Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

Annexation woes in Beaufort

9 posts in this topic

Seems as though there's a big backlash in Beaufort against the city's decision to annex a 4,200-acre plantation where 7,000 homes are planned

I don't want to see development that large either. I grew up in Beaufort during the summers with my grandparents. I LOVED the downtown, the waterfront park, the simple life, driving to Lady's Island and I hope it always stays like that. I would be against it too if I lived down there. I wouldn't have been as happy staying in a overcrowded place like a overcrowded commercialized place like Hilton Head or whatever

The thing is, Beaufort isn't going to remain small forever. I'd rather have a development this large within the city limits than not.

Yeah. If they are going to build it even if it isn't annexed minus well be better.

The article mentions that the land may be put under a Conservation easement, which would prevent development. The owners/mayor may be blowing smoke, but then again, maybe not.

I thought the article said only a portion of the land would be put under a conservation easement?

I agree that not being annexed would favor more development than annexation. The ideal situation would be to put most of the land in to a land trust, but still allow some of it to be developed.