What local independent retailer have you supported lately?

dubone

hopefully HECK YEAH will be more successful in their new digs on camden/tryon. i tried to become a patron 3 times when they were on n. davidson. twice on my way to work (8:30ish) and once in the mid-afternoon... for some reason they were not open, but, the following week - same day, same time - they would be open. i jokingly started referring to them as HECK NO. first rule in opening a business is consistent hours of operation....

i do wish them well and i'm sure being in a location with other great entrepreneurs will be beneficial.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hopefully HECK YEAH will be more successful in their new digs on camden/tryon. i tried to become a patron 3 times when they were on n. davidson. twice on my way to work (8:30ish) and once in the mid-afternoon... for some reason they were not open, but, the following week - same day, same time - they would be open. i jokingly started referring to them as HECK NO. first rule in opening a business is consistent hours of operation....

i do wish them well and i'm sure being in a location with other great entrepreneurs will be beneficial.

I buy my running shoes & gear at Run-for-your-life. Local running stores tend to charge more, but without them the local running scene would suffer. They sponsor races, volunteer time and provide training/team activities for local runners. Stay away from the big box "sports" stores; they're nothing more than clothes outlets.

Another one for Frank and Peg's Fish & Pet store. I highly recommend it if you keep fish. They are much more knowledgeable in my experience, and they were the ONLY local place I could find a product called Bio Spira (which is the best product for cycling a new fish tank). Most places I went to had never heard of it (including Pet Smart and Petco).

Unfortunately, I live in the University area and there seems to be a real dearth of non-chain stores up here.

When I lived off Park Road, I used to go to the Little Professor Book Store a lot, in Park Road Shopping Center. Is it still there? To be honest, I'm not 100% sure it was independent, but something in my memory tells me they were not part of a chain (like Borders, or Barnes & Noble).

When I lived off Park Road, I used to go to the Little Professor Book Store a lot, in Park Road Shopping Center. Is it still there? To be honest, I'm not 100% sure it was independent, but something in my memory tells me they were not part of a chain (like Borders, or Barnes & Noble).

I make a point of going to BerryBrook Farm on East several times a week. They have great organic sandwiches, veggieburgers and tofudogs, awesome smoothies :P and affordable prices. I know they have been around since the 70s and have a loyal following but they still need all the help they can get. On nice days it's hard to get off their porch swings :yahoo:

• 2 months later...
Another one for Frank and Peg's Fish & Pet store. I highly recommend it if you keep fish. They are much more knowledgeable in my experience, and they were the ONLY local place I could find a product called Bio Spira (which is the best product for cycling a new fish tank). Most places I went to had never heard of it (including Pet Smart and Petco).

let's see ... I am ALWAYS looking at and trying to find ways to frequent our local shops, esp in Uptown as a 4W homeowner myself ....

Tic Toc -- good stuff and they are so amiable there.

Sub One Hoagie Shop in Fourth Ward Plaza.... Mr Jones and his family are such nice people, and this is one of the greatest "sleeper" sandwich places in Charlotte (and where else can you get a Philly Cheese steak for $3.25 ???)

Reid's (of course!)

Emerson Joseph -- Jim Donnelly is a super guy, and I have stopped in there before just for a shave and a shoeshine on the morning before a big meeting!

Smelly Cat coffee shop

Archived