Suntrust Plaza and other news...

doormanpoet

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is a summer article from the Charlotte Bus Journal: http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-article-a...shville_tower-i

I recall a few similar quotes from Mr. Barkley in the Nashville papers. Again, I think it was intended more for the consumption of prospective Terrazo buyers (What will happen to Madame X?) than anything else. They ultimately closed on the purchase of this property earlier in the year though. At $700k plus it was quite cheap by high-rise condo development standards but if the site inefficiencies and density limitations prevent a viable project there it may prove to be one of the most imprudent land buys of 2006. Earlier in the year Barkley also committed Crosland to another expensive smallish site at Division and Laurel. And I hear he is currently trying to buy other sites over in the Charlotte Avenue area.

At some point he'd better get a shovel in the ground on Terrazzo as I'm sure his Charlotte boss' patience won't last forever. Interesting to see that despite the construction inactivity and an already healthy Nashville roster Crosland recently added a vp to this office. The guy seemed quite accomplished and is an old associate of the Crosland CEO from his Disney days. This may be a way for the home office to get a better sense of what is going on in Nashville.

Drove by the Terrazzo sight again today and new activity... I reported a day or so ago that there was a guy removing the plywood signs over at the site..... This morning there was a new crew puting up what appeared to be aluminum backing for new signs. This activity was on both sides of the street. My guess is they are keeping up with their neighbors (the Icon) who have a very nice Gultch rendering with their building in it. Now if they can only turn some dirt.

I just made a post on this a few days back. Eakin said the new development will be mixed use and 3 times the size of the Suntrust Plaza. Wow is all I can say, that will be an enourmous project and will bring life to the area. This thing is big time.

It appears that The Adelicia is finally past the parking garage and rising. Look at their web page and look at construction progress image for December. You can barely see a section rising above anything else with nothing else around it, on the rise now.

Without a doubt, it should about the same height as the Encore crane. They are going to hydraulicly raise it by the end of the month to full heigth, but they are going to have to do it on a day with virtually no wind, due to the fact if a small gust hits it while the hydraulics are the only thing supporting it, it could send it tumbling onto the garages across the street, US Bank Tower, or the Bellsouth Towers base, or worse, the Ryman or convention center. It is the single most dangerous part of high rise construction. Whoo, imagine Signature, if that thing toppled, oh damn.

The article also stated that class A office vacancy in Nashville is 10% with only 8% downtown. Is that news to anybody besides me? If true, that's tremendously good news for the future built environment in ye fair city of Nashvegas. Brentwood and Coolsprings can suck it.

The article also stated that class A office vacancy in Nashville is 10% with only 8% downtown. Is that news to anybody besides me? If true, that's tremendously good news for the future built environment in ye fair city of Nashvegas. Brentwood and Coolsprings can suck it.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the crane assembly for a few minutes today. Always fascinating.

That's really good news about Panera. Besides having just a great place to eat, something like that will add color and robust activity to the street. In a broader sense, this could be a catalyst to many more things coming online in the future. Large corporate concerns are what it's going to take to bring Nashville or any large city into the 24/7 realm we all seem to want. No matter how romantic the concept, the small privately owned establishments can't do it on their own. With corporate giants like Panera locating on one of downtown's busiest corners, volumes will be spoken. The positive effect will be a healthier core which hopefully will translate into many of the older, smaller structures being able to exist. This is a tightrope and Panera just tightened it a bit and better balance is ahead. It may be me, but when I see a downtown snag something that you typically see in big suburban centers and put an urban twist on it, I'm impressed.

I recall a tour of the Kress Bldg. and even during the early days of construction, the guide told me Panera was looking at space in that building. Obviously, they found a better site. Nashville is about to become a very different place than any us have seen before.

• 1 month later...

Suntrust Update....

Was at the site today and saw that they were starting to construct the exterior surface on the bottom floors. They got some windows in as well.

I am surprised and pleased. From the renders I thought the bottom brown exterior would be more along the lines of a brick texture finish / look. Turns out it is like the dark exterior of the BellSouth building, Granite I believe, but Suntrust is a little darker.

Suntrust Update....

Was at the site today and saw that they were starting to construct the exterior surface on the bottom floors. They got some windows in as well.

I am surprised and pleased. From the renders I thought the bottom brown exterior would be more along the lines of a brick texture finish / look. Turns out it is like the dark exterior of the BellSouth building, Granite I believe, but Suntrust is a little darker.

Archived