New Arts Center of the Ozarks "on the boards"

masons_dad1

[Rumour Alert!]

One of my favorite architects has renders of a new Arts Center of the Ozarks in Springdale, presumably to replace the existing Arts Center. I won't post the renders I have due to possible copyright infringement, but I'll describe the architecture as nothing short of amazing. It will be a 2-3 story odd-shaped structure with lots of glass and sharp angles. So that's a $50 Million Ballpark and a multi-million dollar Arts Center coming to Springdale and still not a single million dollar condo to be seen. :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, since I recall a number of people slamming the current arts center when I posted pics of it. I still think it's a nice arts center despite the 'look' of it. But I am curious to see this new possible arts center. I wonder where they'll build it at. Will they leave downtown and go to the west part of the city where all the activity is? Someone please post some links when you get the chance. :D

Yeah Springdale seems to focus a lot more on local and regional artwork. They usually have a number of events a year for different age groups for the region. Something I should look into because I've seen local photos displayed before. The WAC certainly seems to have a lot more international exhibits.

Yeah Springdale seems to focus a lot more on local and regional artwork. They usually have a number of events a year for different age groups for the region. Something I should look into because I've seen local photos displayed before. The WAC certainly seems to have a lot more international exhibits.

I think the WAC needs to be in Fayetteville because of UA.

However, I think it makes more sense to tie in any other developments to Crystal Bridges, perhaps with a site nearby that is easily walkable creating an "arts district". I fear this is more of the "keeping up with Joneses" attitude among the NWA cities instead of sharing resources. I don't know how many people would visit the arts center in Springdale with these others existing.

I think the WAC needs to be in Fayetteville because of UA.

However, I think it makes more sense to tie in any other developments to Crystal Bridges, perhaps with a site nearby that is easily walkable creating an "arts district". I fear this is more of the "keeping up with Joneses" attitude among the NWA cities instead of sharing resources. I don't know how many people would visit the arts center in Springdale with these others existing.

The WAC is looking to expand with possibly a new location or a second location. A few months ago I was in a presentation where a representative of WAC said that a study was being done on a new location and that it might or might not be in Fayetteville. I would not be surprised to see the Walton Foundation give money to get a facility in Bentonville.

The Bentonville facility has been on the boards for a few years. I think what has delayed it was the possible Benton County Arts Center proposed for Bella Vista. I'm pretty sure that plan has failed, but that a Benton County Arts Center is still on the boards somewhere in the county.

The Bentonville facility has been on the boards for a few years. I think what has delayed it was the possible Benton County Arts Center proposed for Bella Vista. I'm pretty sure that plan has failed, but that a Benton County Arts Center is still on the boards somewhere in the county.

I would hate to see something like the Rogers Little Theatre close b/c of something like this. Hopefully within 5 or whenever the population can support an arts center, Bentonville or Rogers will build a regional arts center inside a downtown. I think Bentonville has expressed interest in this in their Downtown Plan.

List of existing arts centers in NWA:

Walton Arts Center - Fayetteville

Arts Center of the Ozarks - Springdale

Rogers Little Theater - Rogers

THE Auditorium - Eureka Springs

Sager Creek Arts Center - Siloam Springs

A nice spread of arts centers in NWA with WAC being the highlight of arts in NWA. As you can see Bentonville is, literally, the only major city in NWA without an arts center. Even Bella Vista has Riordan Hall to fulfill some of their arts needs, but it's not a "real" arts center.

Don't forget Alma Performing Arts Center. And it's not like Arend. Trust me I know.

Ozark Stageworks is just one arts organization in a long line of regional arts that have faltered at the expense of the buildings. Although the venues are initially funded by private money, operating expenses are largely supported by the Arkansas Arts Council. Too many buildings reduces the amount distributed to the organizations. We'll have a lot of places for performances but we'll have to send arts money outside Arkansas to bring arts to the spaces.

• 2 weeks later...
WAC is under no threat of ever leaving Fayetteville. The Arts Center of the Ozarks is celebrating it's 40th season. It was built a full 20 years before WAC. ACO may not get the big Broadway shows that WAC does but this season's lineup include Lerner & Loewe's Camelot, Robert Harling's Steel Magnolias, Agatha Christie's The Unexpected Guest, Larry Shue's The Nerd and some popular children's plays. It's priced right at $18 for major shows and $10 for children's shows. Shows can be upgraded to a dinner show for $18 more. I think ACO is perfect for the more lower-income friendly Springdale and has no real competition from WAC or Crystal Bridges. The oldest "museum" in NWA, The Shiloh Museum of Ozark History, is also in Springdale. So I wonder who's "keeping up with the Joneses" because Springdale also has the Jones Center for Families, with the regions only ice rink and a multitude of recreational and educational facilities all free to the community. Just some things to make you go hmmm. :D

Here are renders for the proposed remodel of the Arts Center of the Ozarks:

325753496_060bfc4f72_o.jpg

325753498_d4d0c073e2_o.jpg

325753820_730a9822c9_o.jpg

This art center will stay in Springdale, that I'm sure. The city government prides the Arts Center as one of the focal cultural aspects of the city. I myself would hate to see this leave Springdale. My guess is that they are going to try and build this somewhere near the Baseball park. The landscape looks about the same, and it would be more accessable to more people.

Archived