The no theme, no reason, photo thread

janrey

Took these in St. Augstine this past weekend. Never saw a whiite peacock before. Had better shots lined up but idiot tourists walked right in front of me :angry: and then I had to leave because my "tourist" party was heading off in another direction.

DSC00097.JPG

DSC00098.JPG

DSC00085.JPG

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that sure is wild! I've never seen one of those white ones in person.

And the funny thing is how they posed for the cameras. There was one in the parking lot that was shy but the others inside the park (Fountain of Youth -- and the water tastes awful :sick: ) were into having their pictures taken. When they saw a camera they spread wing and turned towards it. If there were cameras all around they did a slow spin.

• 1 month later...

Took these in St. Augstine this past weekend. Never saw a whiite peacock before. Had better shots lined up but idiot tourists walked right in front of me :angry: and then I had to leave because my "tourist" party was heading off in another direction.

DSC00097.JPG

DSC00098.JPG

DSC00085.JPG

Whatever happened to the peacocks they used to have at the Greenville Zoo?

The Greenville Zoo oughta try to get some more peacocks, especially in light of today's announcement. :thumbsup:

Peacocks are loud mothers (or, fathers, I suppose).

Plus, the sound they make sounds eerily resembling those of someone in great physical pain pleading for their life.

Visually, peacocks are not so bad. But, to me, the sound is like every student and teacher in the Greenville County School District scraping their nails across a chalkboard.

Compare for yourselves:

A) Peacock Sound

B) Nails on a Chalkboard (scroll down alphabetical list to "chalkboard")

• 4 months later...

An article on Greenville that I snapped somewhere, sometime, in some bar or lounge:

DSC00239.jpg

A close-up from a different angle:

DSC00211.jpg

A sign of growth:

DSC00266.jpg

O-Cha at opening:

DSC00227.jpg

Yummy.......

DSC00299.jpg

A different view of Christ Church:

DSC00646.jpg

The mice:

DSC00303.jpg

From County Square:

DSC00618.jpg

Smoke break:

DSC00631.jpg

RT has taken a photo of this subject before:

DSC00302.jpg

Save the animals:

DSC00326.jpg

The mountains from 385:

DSC00485.jpg

Actually, after re-reading that thread, it appears you are only assuming it was a paid advertisement. Southern Living is not completely oblivious to what is happening in various regions around the South. Perhaps they printed special sections for those regions in order to help with sales? I know this has been done by other publications before. :unsure:

Not an assumption if you look at the "SCxx" page number at the bottom of the page and the "Special Advertising Section" at the top of the page for that entire supplement. I'm not sure about other publications, but this has been a common practice for Southern Living, Southern Living at Home, and related publications for several years now. It's no different from an advertisement in the Greenville News that is disguised as a news article and has the "Paid Advertisement" disclaimer printed at the top for all those who can't discern that the entire advertisement is in a completely different type style and size from the rest of the newspaper.

EDIT: But the place to debate this is really the original thread, not this nice new photo thread that gsupstate provided for us. :thumbsup:

That ornament is really great GvilleSC! I'd like to see someone in Greenville sell more of these kinds of items. Retail idea here guys!

When I lived in B'ham years ago, they had a city run "City Store" that sold all things Birmingham. Here is a photo of a paperweight I bought there years ago. I'd love to see Greenville have this type of store downtown....all things Greenville......Greenville Block t-shirts, wine from the local vineyards/wineries, Clemson blue cheese, etc, etc.

DSC00726.jpg

As I mentioned here last summer, I purchased a bottle of Greenville wine (not sure which vineyard) at The Cook's Station. I still haven't drunk it yet, and that is probably not good in this case - the "Urban Red Table Wine" isn't designed for aging! :lol:

I agree that a store that sells Greenville stuff (mugs, hats, books, shirts, novelties, wine, etc.) would be wonderful! Especially since tourism is quickly increasing here. It seems like the city could somehow give low rent to a retailer willing to open a Greenville store, and if they don't own an appropriate building then perhaps they could offer some incentives?

As I mentioned here last summer, I purchased a bottle of Greenville wine (not sure which vineyard) at The Cook's Station. I still haven't drunk it yet, and that is probably not good in this case - the "Urban Red Table Wine" isn't designed for aging! :lol:

I agree that a store that sells Greenville stuff (mugs, hats, books, shirts, novelties, wine, etc.) would be wonderful! Especially since tourism is quickly increasing here. It seems like the city could somehow give low rent to a retailer willing to open a Greenville store, and if they don't own an appropriate building then perhaps they could offer some incentives?

When I lived in B'ham years ago, they had a city run "City Store" that sold all things Birmingham. Here is a photo of a paperweight I bought there years ago. I'd love to see Greenville have this type of store downtown....all things Greenville......Greenville Block t-shirts, wine from the local vineyards/wineries, Clemson blue cheese, etc, etc.

When I lived in Orlando, there was a store at City Hall called "City Stuff," which sold things of this nature, as well as official street signs (if you for some reason wanted to add decor to your home that included a street sign from your favorite street or whatever), etc. Greenville could just about open such a store in the lobby area of City Hall. :thumbsup:

Archived