Suntrust Plaza and other news...

doormanpoet

It is on the 5th floor now topping out at 13 with a 14th floor roofcap. Check it out if you can. There will be mens and womens clothing stores on the first floor as well as a major resturant on the 5th and Commerce side.

The West End is topping out.

The Renassiance renovations are progressing well. The front drive and lobby will be started in March, about the time Suntrust Plaza is topping out.

The 12 story suites tower will be added to the top of the convention center once Mr. Marriott and Mayor Purcell agree on terms once the new convention center is built. If the city sells the convention center to Marriott and the new Renaissance owners, the Highland Group, the tower should be finished by 2012 or 2013.

The Hampton Suites on 4th avenue is topped out and there will be a surface parking lot across the street behind the hall of fame. The rest of the now buldozed property will be the Gateway Blvd. extention to 8th avenue.

Adelicia is now on the residential floors so the building should come straight up now.

The 7 story condo project on 18th avenue is up to the third floor.

The Federal Couthouse according to GSA.cov is still in the design phase.

The Gymnasium for Hume Fogg is still in the design phase as well.

DP

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the updates. That information about Marriott comes as quite a surprise to me. I had no idea there were plans to build on top of the existing convention center. I'm sure the existing roof would be totally inadequate to support such a structure. It would be interesting to find out how they would plan to do such a thing.

Something else I noticed. I am not sure what development this is, as I haven't been back down there since last week and it was dark, so I didnt get to see the sign. There is a new building being built over on 8th south, just past the antique district right before 8th turns into Franklin Pike. I will go take pictures today and hunt down more info. If you know something let us know too.

The Hampton Suites on 4th avenue is topped out and there will be a surface parking lot across the street behind the hall of fame. The rest of the now buldozed property will be the Gateway Blvd. extention to 8th avenue.

Why a parking lot across the street on this. The Hampton built an underground parking garage and they will have land wrapping around it as well???? I thought this land was owned by a CO company speicliazing in Hotels. Last word I heard on this land was that it was being cleared to be developed as a hotel once the convention center got approval.

BBS Tower slated to start in June or July. So for groundbreaking in 2007 we have Signature, Terrazzo, Westin, BBS, The Sounds/Struever Project, Rythmn Lofts, and the Sliver Building.

Topping out and opening in 2007 we have Suntrust Plaza Opening, Adelicia Opening, Encore Topping out in July, The West End Opening, and the The Hampton opening.

BBS Tower slated to start in June or July. So for groundbreaking in 2007 we have Signature, Terrazzo, Westin, BBS, The Sounds/Struever Project, Rythmn Lofts, and the Sliver Building.

Topping out and opening in 2007 we have Suntrust Plaza Opening, Adelicia Opening, Encore Topping out in July, The West End Opening, and the The Hampton opening.

Because it's unlikely to ever be anything other than a parking lot. Whatever challenges Crosland faces making the numbers work on Terrazzo will be tenfold on this small, triangular, very inefficient site. When they announced that silly project I assumed they either didn't yet realize it wouldn't pencil out or that they were just being proactive in countering anticipated concerns of their Terrazzo buyers (about what it would or wouldn't be).

Once they figure out it doesn't make sense as a stand-alone high-end development I hope they'll use the site as a park or maybe to showcase public art.

Drove by Terrazo yesterday morning. There was a guy with a pickup truck and a hammer removing all the billboards that they their "coming soon" and renderings on (for those who had not seen the signs they fenced off almost a whole side of the property.) ... He had a massive pile of wood ready to be haulded away. Looks like "ad time" is over and it's time to turn some dirt.

For those interested in other DT news. I was taking my daily trip to starbucks early last week (the one off of church and 5th) and there was a team of guys surveying the Sig Tower sight.

In other news...

Suntrust is coming along very well. We all heard it was going to be a massive floor plan but you don't fully grasp the size of the project till you visit the site......HUGE

I make a daily trip downtown as my wife and I carpool to work. I drop her off at at the "Batman Building" (which by the way has great views of the skyline and cranes around the city, and I have still yet to see Batman wandering the floors) and then I head down Fourth so I end up driving by Suntrust, Encore, and Hampton Hotel. They are all coming along great. The Hampton is moving fast now that it has been topped off. I am excited about the new projects to come in 07. SoBro should be booming.

Sliver Building News:

The odd shaped Crossland Property at 8th and Division in the Gulch where construction of the so called sliver building (16 floor condo) is rumored, was being cleared this am. The existing building was being demolished.

May not mean anything, but it's been a slow week.

I got back to Jacksonville last night from visiting family in the ville for X-mas. Downtown and West End are moving along very nicely. A great view of many of the cranes is at sunset crossing the Cumberland River on the Silliman Evans(I-24) Bridge because the sun backlights the city, very pretty, until you get an eyeful of the scr4ap metal yard, yuck. Can't wait to come back to Nashville in the late spring in May, it will be very interesting to see what happens. Yall keep posting pics, I love seeing progress. Happy New Year to all posters on here. :shades::thumbsup:

Sliver Building News:

The odd shaped Crossland Property at 8th and Division in the Gulch where construction of the so called sliver building (16 floor condo) is rumored, was being cleared this am. The existing building was being demolished.

May not mean anything, but it's been a slow week.

Archived