Statesboro - Road construction

nova72asu

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bypass to be completed by November 1, 2008

Reeves Construction Company is the new contractor for the widening of Veterans Memorial Parkway. From what we all thought, the widening was from Highway 301 South to Highway 80. It seems now that it's more of Highway 301 South to Highway 301 North, completing the bypass (except the final phase - the northern portion, which won't happen for I imagine another decade).

People will see that we have number of things that are going to occur at the same time," Chicola said. "We are going to start at Old Register Road and work our way towards Highway 301 North preparing the subgrade. At the same time we will be putting in the culvert for the pedestrian crossing that is going to go under the Bypass near the location of Franklin Toyota."

I dont think the idea is for people to walk Statesboro to Brooklet. The idea of a greenway, is to have trailheads along the way like at neighborhoods etc, and people will travel a section of the greenway within whatever walking, running, biking distance they choose. It will be more of an outdoor activity and exercise than a means to get from one place to another.

As residential development occurs between Statesboro and Brooklet esspecially just south of HWY 80 along where the greenway will be, I think you will see the developments incorporating the greenway into their plans as a amenity.

They need to hurry and put the light up at Savannah Avenue.

I had to go to the paint store across from the car wash, and I had to go meet some family for lunch at Pizza Inn. After sitting there for a few minutes, I decided there wasn't anyway I was going to cross 80, so I decided to take Savannah Avenue and just go through downtown. When I went to turn onto Savannah Avenue, there were nearly 10 cars (with a few still coming) waiting to turn left onto Savannah Avenue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That area is low, so it was raised to avoid having standing water inside. The road will have an incline, which they have begun bringing in dirt for. I was told they will complete that section of the road, then divert traffic over there so the tunnel can be countinued where the current road is. The same thing will happen there with the road being raised a few feet, which means a significant amount of existing roadway will be rebuilt.

I don't really have a problem with a greenway from Statesboro to Brooklet, but am surprised no one seems to object to the amount of money that will have to be spent for it. I don't know for sure, but assume the tunnel work is being done as part of the bypass project and is being paid with state and federal money. The rest of the Statesboro to Brooklet trail is a county project, not city. I thought the county had money problems, but they have enough to pay for a trail through part of the city and for miles through the county. Of course, twenty years from it will probably be viewed as a project that showed great vision.

I don't think the county has started any work on the section from the new tunnel west. I think it is supposed to connect with GSU and the McTell Trail somehow. If it doesn't happen for a while, the tunnel could end up being a place for the homeless to live.

i think the university is going to build the portion of greenway through campus. i'm not sure how that connects into the wlly mctell trail and the statesboro/brooklet trail.

Part of the trail to the west would likely be constructed in conjunction with the Brannen Crossing development. The trail cuts through that development. the county may take the oportunity to construct that portion while construction of the BC development is taking place. But who knows how long that will be, BC development is still going through design phase developing construction and site plan drawings.

I know the trail is supposed to follow the old railroad bed road which intersects with gentilly near howards lumber. may the trail will come out of campus and follow gentilly north to the railroad bed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This was an article passed Saturday (I've been busy the past week). There wasn't a link on the internet, but here's an overview:

The city and county passed a joint resolution a few years back asking for the DOT to go ahead and determine a route for the northern arc for the Veterans Memorial Parkway (this was discussed in the Statesboro, GA thread a few months back). As of now, a route has been selected, but cannot be finalized until the environmental analysis has been completed.

I'm wondering if the DOT will go ahead and purchase the right of way now? The reason the resolution was passed was so developers would know where and where they couldn't build.

The environmental review will take a while. Only after that gets approved will GDOT offically designate the route. Then it will think about budgeting money to purchase right of way. Unless we elect a Bulloch countian as governor, I don't expect progress on that northern arc any faster than it has been so far.

If GDOT will at least designate the route, maybe the developers will be kind and stay off it. Unfortunately there is not a mechanism to prohibit them from developing anyway, unless the county wants to buy the right of way itself. We know that won't happen anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
This was an article passed Saturday (I've been busy the past week). There wasn't a link on the internet, but here's an overview:

The city and county passed a joint resolution a few years back asking for the DOT to go ahead and determine a route for the northern arc for the Veterans Memorial Parkway (this was discussed in the Statesboro, GA thread a few months back). As of now, a route has been selected, but cannot be finalized until the environmental analysis has been completed.

I'm wondering if the DOT will go ahead and purchase the right of way now? The reason the resolution was passed was so developers would know where and where they couldn't build.

I noticed that too when I read the article a few weeks ago. Im wondering the same thing since most of the new lanes are paved now. The only thing is they will have to tear up the existing lanes for the tunnel and they will probably redo any bridges on the current side of the bypass (cant think of any bridges tho). I know thats what they did with Hwy 25 North, just when everyone thought it was done, they opened up those lanes, and tore up to redo the existing lanes. I still think they can finish the bypass by November of this year if they get on the ball with that tunnel!

Well, once they switch everybody over, it shouldn't be too long.

They'll probally have half working on the tunnel. Everybody else will be tearing down the old intersections, building the new ones, and resurfacing/striping the existing lanes.

Archived