Two new retail develpoments in Kingsport

smeagolsfree

Just thought I would pass this along for you guys. I was home a while back and forgot to post anything about these projects.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=3657839

http://www.riverbendcentre.net/Highlights.htm

It would be great if we had a contributer from Kingsport. Its hard to do from long distance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting..... thanks for posting this. This is the first I have heard. I must have missed it on the local news. Looks like thats a bad place though- looks like it would be a good park area? I did not read the details.

I did see the new update on the population in the metro area. Nearly 465,000 people in the metro area and still no buildings over 12 stories tall in the metro area. Can you tell I want a skyscraper here? LOL. I wonder if there are any other metro areas with 450K+ people without a skyscraper? :unsure:

Interesting..... thanks for posting this. This is the first I have heard. I must have missed it on the local news. Looks like thats a bad place though- looks like it would be a good park area? I did not read the details.

I did see the new update on the population in the metro area. Nearly 465,000 people in the metro area and still no buildings over 12 stories tall in the metro area. Can you tell I want a skyscraper here? LOL. I wonder if there are any other metro areas with 450K+ people without a skyscraper? :unsure:

Thanks Hank for that info..... I guess the Tri-Cities is so stretched out that there is still no need for skyscrapers. I guess we are lucky to have the few 11 story buildings that we have. :D

I do not even know how those came about. The three buildings that are 11 stories (maybe 10) are all apartments for the elderly. I really need to research how they came about this area- like who proposed them and was the demand that high for them. Here is the one in Bristol VA-

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=leisur...-bristol-va-usa

unsure of the year it was built.... sometime in the late 70s/early 80s I think.

The ones in Bristol TN-

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=edgemo...-bristol-tn-usa

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=fortsh...-bristol-tn-usa

They should have put all three together and made a 30 story. :D

Maybe if/when they build another, it will be.

I did a little looking and I could not find any metros over 450,000 without a single building at least 12 stories. I would not consider my research complete, so there still may be another one. There are some cities in other countries with populations exceeding well over 1,000,000 that have no high rises.

Another Tennessee city severely lacking in highrises is Clarksville. Clarksville's current city population is 112,878, easily making it the fifth largest in Tennessee. It's metro population is 243,665. The tallest building in the entire metro Clarksville area is only 7 stories.

I did a little looking and I could not find any metros over 450,000 without a single building at least 12 stories. I would not consider my research complete, so there still may be another one. There are some cities in other countries with populations exceeding well over 1,000,000 that have no high rises.

Another Tennessee city severely lacking in highrises is Clarksville. Clarksville's current city population is 112,878, easily making it the fifth largest in Tennessee. It's metro population is 243,665. The tallest building in the entire metro Clarksville area is only 7 stories.

Thats why I think that the Tri-Cities should build from the center and make it one big city. :D

I think it probably just has to do with the fact that unlike most other metros of a similar size, like Lexington, KY, the Tri-Cities metro is centered around three small cities and their surrounding towns, whereas a place like metro Lexington is comprised of one major central city in which most economical, cultural, medical, residential etc. ventures can be concentrated.

Yeah- Bristol is finally getting a Target, Best Buy, Books-a-Million, etc. Bristol has often always been behind JC and KPT it seems, especially with restaurants, but that all changed when Super Wal-mart and Lowes were built at exit 7 I-81 in Bristol VA in 1993-94. It has flourished and flourished over the years. Now we have more restaurants that Kingsport or Johnson City, but still lacked in retailers. Now we have TWO Super Wal-Marts (one in Bristol TN on Volunteer Parkway), all of those restaurants at exit 7. Just at the end of November the new Cracker Barrel and now the Target, Best Buy, etc. Also a recent opening of Home Depot. Now the Tennessee side is flourishing near the new Super Wal-Mart, but not as fast as hoped I do not believe, despite being only about 2 miles from Bristol Motor Speedway. They are building all of those 7-10 story condos down there though, as well as some other things. I need to get down there for some updated photos.

Archived