Orlando Entertaintments

sunshine

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was almost as good as the NYC production. I can't believe they pulled it off at the Bob Carr -- All 10 people in my party were impressed. It is a good show that will entertain everyone of any age... It IS a long show (3 hours) - and the Bob Carr was PACKED! During intermission the lobby area was so full and the lines for the restrooms were very long -- All the more reason we need that new PAC! Anyways, most of the weekend shows are sold out - the weekday shows still have some tickets. You should see it... A GREAT show!

I'm going tonight... I've seen it in NYC and it is an amazing production. I can not for the life of me figure out how they are going to stage this thing in the Bob Carr... It's one of the mostly complex shows with amazing sets and costumes (and tons of preformers)... It should be interesting!

The Carr is 4' shorter than any engagement so far, and I think I heard mention 2' something shorter than their stated minimums for bringing in the show. Obviously someone talked to someone to get it in here in the first place. Much tweaking was done because of the upstage problem, both by carps and lx. When they did the remodel for Phantom, they did it JUST so the Phantom deck would fit.

Most road houses have 14' more space upstage, allowing crossovers on the deck, (as well as automation world, etc). Now, one has to hit a doorway, go up a half flight of stairs, funnel past the pit stairwell, go down another half flight of stairs, and through another doorway. It's "fun" for quick change scenes where entrances are across stage from exits. Even more fun is to have to track awkward props cross stage quickly.

Folks who have seen the NY or other legs of either of the touring companies shouldn't notice a difference in the production value, except Heather Hedley isn't singing etc. But you won't get that, and haven't had that for a while in NY either. Unless you're the type to notice subtle continuity problems in movies like you can tell the shirt an actor wore in the first part of the scene was laundered for a couple of shots in the middle only to go back again showing that the whole scene was a composit of different days' shooting. Normal people who only ask why the General Lee on the TV show Dukes of Hazard was able to magically fix the dents in the front panels two seconds after watching them crunch jumping over some creek will be fine.

Another remodel completed first for Lion King was the women's restroom on level two just down from the upstairs bar. Soon the men's room over on house right will also be expanded. But it is a little difficult to justify enough toilets to allow an audience of 2100+ to be able to go all at once during intermission, not unless there is a major remodel of the audience space and a slight lessening of social mores and taboos to allow theatre seats to become dual-function.

Another remodel completed first for Lion King was the women's restroom on level two just down from the upstairs bar. Soon the men's room over on house right will also be expanded. But it is a little difficult to justify enough toilets to allow an audience of 2100+ to be able to go all at once during intermission, not unless there is a major remodel of the audience space and a slight lessening of social mores and taboos to allow theatre seats to become dual-function.

My friend played Scar, anyway, he said the show was down size, a lot of the stuff has to be cut. The enitre stage was built on top of the Bobb Carr's stage. The backstage is a nightmare with almost no room to go around.

Overall, the play was pretty good, but hate to see people go wacth the show in shorts and t-shirt. Too many kids and what's up with the coughing...

My friend played Scar, anyway, he said the show was down size, a lot of the stuff has to be cut. The enitre stage was built on top of the Bobb Carr's stage. The backstage is a nightmare with almost no room to go around.

Overall, the play was pretty good, but hate to see people go wacth the show in shorts and t-shirt. Too many kids and what's up with the coughing...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is great. We've lost a number of productions, even some supposedly set in Florida, about Floridians to other states. If Orlando can just attract talented writers who want to live here, instead of NY or LA, we could see some steady production going on at our souondstages.

Archived