Frank Pepe's Pizza from New Haven's Wooster Square to expand

ctman987

Frank Pepe's Pizza from New Haven's Wooster Square neighborhood will be opening up a third restaurant by Buckland Hills. They have a second location in Fairfield. Quite honestly it is sad that a place that is such a vivid and crucial piece of New Haven history has decided to expand into Hartford at one of the northeasts largest shopping areas....I think Pepe's would have been great for Hartford personally (and i mean the city of Hartford) but thats just me....

They will be moving into a space in the newly renovated Lazy Boy plaza near the main mall complex

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

frank pepe in new haven is a top 3 pizza joint in the country, highly recommend checking it out. if the line is to long, check out sally's, or ernies across town. modern apizza is great as well. soooo many great pizza places in new haven. hartford lacks great pizza such as new haven. that said, i doubt the pizza at manchester Pepe's will be the same. the ovens in the new haven location are over 80 years old, providing a 'seasoning' you don't get from a brand new oven. i just may have to find out.

frank pepe in new haven is a top 3 pizza joint in the country, highly recommend checking it out. if the line is to long, check out sally's, or ernies across town. modern apizza is great as well. soooo many great pizza places in new haven. hartford lacks great pizza such as new haven. that said, i doubt the pizza at manchester Pepe's will be the same. the ovens in the new haven location are over 80 years old, providing a 'seasoning' you don't get from a brand new oven. i just may have to find out.

I drove by the lazyboy plaza today where this pizzeria is going...

The location is good due to its proximity to the mall, but what a terrible spot.

It is at a high speed curve on buckland hills drive...a streeet that no one wants to walk across from the mall and there are no crosswalks..

Hmmm...

Where is the La-z-Boy plaza? I guess it is where Babies R Us and Sleepy's is? On that street, starting from McDonalds's there is Raymond & Flanngen/DSW (across the street Ethan Allen), Christmas Tree Shops/Guitar Center (across the street - Leslie's Pool Supplies- and Bernies), then an office building (the old HQ of Pioneer Parachutes), then Babies R Us/Thomasville/Sleepy's, then Outback/Marshal's/Bob's/Circuit City/Hometown Buffet (on the Christmas Tree Plaza Side), a courtyard hotel, then Media Play/Better Bedding/ Macroni Grill, Wal*Mart, Red Robin and the Mall with Hops and HomeDepot and Lowe's finishing the street at Buckland IIRC.

I might be wrong about some stores...

JimS

Theo is right Jim, it is WAY further up that road, almost under the giant water tower, tucked into some trees. It is the only plaza around it, and it isnt even really a plaza, its dinky. It is in plain view of Barnes n Noble and Vinny T's, not quite as far as target.

Pepes on Broad street still does a good business, the bar gets pretty crowded on the weekends

Isn't it up on the hill between Target and the apartments (near where the water tower is?). I wonder what will happen to the Pepe's Restaurant near the Parkade? Could be some naming issues. They're not related. That's a pretty good place, but Frank Pepe is better. Anyone been to their first offshoot restaurant? As good as New Haven?

I think Heartland is going to be a BJ's and a gas station.

Why was nothing ever built to the west of the Toys R Us / Bugaboo plaza across the street from JCPenney? Loooks like roads were put in long ago - contamination perhaps? Also, that pathetic gas station all painted in black next to McD's / Pizzeria Uno - whats the deal?

The old heartland plaza is under construction as a gaint BJ's, another fast food restaurant, another gas station, manchester discount liquors, and a few other store fronts.

Outlet Marketplace is in the old Caldors- actually a great store- go there.

Nothing in waldbaums.

The black gas station is a closed texaco I think.

I just dont think anything spread west over there yet, the development on the other side by evergreen is too prominent.

See the 2 new restaurants up by the movie theatre? Carrabas and some western steak house.

The steak house isnt open yet, and carrabas is only open 4-10 for dinner.

Also a new restaurant and bar INSIDE showcase cinemas

Nothing ever went in next to Joanne Fabrics/Bugaboo because right there is where the South Windsor/Manchester line is. The original road that was put in and completed (now used as an alternate exit to the plaza on the S.W. side) was built for the Movie Theaters that ultimately went on top of the cliff. The reason nothing has ever gone in is because no developer has been able to get past the South Windsor Planning & Zoning Commission. Back in the mid 90s they were close for the theater, which is why the entrance was built, but some snag was hit.

Another random piece of information is that where the bugaboo/Toys R Us plaza is, is originally where the Buckland Hills Mall was supposed to go. However, it his another snag because they were going to utilize space into South Windsor, and it was blocked by the P&Z Commission.

Jim- carabas opened next door to showcase cinemas.

They leveled the old rickels plaza and BJs will be its own giant store, and another building is next to it with 3 or 4 storefronts, manchester discount liquors is already open in there.

With evergreen walk and all of that opened on the S.Windsor side now, maybe some development will come in soon.

Tony's Pizza in Willimantic has had a long tradition and people in the area love it. I really don't like it all that much as I am not a big fan of Greek pizza which Willimantic is full of.

Middletown has some good pizza places, and nice Itailian delis. Gazepis I like the most with their tomato pie and only parmesan cheese on top.

Tony's Pizza in Willimantic has had a long tradition and people in the area love it. I really don't like it all that much as I am not a big fan of Greek pizza which Willimantic is full of.

Middletown has some good pizza places, and nice Itailian delis. Gazepis I like the most with their tomato pie and only parmesan cheese on top.

Archived