Infill properties

joeDowntown

I'll start. I have noticed small pockets of land downtown that are squeezed between two sections of road, or are otherwise odd-shaped and not big enough for large development (or even a good 'ole parking lot for that matter).

How would one go about finding out the specifics of these properties, who they are owned by (city or county road commission?), and if they are available for development. These properties aren't even parceled off as property so I would have no idea who I would ask or where I would start.

Also, because the pieces of property are sandwiched between two roads, is it likely that they are unavailable because of utilities? There are a few prime examples of these little parcels on North Division. (north and south of 196).

Joe

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How would one go about finding out the specifics of these properties, who they are owned by (city or county road commission?), and if they are available for development. These properties aren't even parceled off as property so I would have no idea who I would ask or where I would start.

Joe

The city of grand rapids' site is cool too because you can search by owner. It also includes a rough square footage calculation for any buildings. It does not have the cool 'Get Map' function that accesskent does though.

http://cityofgrandrapids.is.bsasoftware.com/

Click that link then click 'Assessing Parcel Search' on the left. Sometimes you'll find places owned by 'such and such LLC.' Look at the mailing address of the LLC (if its different from the property address) and then use the same procedure to figure out who the LLC is.

I guess if you're looking for parcel identification you should also know about REGIS.

http://ims.gvmc-regis.org/website/public/v...lic_Parcel_Find

If you don't know the address of a parcel you can use that site to zoom in on the property in question. When you have found it, click the 'Identify' button on the left and then click the parcel. It should show you the address. You can then use GR's assessing site or AccessKent to figure out who the owner is.

Not very Firefox friendly...

What I was looking at are areas that would seem to be no man's land; owned by the city or county. I highlighted a couple of areas. I would call this "extreme infill" as the lots are tight, the terrain is unusual, but there could be some really cool possibilities. I remember Logie mentioning that he would love to sell these hilly, unusual lots and start getting creative. Some examples below. Tell me if I'm nuts: :)

North Division north of the off-ramp. East side would go up lookout hill. I envision modern row-houses where the first level is garage/entry, with the main house on the 2nd and third level (w/ balconies and rooftop garden of course).

The west side is just an interesting strip of grass with possibilites.

327473736_81be72590d.jpg

West side of Division. Little lot with the crosses. East side, The "wedge" between division and whatever that small sidestreet is called. The wedge is actually quite wide near Michigan. The far west property is near the press and seems orphaned.

327490926_6ceda37002.jpg

I believe this is owned by Eeinhorn (sp?) on the River in front of the Plaza Towers. Totally underutilized. Second to last developable property on the river between Bridge and Fulton

327473742_4577d86f7c.jpg

Just some spots that I have noticed over the years on my endless wanderings through downtown. :)

Joe

Archived