.

I dont know, but its something Im starting to wonder about - Statesboro-Bulloch consolidated government. Statesboro voters already serve the best interests of the rest of the county - why not. Anyways, didnt mean to start a new topic, but annexation and planning work so closely in this area, it almost seems that Bulloch County is holding planning meetings to help manage Statesboro's sprawl.

As for the areas just outside of Statesboro which are being developed quickly, the Bulloch County government takes it upon itself to regulate these areas. While the county has fewer regulations, if you've ever been to a meeting, it almost seems like a city council meeting. These issues such as annexation, and planning and such make me wonder if consolidation is in the future for Statesboro/Bulloch.

Not to mention Statesboro's SPLOST that serves projects all around the county. While it may be a Bulloch County SPLOST (not sure), obviously nothing will pass if Statesboro doesnt want it.

The 100% method is certainly the easy way.

Bulloch County isn't taking it upon themselves to regulate outside of Statesboro...that IS there job as the county the regulate the zoning of areas not incorporated.

The county and city need to work more closely on projects say within a certain distance of the city limits...i dunno say a half mile or so...b/c if projects are approved in the county we are talking about water systems or septic systems and properties at that distance could have a chance of being annexed in the coming years....but i would doubt the city would want to take in a development with a water system or septic b/c the city would have to maintain it, and also the residents will not want it b/c they will pay more taxes and not be getting onto the city water system. they get fire protection regardless, i dunno what the police departments are like, the main bonus would be trash pick up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived