Statesboro - Road construction

nova72asu

I decided to start this topic specifically for road construction news and updates, if anyone wants to add pictures thats cool with me.

now to begin with the first piece of news....

yesterday after turning left onto the bypass from Hwy 24 I noticed a construction trailer sitting on the right side of the Bypass right of way. I'm not for certain, but I assume this will be base of operations for finishing the Bypass in this section. Reason I assume its for that project is b/c I'm not aware of any of construction projects on that property or near that area.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yesterday after turning left onto the bypass from Hwy 24 I noticed a construction trailer sitting on the right side of the Bypass right of way. I'm not for certain, but I assume this will be base of operations for finishing the Bypass in this section. Reason I assume its for that project is b/c I'm not aware of any of construction projects on that property or near that area.

• 3 weeks later...

Its located somewhere and thats all that matters! I think its going to be very interesting seeing the construction area on a day to day basis encompassing the high-traffic areas for Statesboro (crossing Northside Drive, Brannen Street, Fair Road, Lanier Drive). Its going to make Statesboro look like its moving on up. Its probably going to remind me of Bonair, just south of Warner Robbins, when they were widening GA-96. Im excited!! FINALLY!!

• 2 weeks later...

BYPASS WIDENING DELAYED!

We all know that the bid was awarded to Douglas Asphalt out of Douglas, Ga in June of this year. Construction was supposed to have begun in September, but as can see, nothing has been done. The article explains how the DOT must follow a process when a contractor doesn't fulfill their duties. They're in the works of trying to get this figure out, but there's no set time of when construction will begin.

A few development projects have been but on hold until until the additional lanes and traffic lights are added. It's a hazard, due to the high amount of traffic along this stretch of the road.

Hopefully it won't be too long from now. :dontknow:

article: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/2035/

• 4 weeks later...

Savannah/ Northside intersection looks like is nearing completion.

The GDOT has been working removing the small grass median. The other day they were almost to the Savannah intersection, whic I believe would finish the median removal project.

I assume some lines or somthing still will need to be painted to discorage people from using the newly flat surface as a lane.

• 2 weeks later...
Savannah/ Northside intersection looks like is nearing completion.

The GDOT has been working removing the small grass median. The other day they were almost to the Savannah intersection, whic I believe would finish the median removal project.

I assume some lines or somthing still will need to be painted to discorage people from using the newly flat surface as a lane.

• 3 weeks later...

Savannah Avenue project to be completed by end of month

The Savannah Avenue/Northside Drive intersection project should be complete by the end of the month. However, a traffic signal won't be installed until the contract approved by City Council goes through the DOT, which could take as much as 3 months.

Phase two, which extends Savannah Avenue to Statesboro High School, has already begun. It will require about six months to complete that.

article: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/2750/

Savannah Avenue project to be completed by end of month

The Savannah Avenue/Northside Drive intersection project should be complete by the end of the month. However, a traffic signal won't be installed until the contract approved by City Council goes through the DOT, which could take as much as 3 months.

Phase two, which extends Savannah Avenue to Statesboro High School, has already begun. It will require about six months to complete that.

article: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/2750/

So why didn't the city engineer think about the traffic signal three months ago? I thought the idea for a project like this was to have the new signal installed at the time the intersection was complete. There are enough inattentive drivers around here now. How are they going to react to the new layout without a signal?

Oh my goodness - that is so dumb. I can imagine now all the accidents that are going to happen from people thinking, "wow, its done - so I guess that means I can just drive however I want and it is safe now so I wont get in a wreck" - Morgan's final remark humors me.

What??? no no no.

I'm not talking about a buffer wall, plus there is not any residential development there.

I'm talking about like 4 foot high sections of concrete that DOT links together to form walls. Usually for temporary purposes for routing traffic and protecting construction workers.

These particular sections are located between the outer, existing lanes of the bypass and the inner, pre-graded, Right-of-Way of the bypass.

Archived