• Roast Beef
    • Prime Rib
    • Vegetarian
    • Ham
    • Sausage
    • Lutefisk
    • A combination of two or more
    • Other

I thought this would be fun. It is Christmas time after all. Non-Christians please share your holiday dinner traditions as well!

My family celebrates the more English heritage on Christmas Eve with Prime Rib with Au jus, Yorkshire puddings, roasted parsnips, carrots, and onions, boiled potatoes, other relishes and we have rum-topped bread pudding for dessert.

On Christmas day, we celebrate the Swedish/Norwegian parts of the family (very typical for Minnesota) with ham and Swedish meatballs, lefse, church potatoes (diced potatoes baked with cream of celery soup, cheddar cheese, milk, cream, and spices), deviled eggs, fresh vegetables, and of course, Jell-O salad with marshmallows or mandarin oranges inside. We also have snicker salad sometimes and usually use these two things as the dessert.

We also do a lot of Christmas baking, making fudge, almond tea bread, Chex party mix, and my favorite: Peanutbutter/chocolate/marhsmallow-rice crispy bars.

We usually do the gift exchange on Christmas Eve with stockings, etc. on Christmas morning with a breakfast usually comprising of some sort of quiche. Now that my sister has a little one, they'll be bringing in the Santa Claus tradition again this year :) I think that's kind of fun.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowy, you're making me hungry!

For Chanukah we would usually have turkey and stuffing, potato latkes with applesauce or sour cream, baked carrots and a few other things. Unfortunately, my mom is elderly now so it's usually a dinner out as I don't have any other family in this neck of the woods.

Dried cod fish soaked in water for 4 days, then soaked in a lye/water solution for 4 days, then soaked in water again for 4 days before being steamed.

It ends up with a jelly-like texture. You usually eat it with lots of melted butter or mustard or a cream sauce.

It's not necessarily Norway's best contribution to American culture :)

At Christmas, we usually would have a ham and maybe a small turkey breast. Really, the feast was a lot like Thanksgivings as far as food on the table. There was a bigger emphasis on sweets, like Red Velvet Cake, fruit drop cookies, gingerbread, moravian cookies. Not to mention my dad was an egg nog "fiend." There was always an ample supply in the fridge from Thanksgiving til' New Years.

There was always a lot of baking; Friendship cakes, fruitcakes, candies, and chocolates. My favorite was divinity.

No wonder most of the U.S. is overweight, we can't get rid of the weight gain from Christmas! :lol:

At Christmas, we usually would have a ham and maybe a small turkey breast. Really, the feast was a lot like Thanksgivings as far as food on the table. There was a bigger emphasis on sweets, like Red Velvet Cake, fruit drop cookies, gingerbread, moravian cookies. Not to mention my dad was an egg nog "fiend." There was always an ample supply in the fridge from Thanksgiving til' New Years.

There was always a lot of baking; Friendship cakes, fruitcakes, candies, and chocolates. My favorite was divinity.

No wonder most of the U.S. is overweight, we can't get rid of the weight gain from Christmas! :lol:

Okey. Now that I will never Lutefisk..... :sick:

Dried cod fish soaked in water for 4 days, then soaked in a lye/water solution for 4 days, then soaked in water again for 4 days before being steamed.

It ends up with a jelly-like texture. You usually eat it with lots of melted butter or mustard or a cream sauce.

It's not necessarily Norway's best contribution to American culture :)

Christmas in Georgia is a lot of fun. Usually if the family meets at my dad's house we eat lot's of ham and German food mixed with soul food. Then we normally go outside, get drunk, and shoot guns in the woods (my dad lives in a little town about 30 miles from Augusta and no, I don't shoot guns--I don't even know how!!!). And yes, plenty of jokes are made about shooting yours truly, the Pillsbury, who seems to be the family liberal on all issues.

Usually on Christmas Eve I end up at Midnight Mass somewhere and then go home tired. This year is different. I'm heading to Mass about 4 o'clock and then I'm throwing a party. It's hard to enjoy Midnight Mass because you're packed in there like sardines, no one is friendly, and it's hot. Plus, it's like a runway show of the latest fashions in designer wear anyway. No thanks!! Plus, last year some guy tried to steal my seat next to my girlfriend because I had to go home and put out a candle that I left burning (yes, I live across the street from a church and yes I like candles and yes I have OCD wherein I imagine my house being burned down).

Oh yeah, here is a picture of where we celebrate; Christmas in Dixie at its finest:

redneckreindeer.gif

LOL at Christmas in Dixie. I don't call that redneck.. that's just creativity with items around the yard ;)

My family isn't quite like that. We always get real trees. This year the tree takes up a good 1/4 of the living room and the angel on top nearly touches the ceiling.. and we have 11 foot ceilings!

I also spent most of the weekend after Thanksgiving putting up icicle lights, so the house is lit up in splendor each night.

Unfortunately we don't have enough snow to put out the "Santa, please STOP at this house" sign... but we could get a big snowstorm later this week which would be perfect for Christmas.

My family goes nuts on Christmas Eve, with shrimp, scallops, calamari, stuffed shells, meatballs and eggplant, followed by every cookie imaginable, my favorite being pizzelles and almond butter cookies.

Christmas day we usually have a nice breakfast (typical eggs, bacon, coffee cake) and then a pretty large afternoon meal of antipasto, turkey, stuffing, lasagna, etc. Oh and lets not forget all the brandy and sambuca that gets drank...

Archived