Recommendation Threads

Cotuit

New threads asking where to find a good tailor, massage, haircut... should not be created, those questions can, and should be asked in the Downcity/Providence Retail thread (which is the Retail in Downcity thread which I've just renamed). I've merged all other threads into that one, and will merge any new threads that are created (though no more should be created) into that one.

There's also some neighborhood specific threads (Federal Hill, Thayer/East Side) floating around in which those types of questions can be posed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New threads asking where to find a good tailor, massage, haircut... should not be created, those questions can, and should be asked in the Downcity/Providence Retail thread (which is the Retail in Downcity thread which I've just renamed). I've merged all other threads into that one, and will merge any new threads that are created (though no more should be created) into that one.

There's also some neighborhood specific threads (Federal Hill, Thayer/East Side) floating around in which those types of questions can be posed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

People can start threads, it's just these types that sort of skirt close to the edge or cross the edge of our policies regarding advertising. Specifically the fact that someone signed up just to advertise their shop in the haircut one.

People are encouraged to start as many threads as they want as long as they conform to the rules and are on topic for UrbanPlanet, which is a pretty broad array of topics. If the thread is not appropriate, I will close/delete it, and if it is a duplicate I will often eventually merge it.

Well, this is my point exactly. If people here were to do a little search/research, there would be no need to keep adding threads. It really annoys me. I like to keep everything neat and tiddy. Why start a new thread on every little thing happening downcity when there is already a downcity topic thread? I've seen more threads added in the last 6 weeks than the previous 6 months. It's ridiculous. It's called redundancy. Before I post something I'll search the forum for an hour or more. If I can't find an appropriate thread, I'll post in the closest available thread. New members are of course anxious to post messages here, which is understandable, but they must also learn how the RI forum is set up, and how to access the different threads. Forgive me. I'm an impatiant man. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is I'm not going to scare away new members by scolding them for starting a thread on something we discussed a year ago or more. If someone can find the link to the old thread and post it for them, great, if not we have a new thread, big whoop!

this discussion comes up on every forum i've ever belonged to... no need to rehash old threads, just do a search. yeah. that's easier said than done, especially here when search terms are limited to 4 or more letters (so i couldn't search the word gym for the gym recommendations once, and it's happened to me before as well).

i don't have a problem with new threads being created regarding stuff that's been discussed here before if the previous discussion was dead and buried several pages back. generally the new discussion will be with new people and new ideas and some old ones as well, probably linking to the old thread. either that or merge the new thread with the old one. but generally, i don't think it's awful if a new discussion about something that was discussed a year ago comes up again in a new thread.

however, there were a lot of new threads being created recently, mainly by newer members who didn't take the time to look back only 1 or 2 pages for exactly what they were posting.

• 4 months later...

i have a recommendation for a good pharmacy which i will tell you if you PM me. Here's the back story--i recently had surgery and was given a boatload of high end pain killers, which made me progressively sicker (reverse tolerance or something) so i called my doctor and got a new script, plus one for anti-nausea. The pharmacy filled it quickly and when i called in a refill for a daily medication i've been taking for years it came in a completely different packaging and delivery system. Instead of a regular pill that i take with water, it was the kind that dissolves on my tongue. When i asked why they changed it, they said that in light of the upset stomach, they thought i might prefer it.

how's that for service ? i can't even get my primary care doctor to check in with me over the past four months, but my pharmacy is taking great care of me!

Archived