First Night Raleigh--is it just me?

...or does it seem to be missing something this year?

I looked at the schedule, and it seems a little bland this year. Mostly local acts, nothing really new or different. They usually have one really big performance of some sort--one year, they had a lady doing some really neat acrobatics--last year, they had a well-known juggler who juggled chainsaws and fire and stuff--but nothing like that this year. They had an interactive session of "Nia"--a sort of a blend of yoga, martial arts, and modern dance--but nothing like that this year. They even had a "flea circus" last year, but I don't see anything along those lines on the schedule. In fact, this year it seems like mostly a bunch of musicians (I'm not a humongous fan of live music) a poetry thing where anybody can get up and read a poem, TransActors (they usually have them every year) and some stuff that seems borderline cheap/cheesy (make your own pet rock, Rubiks cube challenge, dance contest, etc.). I don't even see as many roving performers on the schedule--last year they had fire performers and magicians and stuff on the streets. It just seems like the usual stuff, at a scaled-back level. I'd think with Fayetteville Street being open now, they'd be putting on quite the shebang.

This may sound mean, but if memory serves me correctly, the admission price has gone up, and for $12 I want to get MORE for my money--not less!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be my 12th New Years as a Raleigh resident....and I've yet to go to a First Night. Some years I'm invited to a party, others I'll go to my favorite nightclub(s). Either way, I'm almost always guarranteed to have more fun than anyone I know who's been to First Night instead. (Sad to say, really.)

My impression of first night is that it was mostly for families. Two or three years my friends and I, who all stay ITB for our drinking regardless of the holiday, would do a house party or two, race over to watch the acorn, then hit a bar or two for the last couple of hours. Most of the non-family people who stick to First Night as an event in an of itself seem to be driving in from OTB and do not hang out downtown on say a Tuesday night. I suppose this draws attention to the difference between downtown residents (whose good time is less dependant on planned events) and those seeking downtown as a 'destination' experience. Our leaders have been angling to make our downtown both of these things.

If you're going to drink, First Night is not for you by design. The first one was in Boston in 1976 for the bicentennial as a family friendly, community building alternative to the "Times Square" experience of loud, crazy people packed tightly together.

I had passed by first nights in years past, but never took part in any of the events until last year. The peoples' procession from the Capitol to Raleigh Memorial was pretty fun to see so many differnt groups coming together. This year it goes down F Street! The 8 pm acorn drop was full of kids who would be really cranky if they had to stay up till midnight.

There are plenty of activities and everything outside is *free*, no button required. The point of first night is to have *local talent and people coming together*. If you don't want that, don't go. Fun at First Night, like any party, is what you make it. A bad time can be had at any party if you don't take part in conversation or other activities. If you go in with the "I'm going to hate this" mindset, you will. If you're "too cool for school", First Night will suck.

For the drinking set, there are plenty of bars nearby more than happy to serve a drink or two.

I think First Night is fine. I went a couple of years ago and thought it was nice event for kids with arts, crafts, etc. We ate at Tir Na Nog, saw a couple of bands there at FN for free, saw the acorn drop, and went to drink at Greenshields (RIP) for no cover charge-one of the most inexpensive New Years Eves ever.

I think some of you MAY have missed what I'm saying...I'm not looking for a raucous, rip-roaring good time, or to drink myself silly. I've been attending "First Night Raleigh" for the past few years, and have had a wonderful time. THIS YEAR'S activities seem scaled-back, less imaginative and repetitive, where it hasn't been in previous years. There seem to be FEWER activities, and a lot of the same stuff as last year, where as in previous years they mixed things up and had new surprises. I'm wondering if there is any particular reason why.

I certainly don't mind local talent at all, but in previous years they have ONE big act from out of town they bring in, and many other different acts. Also, this year it seems to be mostly MUSICIANS only, where previously there may have been local dancers, jugglers, fire eaters, etc.

Also, it seems as if they're doing a lot of stuff on the cheap this year--for example, they have an activity where anybody can come in and read poems. *YAWN*

I certainly don't mind local talent at all, but in previous years they have ONE big act from out of town they bring in, and many other different acts. Also, this year it seems to be mostly MUSICIANS only, where previously there may have been local dancers, jugglers, fire eaters, etc.

Also, it seems as if they're doing a lot of stuff on the cheap this year--for example, they have an activity where anybody can come in and read poems. *YAWN*

First of all ncwebguy, I don't know how you can determine from a couple of posts if I'm well-rested or not and what I "need" to do. Second, most of that stuff YOU posted I already posted. The event does not seem to be the same from previous years in terms of activities or new stuff. And third, I don't EVER remember a poetry slam--and I've been attending for the past three years.

It seems as if missed my point entirely. I went to the FNR link, so I'm very aware of who's coming and what they have to offer. My point was--it is MY OPINION that this year's event is scaled-back from previous years. A lot of those acts are the same from last year. I don't quite understand your need to come in here and turn this into something negative. :wacko:

The people's procession was fun, though the pipe and drum band got away from the rest of the procession around the Morgan/Salisbury or Morgan/Fayetville intersections. Rhea, the giant puppet (slide 2) 's handelers had a hard time navigating the corners. We had the worst funnel cake ever (should have gone to a *trailer* not a *tent*) and watched the 7 pm acorn drop from the front of the Wake County Courthouse. Without a direct line of sight, it was hard to hear what they were saying at ground zero.

The rain dampened our mood to go back for the midnight drop. The rain stopped before midnight, so we were fortunate to see the fireworks from my front porch.

As for other posts...

"I certainly don't mind local talent at all, but in previous years they have ONE big act from out of town they bring in, and many other different acts."

This is *your* quote, and is negative. This isn't your "opinion", but misinformation posted as "fact". I posted the "ONE big act from out of town" that they brought in and the many other different acts.

Also, this year it seems to be mostly MUSICIANS only, where previously there may have been local dancers, jugglers, fire eaters, etc.

Again, your quote, posted as fact, not opinion. How anyone could anyone who "went to the FNR link, so I'm very aware of who's coming and what they have to offer" still claim it is "mostly MUSICIANS only"? The only conclusion I could come up with is that you may have missed some things. I posted them for *everyone* to see to keep people from being improperly misinformed about the variety of events.

*YAWN*

According to wikipedia:

A yawn (synonyms chasma, oscitation from the Latin verb oscitare, to open the mouth wide[1]) is a reflex of deep inhalation and exhalation associated with being tired, with a need to sleep, or from lack of stimulation.

By negative, I mean you came in here with little snarky, sarcastic comments when none were necessary. Again--I don't understand why you had to bring that vibe into what should have been a straightforward discussion about First Night. If you disagree, that's fine, but we can disagree without disagreeable. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean you have to have an attitude. I am going to respond to some of what you said (since you are accusing me of posting incorrect information):

This isn't your "opinion", but misinformation posted as "fact". I posted the "ONE big act from out of town" that they brought in and the many other different acts.

Archived