Statesboro - Road construction

nova72asu

House Approves 67 Widening

The House of Representatives has approved $350,000 for the widening of Hwy 67 from Interstate 16 to Veterens Memorial Parkway.

"Bulloch County is growing by leaps and bounds and it's important that the transportation infrastructure keeps pace. I drive on Highway 67 almost every time I visit Statesboro and I've sat behind enough slow moving trucks on that road to know that this widening project has been a long time coming." ~Congressman John Barrow (D-Savannah)

http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/4793/

• 2 months later...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I believe the tunnel for the greenway under the existing lanes near Franklin Toyota still has to be constructed. I don't know if I heard or assumed they would route traffic onto the new lanes, tear up the old road in that area, put the tunnel section in place, build up the road elevation on each side, and then pave. I thought the first tunnel took quite a while, but maybe if they concentrate their efforts on the second one it will be done by March 31.

They said November, but I don't see it taking that long.

Once they finish the new lanes, the big job is over with. They'll put some people working on the tunnel, while the rest works on the resurfacing and intersection improvements. I would think that it would take 2-3 months tops.

It will be interesting to see what traffic will be like when we switch, because it looks like there won't be any left-turn lanes.

• 1 month later...

Lines have been pained on the new lanes up to Brannen Street. Hopefully we're not too far from switching. :D

I hope that they aren't going to be tearing up the existing lanes. You see how long it took them to make the new lanes ready. It'll be another year before all 4 lanes are open. I thought they were just going to be resurfacing.

• 2 weeks later...

East Bypass traffic to be rerouted Wednesday

Expect some minor traffic delays on the east side of the Statesboro Bypass Wednesday as the Georgia Department of Transportation prepares to temporarily shift traffic onto the newly constructed lanes. Traffic lines were added to the new lanes just two weeks ago in anticipation of the move.

The bypass will continue to operate as a two-way, two-lane roadway, as crews prepare to complete the resurfacing and and striping of the existing lanes. In addition, they will complete the construction of the pedestrian tunnel going under the bypass south of Brannen Street near Franklin Toyota.

While there will be some minor delays, all intersections along the seven-mile stretch are expected to be fully operational.

Well, they switched the lanes tonight.

I was in town around 8:45 and it was pure chaos. Cops with their flashing lights at every intersection directing traffic, big lights with the crews, trucks everywhere, traffic cones by the hundreds, etc...

I can't believe we're almost at the end. A 14 year wait!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The northbound lanes of the East Bypass will open permanently on Wednesday, August 13th. The bypass is slated for completion sometime in November. There will only be one Southbound land until the highway is finished. At least we have one-half of this done. Im assuming that the crazy awkward traffic lights will go back to normal since traffic will be on the correct parts of the highway where the censors are located. At least I hope. Knowing Statesboro though... they will probably remain ridiculously long.

Yeah. This is probably the last road construction project we will have period for the next decade if our state leaders continue balancing the budget with education cuts and dipping into the reserves. We may see the widening of 67 from the Bypass to the Interstate next since some of the funding has been allocated by the feds.

Well, I traveled on it this afternoon, and it was quite nice. After driving on a 2 lane road for so long, it felt weird having so much room to drive on and not feeling so 'claustrophobic' (in a way).

I don't know if it was just the time I went (4:30) or what, but it was really busy. I don't know if it was curiosity or people who normally didn't travel the bypass due to the traffic.

Ive been driving on it every chance I get now... and it is a lot quicker than before (driving on the new lanes). However, traffic still gets backed up pretty far at most of the intersections particularly lanier drive. Still, it makes Statesboro feel a lot bigger with the parkway, in my opinion. I love the super-long turning lanes too - which are very needed particularly for football games and shopping holidays.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived