Future Memphis

watnow1425

From the pictures I took I outlined the buildings and colored them white. So I put the new buildings and two of my own in. Opinions welcomed

memphissky.jpg

Its hard to see the numbers but the numbers go from left to right 1,4,5,2,3

1. Trinity Tower

4. My First Tower 800-1100ft

5. My Second Tower 800-1100ft

2. Vue site 28-story building

3. One Beale

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatnow, I like the line drawing and think that you did a great job with those, but I may be a stick in the mud. I have a couple of problems with your dream. 1) I have been in skyscrapers during earth quakes and I can tell you that with the New Madrid fault, I do not think that buildings that tall would be at all safe. 2) I question why Memphis would need or want something that large. The city certainly does not have the need for buildings that large unless they just wanted to create the tallest building in the South. 3) What are you proposing that these be used for? Remember that costs jump as the height goes up. I am going that they would have to be mixed use. Another thought is to have the highest condo in the world. Currently, I think that that is held by Chicago.

It is fun and shows that you have talent and a good imagination.

I love the vision. What are the heights of building 4 & 5 as it is shown in the picture? They look over 1,000 ft.

That area between Trinity and 100 North M. screams development. Isn't that area Uptown? Could it be possible to see some 200ft-400ft towers in that area?

Whatnow, I like the line drawing and think that you did a great job with those, but I may be a stick in the mud. I have a couple of problems with your dream. 1) I have been in skyscrapers during earth quakes and I can tell you that with the New Madrid fault, I do not think that buildings that tall would be at all safe. 2) I question why Memphis would need or want something that large. The city certainly does not have the need for buildings that large unless they just wanted to create the tallest building in the South. 3) What are you proposing that these be used for? Remember that costs jump as the height goes up. I am going that they would have to be mixed use. Another thought is to have the highest condo in the world. Currently, I think that that is held by Chicago.

It is fun and shows that you have talent and a good imagination.

I'm a structural engineering major... and even though im not in the work force yet i do know enough to say that buildings that tall can be made safe. problem is, it costs money which is why they will never be constructed here.

case in point: look at all the high rises in japan.

the lateral forces buildings have to overcome during earthqaukes to stay in relative static equilibrium isnt the problem. The more flexible a building is, the better it stands during and earthqauke this prevents shear forces in the concrete from tearing it apart and flexible steel( ie 1020 or 1030: low carbon content steel) allow for more flexing before the steel passes its yield point. and also allows for a more predictable fracture point. a building with a wide enough base and flexible enough rising portion can take quite a strong earthqauke in the lateral sense.

the problem in memphis is liquifaction which adds a perpendicular force problem to maintain static equilbrium. that can also be solved by putting the building farther into the ground and making the perpendicular force columnes reach bedrock. once again: money money money is the problem. not the engineering

Glad that you like it so much. I think that if a 1000fter was to be proposed they would have already came up with the money or support that would help with the earthquake problem. I'm working on filling in those gaps right now. BTW, if anyone has ideas or suggestions please don't hold back.

Keep them coming watnow.. I like this thread because we could play around with potentials for DT Memphis.. Could it be possible to get a good skyline view of East Memphis. Those fictional skyscrapers would look there too.

I have a fantasy that pertains to the Pyramid. I like the indoor amusement park idea with two additional pyramids creating an "amusement campus" replicating this,7013.jpg, The Great Pyramids of Giza. The amusement park's signature ride would be called the Tomb. Of course the liveries would replicate Egyptian art. Its just a fantasy.

Watnow, could it be possible for you to put two more smaller pyramids by the Pyramid?

Keep them coming watnow.. I like this thread because we could play around with potentials for DT Memphis.. Could it be possible to get a good skyline view of East Memphis. Those fictional skyscrapers would look there too.

I have a fantasy that pertains to the Pyramid. I like the indoor amusement park idea with two additional pyramids creating an "amusement campus" replicating this,7013.jpg, The Great Pyramids of Giza. The amusement park's signature ride would be called the Tomb. Of course the liveries would replicate Egyptian art. Its just a fantasy.

Watnow, could it be possible for you to put two more smaller pyramids by the Pyramid?

Archived